Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vivi and I drug the Burgie out of the garage for a ride down to the Monterey/Carmel area. I noticed that the Burgman acted stiff and cold. I figure anything that's been sitting for a month is bound to be a little tight.

In our case, the sun was quite warm and the air, cold. In the distance, we saw the dark line of an front coming in off the Ocean. We cut off on San Andreas Rd. and dropped down by the Ocean. Numerous water soaked farmers fields carpeted the land down to the sea. It's great seeing wide open coastal lands w/o houses all over them.

We pulled into our favorite Moss Landing sea food restaurant and noticed a middle aged couple on a shiny new HD Sporster following us in. I figured it to be one of their $5999 models I've seen advertised. It is so shiny that it must be just off the showroom floor. I could tell the passenger hadn't spent much time on bikes. The passenger seat was a rakish strip of leather. I was impressed with the amount of HD apparel this couple was wearing. HD Boots, Chaps, shirts, vests, jackets, necklaces, rings, bandanas. Survey says they were into the apparel as much as the bike. Do we have a Burgman fashion line?

Lunch was delicious. Calamari steak. Vivi went for the Jumbo Shrimp Alfredo. mmm.

We mounted the Burgie and I felt the pull of the open road. I wasn't ready to head back yet. We hit the open highway down towards Carmel. I was aware that the bike was feeling more limber.

Vivian commented that my riding was a bit off. Day in and Day out riding brings you to that Zen, where body, mind and bike meld together. 30 days of driving the truck and it's apparent I've lost some of it. I slowed down a bit.

The Southeastern most part of Monterey bay has a picturesque peninsula with forested uplands. The houses would remind you of old San Francisco. This is the land so beautifully described in Steinbeck's book, Cannery Row. This is the area that Clint Eastwood, Bob Hope and many others call home.

As Hwy 1 approaches the Monterey/Carmel area, the 4 lane slab of cement turns into a busy, tight, two lane road passing through the forests.
First I notice that the traffic has jammed to a stop, then Patrol cars pass by. Someone has wrecked. The Burgie crawls forward through the crowd of slow moving Mercedes and Lexus'. I can see that someone has hit a dirt berm on the side of the road and glanced off a tree the size of a trash can. I can see a small radiator with fans, a cluster of ambulances, some stern faced officers and a biker lying on his back, 5 car lengths in front of the tree. I hate to say it, but the way he was quivering didn't look good. Another 5 car lengths down the road was a bright yellow Honda F4I laying on it's side, the pipe was torn clear off and gas was bleeding out onto the roadway . The F-4 must have been tumbling to go twice as far.

I murmured my convictions for safe riding, said my prayers of thanks for so many years of safe riding and renewed my thoughts that the Burgman was the safest bike for me to be riding. I was starting to feel the Zen of riding coming back to me.

I figure the F-4 rider was shoulder passing and ran off the road hitting the tree. The distance he flew put him at about 45 mph when he hit the tree. The rider is in my prayers.

We made a left onto Carmel Valley road and snaked our way up this picturesque valley. About mid way up the valley, we made a left on the Laurelles grade, which goes 1260 feet straight up over the ridge and then straight down the other side. I must say that the Burgman charged right up the hill and the engine braking was super for winding down the back side.

I caught myself stealing glances of the valleys, checkerboard fields and coastal mountain ranges. I considered the steep grade. I wonder if going downhill this steep runs the gear oil to the forward part of the driveline. mmmm, this might really help those gears and berings up front of the drive.

We turned down Reservation road, back to the highway and home as orange sunlight sliced down through the clouds. It was a good to get some riding in to break up those long weeks in the office.

Ride safe

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Craig - you are an artist! :thumbright:
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks for sharing your ride . I've been suffering from PMS (parked Motorcycle syndrome) up here in the great white north and really enjoyed your read, well except for the fallen rider part.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Great article!

Just like being there. You paint a good picture.

I even got that queasy feeling in my stomach and brassy taste in my mouth, like we all do when we see a fellow human being, squirming in pain.

I remember a similar scene, only the driver had flown out of a convertible (before seatbelts were compulsory), onto the pavement.

The rest of your trip was almost like the dream I have every springtime, ever since I gave up my 650 twin about 200 years ago.

I lived vicariously.......... :)
Sigh....

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Oooh ... looks like some fun roads. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks for a good story. It sounds like a whole lot of riding and thinking in just a short time. I'm glad that you are one with the scooter again.

I hope the guy on the F4i turns out better than expected. Sometimes sportbikes can trick a guy into believing they are "Master of the Universe," defying physics and traffic. Look again grasshopper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts