Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the 600-mile service on my 2013 B-650. Other than tightening screws and bolts, most of the service is changing all the fluids.

Engine oil change, no problem, took a bit over 3 qts.
Final drive oil change, no problem, took about 1/3 qt.
Transmission oil change, however was a different story!

The capacity listed in the owner's manual specs shows about 400ml (about 1/2 qt). The instructions call for filling it until oil is up to the top of the fill hole. When I drained it, it looked to be more than 1/2 qt, and when I refilled, the thing took over 1 1/2 qts!

Anybody else run into this? Seems like a pretty large difference between listed capacity and reality capacity, and also between the 2013 model and earlier models.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
I think you have over filled the transmission. There is a fill hole and another lower hole that is used to get the proper level. You need to remove the level plug and allow the oil to drain to that level. Check out LeDudes Burgman Center for instructions.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I would suspect you filled it to the wrong place. There are three plugs on the transmission. The drain plug on the bottom of the engine. The funny looking fill plug at the top and an overflow plug about halfway down the side of the transmission. You fill it until it runs out the overflow plug hole, not the fill plug hole.

The overflow plug looks like a regular bolt without the long extension that sticks out from the plug proper on the fill plug.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just finished the 600-mile service on my 2013 B-650. Other than tightening screws and bolts, most of the service is changing all the fluids.

Engine oil change, no problem, took a bit over 3 qts.
Final drive oil change, no problem, took about 1/3 qt.
Transmission oil change, however was a different story!

The capacity listed in the owner's manual specs shows about 400ml (about 1/2 qt). The instructions call for filling it until oil is up to the top of the fill hole. When I drained it, it looked to be more than 1/2 qt, and when I refilled, the thing took over 1 1/2 qts!

Anybody else run into this? Seems like a pretty large difference between listed capacity and reality capacity, and also between the 2013 model and earlier models.
No! No! No! Not to the top of the fill hole! Only to the oil level hole.

·
Registered
42 Posts
To dispose of oil, ask around some mechanic shopos and a lot of them have waste oil burning furnaces.
They will take you oil and probably ask you in the future if you have any more!!!
JimV

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
And then there's the oil migration issue, which some of us have, where engine oil migrates to the transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts