Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a postcard from Motorcycles International, a company that will buy used motorcycles ('85 and newer). A friend and myself sold our bikes (Venture & Wing) to these people about 6 years ago. They offered us a fair price (not top dollar but still, a fair price). Neither of us wanted to go through the advertising, dealing with potential buyers who are looking for something for nothing, test rides, etc. This seemed a good alternative.
I called them and after an honest description of my Wing (mint condition) they offered a price which I agreed to. This was with an understanding that if the bike was not as described, they would negotiate another price.
They called me back a day or two later and arranged a date to pick up my bike.
Sure enough, their driver called me from Buffalo, NY the day before the scheduled pick-up and confirmed our time and got final directions to my house. He arrived the next morning (a Sunday) driving a Ford F-250 pickup towing a huge enclosed trailer with at least 10 - 12 motorcycles in it and at least 5 dirt bikes in the bed. He inspected my Wing and promptly counted out $10,000 in bills and I signed the title and gave it to him. I helped him carefully pack the Wing into the trailer and away he went to pick up my buddy's Venture.
I don't know how interested they are in scooters but, if you have a bike you want to sell with no hassle, it's a good way to go - at least based on my experience.
Here's the link: http://www.sellusyourbike.com 1-800-963-9216

Don

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had them give me a quote for my bike...
$3800

NADA quotes this for it:

February 9, 2005 print this page

Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price
$4,225 $5,560
Options
Engine Guards (Chrome): $64 $75
Saddle Bags (Pair): $86 $100
TOTAL PRICE $4,375 $5,735

I guess your place isn't so good afterall.

·
Registered
520 Posts
wilder days said:
I had them give me a quote for my bike...
$3800

NADA quotes this for it:

February 9, 2005 print this page

Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price
$4,225 $5,560
Options
Engine Guards (Chrome): $64 $75
Saddle Bags (Pair): $86 $100
TOTAL PRICE $4,375 $5,735

I guess your place isn't so good afterall.
Easier to just let your local dealer have it at wholesale book. At least you know their check is good.......Sad the way people in trouble can get screwed. Oh wait, that's how the Pawn Shop got started......

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Wilder Days,

You can't use the "Retail" figures to compare. That is unrealistic, because they are buying the bikes for resale and in business to make money. Your dealer won't come close to those retail figures either. The only way you can get retail dollars is to sell it yourself.

If you look at the NADA wholesale figures, then you will see if they are offering a good deal for a quick buyout. From my experience with dealers, they will usually try to steal the bike for less than wholesale. So if this outfit is anywhere near the wholesale mark, they are being fair.

Incidently, from what I've heard, they generally resell these machines overseas.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well Paul,
My bike is in great condition. it has tons fo goodies on it, and will also come with the original seat, never sat on, and a spare set of mufflers, in great condition.
If I don't get close to high retail, I won't be getting a burgman. As far as I'm concerned, its a collectors bike, as they don't make that model anymore, and for those who love the "cruiser" look, the intruder 1400 fits that bill, so I'm sure it will sell off fast.
I'll be doing some shopping around, see who offers up the best deal. I have three dealers I can deal with come spring.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Good luck. Some dealers will take a machine in on consignment if they think it will sell quickly and if they have the floor space. Generally they get a percentage of the sale - or a fixed dollar amount (usually several hundred). But you usually make out better that way than what they'd offer on a straight trade in. I did that with my GoldWing and made out OK. Took about a month to sell it.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pauljo said:
Incidently, from what I've heard, they generally resell these machines overseas.
Paul, I asked the fellow who picked up my bike about that. He said they generally sell them in the southern states where they have extended riding seasons and there's a 12 month market.
I agree with some of the other posts that I probably would have gotten more money had I sold the bike myself to a private party (I wasn't planning on trading it in and getting another bike). But, having sold a couple of cars myself, I didn't want to go through the advertising, the calls that set appointments that never show, tire-kickers, people who just want a test ride and the one's who just want to insult you and get the bike for next to nothing.
As I recall, dealers were asking about $11,000 - $12,000 for 3 year old Wings like mine (mine in '96 was a little less than $13,000 new) so I didn't feel the price I got was too out of line. It was worth it to me - one phone call and in less than a week the bike was gone and I had the cash in hand.
Don

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
DonRich90 said:
But, having sold a couple of cars myself, I didn't want to go through the advertising, the calls that set appointments that never show, tire-kickers, people who just want a test ride and the one's who just want to insult you and get the bike for next to nothing.
Yes, I've been through that. The no shows are irritating, and I am very reluctant to give test rides on a bike that I own. Plus, if there is a problem, they could be back knocking on your door (even if they caused the problem).

The one exception was when I sold my Kawasaki Concours a couple of years ago before moving. I waited 3 weeks to get a call. I then got one call, the guy came out with cash in his pocket and bought it. No test ride requested. Smooth as silk. But that is often not the way it goes.

I did call a company that buys motorcycles, possibly the same one you dealt with. However, they did not want to buy a Kawasaki Concours - not fast enough sales turnover. Makes me wonder if they'd buy Burgmans.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My "test ride" policy has always been: "I hold the CASH-you hold the bike". NO substitutions, period. I never discuss ANY discounts on the phone. I advise them IF they come and see it, and IF they are serious, they will buy it. Never had a squirrell that way. BEFORE I played polite hardball, I needed a squirrel GUN! :p

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pauljo said:
Makes me wonder if they'd buy Burgmans.
I'd be surprised if they were interested in Burgmans. I'm sure there's even less of a general market for our scooters than for the Concours.
My thoughts in posting this link was it's just another option for selling a bike that I'm sure a lot of people aren't aware of.
In response to one of your previous comments about selling the bikes overseas, there was (and may still be) a company in Baltimore that did just that. They were located near the marine terminal and would pay good money for most bikes, especially Harleys.
A lot of local riders would just take their bikes to them, negotiate a deal, get paid in cash and leave the bike. Within a couple of weeks the bike was shipped overseas.
Don

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Last year I donated an old Moto Guzzi and will deduct the retail price off my income tax. Same sort of set up...a call or two, prompt pick up. Even had a call back that it was nice like I described. Took a bunch of pics for tax man just in case. Going prices were much much lower than the retail and they are hard bikes to sell. Have done that with cars in the past and it sure beats haggling with buyers and dealers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Unless you're lucky enough to find a buyer who wants your bike customized the way you've set it up, you'll always do better selling the parts separately. It's been my experience that dealers will not pay extra for them.....

wilder days said:
Well Paul,
My bike is in great condition. it has tons fo goodies on it, and will also come with the original seat, never sat on, and a spare set of mufflers, in great condition.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Generally, donating a car or motorcycle is not a good thing. Although you are deducting a figure from gross income, in reality you are only receiving a benefit of tax savings based on your tax rate.

For example: $5,000 deduction times a 28% tax rate equals receiving only $1,400 for the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts