Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cardo-scala-rider-g9x-headset

My riding buddies and I are thinking about taking the next step and investing in communicators. The above is the one being bantered about.

Does anyone have anything particularly positive or negative to say about the Scala?

Is there a different communicator that anyone REALLY thinks is superior?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I and two of my riding buddies have the G4 Scalas. Two of us had to send our units back and they were replaced under warrantee. We can all talk at the same time without having to push any buttons. Bluetooth works with them well too. Don't know about the G9 models but the G4's have a pretty short bike to bike range of about a half a mile and if you go around a curve or get a car or truck between you then you lose each other.

Pluses are they give you a good 10 hour talk time on a single charge. Of course, you can plug you a charger into it while you are riding if you want and then you have unlimited talk time.

Overall, we are happy with our Scala units and would buy them again.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Several year back purchase the Cardo Scala Multiset, use that about 3 year it was ok, then G9 become available, purchase set, it 10 time better than previous system, great reception, stereo sound and thinner speaker, less affected by wind noise, boom microphone better, sound much cleaner and louder, can connect 8-9 together, excellent range most everywhere about 1 mile or so, in mountain range shorten however which very normal, easy connect with other unit by simply tapping unit together, can handle phone & GPS easy, battery last 9-10 hour, can do update of firmware or software via any computer, G9x have a couple of good improvement that make even better, believe begin season 4 now with G9 and so far no problem, battery work fine when season end last December, extremely please with G9, would purchase again over anything else.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am holding out for the Sena 20S due next month or so. What I like about the Sena SMH10 is the large dial design and their software updates, which recently claim to add communication to other brands using BT signals.

I don't have any wireless system yet. My buddies and I use older Autocomplete with separate GMRS radios for many years now. It works but the wires have always been annoying, several batteries to keep charged, and getting the VOX setting just right is tricky.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have the Scala G4 setup for the wife and I to use. Works well.

Rustydust, I just got AC 110v chargers with mine. How did you find a charger to hook to the bike?

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have the Scala G2 and Q4 and both work okay when working and battery is phenomenal - out G2s are going on 4 years old and still good for a day of riding..BUT

I'd go Sena.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use this and it works well with me and passenger (either one of my kids). One push of the button = intercom, press and hold the button while on intercom = sharing music from one source, conference calling/intercom (have not tried personally), Bluetooth (streaming my music from my phone). Firmware updates (needs product registration). They just recently released version 5.0 in which you can pair the Sena to any other communicator. It's good bang for the buck. Amazon has the best price too.

Amazon.com: Sena SMH10D-10 Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset/Intercom 2- Count: Automotive

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I also started with the Cardo Scala Multiset Q-3, then G-4 then the G-9. In our club we feel they are a must have. I recommend them often when people ask. If you have a problem within the two year warranty they give you a brand new unit that's the good, the bad thing is after the warranty ends there is no support. They do not do repairs. I still use and like there products but I wish they would offer repair services. That said I haven't needed any repair work because I keep upgrading. But if I stop upgrading I would think eventually the battery may stop holding a charge.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also started with the Cardo Scala Multiset Q-3, then G-4 then the G-9. In our club we feel they are a must have. I recommend them often when people ask. If you have a problem within the two year warranty they give you a brand new unit that's the good, the bad thing is after the warranty ends there is no support. They do not do repairs. I still use and like there products but I wish they would offer repair services. That said I haven't needed any repair work because I keep upgrading. But if I stop upgrading I would think eventually the battery may stop holding a charge.
My understanding is that even in the group paring mode, you can still only talk to one, maybe two other riders at one time. There is no CB radio type talk where you can communicate with everyone at once. Is that true? If so, to what benefit is there to it in a club or group ride?

I'm mostly going to use this with my riding buddies. It'd be very inconvenient having to call them one by one when we want to take a bathroom break, for instance.

·
Registered
438 Posts
We had Chatterbox and switched to Cardo Scala. They are adequate, but I would not buy them again, not for $500 a pair. The SENA MH-10 has an easier interface and better range at 2/3 the price. Read the reviews on webbikeworld.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Liamjs, With the the G-9s they tell you that you can talk to four people constant and five more people on demand giving you nine total. We have had five and six people constant but when you get six people it's hard to avoid dropping one. Each unit has an A and B channel, you can link two units A to A, then each unit can link to another unit on there B channel. That gives you the four they say will work. We have found out that you can hook up one or two more units to the second set of units. It's not as confusing as it sounds when you have them in front of you. Here is a PDF of the user manual. Hope this helps. http://www.cardosystems.com/user_files/Manuals/scala_G9/scalarider_G9_manual_en.pdf

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Liamjs, With the the G-9s they tell you that you can talk to four people constant and five more people on demand giving you nine total. We have had five and six people constant but when you get six people it's hard to avoid dropping one. Each unit has an A and B channel, you can link two units A to A, then each unit can link to another unit on there B channel. That gives you the four they say will work. We have found out that you can hook up one or two more units to the second set of units. It's not as confusing as it sounds when you have them in front of you. Here is a PDF of the user manual. Hope this helps. http://www.cardosystems.com/user_files/Manuals/scala_G9/scalarider_G9_manual_en.pdf
There are five in our little group, so perhaps this will work out. I downloaded the manual, which is why I questioned it I the first place.

Thanks so much for your help. I think this might be a wise investment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts