Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Cassoday, KS

5K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  4DThinker 
#1 ·
First Sunday of each month, Cassoday, KS. breakfast run. 8am to noon, as many as 3000 cycles will show up in this small central-kansas town to socialize, inspect each other's bikes, shop (several vendors often show up), and whatnot. Everyone parks along mainstreet. You can hitch your ride to one of the many actual hitching rails that line the street.

So anyone in Kansas, southern Nebraska, northern Oklahoma or western Missouri might show up. And often bikers from much farther away just "happen" to make it a stop on their longer cruises. Everyone welcome. Town is very friendly. Don't count on eating breakfast though. The only little cafe in town can't handle the numbers.

My route from Manhattan, KS. is along KS 177, a fast and twisty scenic route, many elevation changes.

Search Google for "Cassoday" and "motorcycle" and you'll find several related links, many with pictures.

Hope to see you there!

#3 ·
Pauljo,

There are several small towns within an hour of Cassoday, and you might find a motel room. But summer is the really busy time, and many riders will have the same idea as you. Getting a room close by may be difficult. I'm in Manhattan, and as a University town we have several hotels, from cheap to expensive. From Manhattan down 177 it's 80ish miles to Cassoday. Council Grove is about half way, and you might find a room there. I figure I can leave Manhattan at 7:00 a.m., and get there between 8 and 9. If you stay in Manhattan, I'll come meet you at your hotel and we can ride down together.

Dave B.

#5 ·
Just a reminder, the Cassoday, KS. Breakfast Run happens again the first Sunday of May. That's this coming weekend, May 1st. Looks to be a clear day, but possibly a bit cool in the low 60s. I need to get some miles on my 650, so will either go by myself or with my wife if she's up to it. It's 80ish miles down a beautiful highway from Manhattan, KS. where I live. I've read there's a buffet set up to feed everyone. Begins at 8:00 a.m., with most people leaving by noon. If I go I'll leave Manhattan by 7:40 hoping to get there by 9:00ish. Highway 177 south from I-70 is a scenic route, with a few small towns to go through that usually have gas and quick-stops, and a Dairy Queen or Sonic or a Pizza Hut. Many have great home-style cafes too.

Let me know if you're going. It'll be great to meet anyone from here.

Dave B.

#7 ·
Pauljo,

I won't blame you for staying home with a cold. I may stay home just because it'll BE cold at 7:40 in the morning. We've had a few nights lately that went below freezing. If Cassoday was a lunch ride it would be 10:40 when I'd leave and a warmer afternoon trip back.

But I'll see. I'm still only on my third tank of gas. My 650 begs at me every time I'm in the garage to go for a ride. I do have cold-weather riding gear and know how to dress for a chilly ride. So I may yet go.

#8 ·
High temps are now forecasted to be only in the 50's both Saturday and Sunday. That means the temperatures during the morning hours will likely be in the 40's. I do have cold weather gear including Gerbing electric garments. But I am thinking that the turnout may be minimal - a lot of folks don't ride in those temperatures. I am still undecided.

#9 ·
Just a reminder. The first Sunday of June (1 week from today), anyone within reach of Cassoday, KS is welcome to join me or meet me there. It's a breakfast ride, and all is over by noon. Get there early (9:00 to 10:00) for most of the fun. Some venders, lots of bikes of various types. A nice scenic highway ride from the north on KS 177. 75-80 miles south of I-70 in Kansas. Easy reach from I-35. Anyone in KS, Nth Oklahoma, Sth Nebraska, West Missouri encouraged to attend. Not something one needs to do ALL the time, but something everyone should do at least ONCE.

Dave B.

#15 ·
I've had my Burgman 650 since March of this year, but June 5th was
the first sunday where the weather and schedule agreed to let me
ride down there. I'd gotten my 600 mile service the thursday
before, so felt the 650 would be up to the ride. I'm in Manhattan,
KS, about 80 miles north of Cassoday on KS 177. The trip was
delightful. My wife rode on back and it was our first chance to try
out the Motocomm AudioBoss AB-1 intercom system. With the exception
of a 9 mile 4-lane 70mph stretch from Manhattan to I-70, the route
is 60mph posted 2-lane smooth asphalt and a Kansas Scenic Highway
through Kansas' flint hills. The intercom let us talk easily with
each other along the way, and could be easily understood except at
70mph or greater with strong crosswinds. In that case we would duck
a little to get into the wind bubble and then could talk easily.

There were many cycles on the road. We left Manhattan about 7:45am
and could see a group of 5 or 6 Harleys up ahead. With three or
four stoplights before leaving town, we caught up to them. I
decided not to ride with them, mainly because of how noisy they
were. The 650 wanted to run faster, anyway, so we moved ahead. All
along the way we passed groups of riders gathered along the highway,
waiting for more of their members. Everyone waved. It appeared
everyone was heading to Cassoday. We slowed to go through Council
Grove, KS, and found all the quick-stops and such busy with bikers.
The ride continues south to Strong City where we found a dozen or so
riders waiting for a train to pass. We ended up falling in line
with them since there were too many to pass at once. That group was
an informal bunch with Goldwings, Harleys, a couple of sport bikes,
and my one Burgman 650. Everyone seemed to know to ride staggered
down the highway. It wasn't fun, mainly because the speed everyone
ran at kept varying. I finally shed most of them when they stopped
to join another group waiting. Cassody is about 45 miles south of
Council Grove, and I-177 cuts right through it. The whole town is
maybe 10 square blocks. There appeared to be a couple thousand
bikers there, and more arriving every minute.

We parked in an alleyway just off the highway. The second I pulled
off my helmet there was someone who'd seen me ride up and wanted to
ask about the 650. We chatted for 10 minutes or so, then went to
look for some breakfast. There was a tent selling breakfast
Burritos with coffee, so we bought a couple of those and sat down at
one of the many folding tables set up nearby. We chatted with a
rather large gentleman who sat down with a heaping plate of bacon,
eggs, sausage, rolls, and more. He'd bought the All-You-Can-Eat
buffet from the little cafe, and it looked like it was a good
investment for him.

I mainly just walked around looking for other Burgmans. I found a
silver 650 parked at the other end of the same alley I parked on.
There was a black 650 parked on a side street. As with me, no one
stayed with their bikes, so I had no way of knowing who in the crowd
belonged to these. Next month I think any Burgman riders going
should agree to park in the same place (like corner of Lincoln and
Main) and meet there at a certain time.

Some company had a portable dyno set up, and had a line of riders
waiting to get their bikes dynoed. There were several vendors along
the streets, mainly leather sellers and buyers, one Cassody
collectables tent and a few belt-buckles and jewelry places.

I bumped into another "scooter" rider that teaches with me at KSU.
He's a Vespa rider, but had brought his new-to-him but old BMW cycle
down there.

The ride back was nice too. Very good road, with long runs through
the flint hills. One high scenic overlook between Cassody and
Cottonwood Falls gives you a broad view of the valley below, with
maybe 15-20 miles visibility. There's another scenic outlook between
Manhattan and I-70. My only complaint was getting saddle weary.
The stock burgman seat seemed good for about an hour before my butt
got sore. My wife agrees, and had to shift her weight around
periodically. My back also needed more support, as the riding
position has my 6'1" slumped over a bit.

I doubt I'll go more than twice or three times a year. It's nice to
be able to say I've been there, but it's not something I need to go
back to every month. Everyone within reach should do that ride at
least once, though. Good roads. Good people. Good food. Good fun.

Dave B.
I posted some photos in the Gallery at:
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album74

#17 ·
Re: Cassidy,Ks

jalonne1 said:
Dave, we saw your Burgman there, but couldn't find you. Then when we went back to the Burgerman , you were gone. Sorry we missed you as we were parked close by on the other side of the road. Maybe next time when you go back there.
Dang! I would have loved to have met other Burgman owners. Perhaps with a bit more planning next month. My wife was with me and she was desperate for breakfast when we first arrived. We got there about 9:15 and left about 10:30. I spent most of the time just walking around looking for other burgmans, but apparently didn't see yours. I guess if you got there after me, I had already walked down the highway past where you ended up.

I'd propose meeting at Lincoln and Main, at 10:00. Everyone bring their Burgman over there even if they originally park somewhere else. I'll probably just park near there when I get there. Come over even if you're on another bike, so long as you've got a burgman at home. We could (or I will) make little cards to drop on any others we see to invite them to that corner at that time.

Dave B.

#18 ·
Tomorrow, July 3rd is a Cassoday, KS breakfast run. Just a reminder for anyone interested.

I won't be there. Too many July 4th related obligations happening on the 3rd. I AM putting the August run on my schedule, though.

Have fun. Ride safe.

Dave B.

#19 ·
Just a monthly reminder....

1st Sunday this month is August 7th. Cassoday, KS motorcycle breakfast run. Tiny town where literally thousands of riders show up with all sorts of cycles and trikes. Great scenic drive there from almaost all directions.

If you're in striking distance consider going. You can find it on Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/  Enter Cassoday, KS.

#22 ·
I temporarily made this a "sticky post" so that I don't have to search for it again. I believe these gatherings are held the First Sunday of each month from May to September. I'm going to get there at least one time this year! If anything has changed in the schedule for 2006, please advise via this thread. (There were a couple of shorter threads, but this seemed to be the primary one.)

#23 ·
Breakfast in Caddoday, KS

Several us from MInneapolis will be i Cassoday for breakfast on May 7th. We're staying in Emporia, abougt 35 miles n northeast of Cassoday and we'll b e in town about 0830, and staying about three hours or before heading to the Barber Motorsports Museum nearf irmingham AL

I hope to be riding the New 650- by then, so maybe we'll see you there.

#24 ·
See you there

4DThinker said:
Just a reminder, the Cassoday, KS. Breakfast Run happens again the first Sunday of May. That's this coming weekend, May 1st. Looks to be a clear day, but possibly a bit cool in the low 60s. I need to get some miles on my 650, so will either go by myself or with my wife if she's up to it. It's 80ish miles down a beautiful highway from Manhattan, KS. where I live. I've read there's a buffet set up to feed everyone. Begins at 8:00 a.m., with most people leaving by noon. If I go I'll leave Manhattan by 7:40 hoping to get there by 9:00ish. Highway 177 south from I-70 is a scenic route, with a few small towns to go through that usually have gas and quick-stops, and a Dairy Queen or Sonic or a Pizza Hut. Many have great home-style cafes too.

Let me know if you're going. It'll be great to meet anyone from here.

Dave B.
I am in TOPEKA, KS

I ride with the GWTA here because I have not found a burgman club or hybrid club with Burgmans here.. My wife and I plan to attend now that we are aware of this... I am installing the MCcruise in my 650 when it arrives so I will be happy to show any that are interested in cruise control for the 650's....

See you there :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.