Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-12-volt-electric-horn-set-99911.html

My buddies and I installed these dual car horns in our 650s today. D4mn loud and cheap. Took about two hours. There's plenty of room to mount them under the front cowling.

I scared the bejesus out of some dude who almost jaywalked in front of me without looking where he was going. Stopped him dead in his tracks; he thought an Escalade was about to hit him :D

Reactions: wm23oh

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I hope you ran wires directly from the battery to power them and used the existing horn wiring to control them with a relay instead of just plugging them into the existing wiring.

I installed an aftermarket horn like that on my 400 and did not run new wires. After a few years it shorted out internally and blew the signal fuse causing the bike to quit running.

I've got some installed on my 650 but I ran new fused power wires with relays to power them. That way if they short out all that happens is the horns quit working.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yup, all new 18 gauge wires directly from the battery (that was the tricky part). The unit comes with the relay.

Next up is the 400. I bought two units today.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Think I will swing by Harbor Freight on Monday and pick up a pair for my 650. Had been planning on putting a better horn on the bike anyway and $10 is for sure cheap. I had air horns on my Honda Pacific Coast. Scared more than one driver who was sure that they were going to get run over by a semi. Good horns will wake the people up who have there heads buried in their cell phones texting.

Doug

·
Registered
347 Posts
I can't remember the last time I used my horn intentionally. The only time mine gets honked is when I accidentally push the button, usually at night.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The HF horns are well made clones of the Fiamm Freeway Blasters which sell separately (high and low note) for $12 each; and the Wolo Maxi-Sound units (about $24 a pair)--$10 for both with wiring and a control relay is a good deal.

They can suck up some current and using a relay to control them is essential to preserve the horn switch and get the maximum sound from the horns: Here is the current draw of the Wolo Maxi-Sound pair:

25A initial draw, then 18A peaks and a 10A average consumption.

Here's a schematic for connecting them up; just one horn is shown the other would be wired in parallel with it:

Here is how they fit into my '03 400:

Please excuse my use of brown wire for the +12V to the horns--I ran out of 14 ga. red.

The grounds are connected to the horns' mounting stud/brackets/bike chassis--the bike chassis is an entirely reliable ground for this purpose.

Connections to the OEM horn connector can be made with crimp-on 3/16" male spade connectors, or trimmed down 1/4" males spades.

Put the relay in a plastic bag, seal it up tightly with electrical tape, and stuff it in out of the way...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Dang I wish I had space to do this kind of work on my 400. Apartment complex won't let us do any vehicle work in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Could someone post a step by step for those of us that are elctronicly inept? I've been wanting to do this on my 650. My 400's exhaust is loud enough lol

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Step order is not important -- just connect proper wires according to the diagram, and don't forget to disconnect the battery terminals and the main fuse before you begin.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Having heard a Stebel Nautilus on a bike...all I can say is ME WANT!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I installed an aftermarket horn like that on my 400 and did not run new wires. After a few years it shorted out internally and blew the signal fuse causing the bike to quit running.
Mileage varies.

I installed such a Horn on my Honda Reflex, plugging it into the existing horn wiring. It's been running fine for 14 years.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about the Stebel Nautilus, Wolo Bad Boy and Fiamm Ultimate Blast--which are pretty much all the same (Stebel and Fiamm are owned by the same company)--is that while they are LOUD (125 to 135+ dB) they are also power hungry little suckers--wanting 36 to 40A at startup and 16 to 18A continuous.

This is the current draw for the Bad Boy:

I had a Bad Boy on my 400 for a while but found it did not like to produce a couple of short quick "beep-beep" warning blasts as it took time for the compressor to spin up; and it was also quite a load on the 400's electrical system. I sold it to a forum member with a 650 as a sort of "plug 'n play" kit:

It was replaced with a pair of Fiamm Freeway Blasters, ($16 each, high and low note, on Amazon) are 133 dB, require 10A less startup current (25 vs. 36A) and can easily produce a couple or more quick short blasts without the compressor delay of the electro-pneumatic "air" horns...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Although I would LOVE to do this I'm too terrified to try it. I have had 4 close calls in the past 2 months of cagers coming into my lane almost sideswiping me. I hit my horn break and veer away but most don't stop coming over.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Although I would LOVE to do this I'm too terrified to try it. I have had 4 close calls in the past 2 months of cagers coming into my lane almost sideswiping me. I hit my horn break and veer away but most don't stop coming over.
It is not difficult--any competent bike shop should be able to do the whole job in less than an hour. Or find an auto-electric shop that takes on odd-ball jobs, many of they do.

Bring copies of the circuit diagram and photos I posted above and ask; getting run down by a car sucks...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update...

I installed the same set up in my 400. Took all of an hour and a half with my buddy (he's the electrician) and bearly any Tupperware came off. Just the little strip panel below the dash. We accessed power off the starter relay connections, which are on the right side of it.

Sounds great, but I'm not happy with the horn placement; they kick around a bit when I stop. Might retry later, but it's fine for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts