Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago, when I moved out to Colorado Springs, I didn't take my burgman 400, because I didn't know where to park the trailer. Now that I know, I want to trailer my burgman 400 to Colorado Springs, so I wish to purchase a set of canyon dancer. Does anyone have any recommendations as which ones should I purchase?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Canyon Dancer II model with the "cups" is easier on the grips than the earlier model which has a lot of friction on the grips.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have used one for years. It works well.

I thought the one with the plastic cups was for bikes without bar end weights because of the pressure the cups apply to the end weight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have used one for years. It works well.

I thought the one with the plastic cups was for bikes without bar end weights because of the pressure the cups apply to the end weight.
I believe the old model has been phased out and they only make the new model with the cups.

I keep a pair of C.D.'s in case I trailer on someone else's trailer. My trailer has a Condor motor scooter wheel chock. I tie down to the lower triple-tree and tie-down points on the rear of the frame. The only way to go IMO.

·
Registered
240 Posts
canyon dancer?

About 3 months ago, when I moved out to Colorado Springs, I didn't take my burgman 400, because I didn't know where to park the trailer. Now that I know, I want to trailer my burgman 400 to Colorado Springs, so I wish to purchase a set of canyon dancer. Does anyone have any recommendations as which ones should I purchase?
For all of us 'on this side of the pond' (UK)......whats a canyon dancer ?:confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just measured my 2008 400 (with a 1' ruler holding it in the air). It seems to be just over 28". I'd get the one for up to 32".

Have I read somewhere in here where handlebars have been bent using these?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The bending problem occurs on the 650. It is a heavier bike and the tubing the handle bars are made out of is thinner walled. I personally know 2 folks that have ended up with bent handlebars when using canyon dancers on 650s and have read about a couple of more on here. I can't remember reading where anyone has had that issue with a 400.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
For all of us 'on this side of the pond' (UK)......whats a canyon dancer ?:confused:
I didn't know what they were either and I don't live on your side of the pond. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Picture in your mind, 2 straps, each with a cup on the end.
Now picture a fabric sleeve, with a strap pushed through
from each end, & the cup hanging loose at each end
of the sleeve.
The cup on the left fits over the left handlegrip, & the
cup on the right fits over the handlegrip on the right.
Now, pull each strap tight. The strap on the right
is pulling on the left handlegrip, & the strap on the left
is pulling on the right handlegrip, with both straps
going through the sleeve in the center. The straps
crisscross going through the center sleeve. This is
how a Canyon Dancer works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the old model has been phased out and they only make the new model with the cups.

I keep a pair of C.D.'s in case I trailer on someone else's trailer. My trailer has a Condor motor scooter wheel chock. I tie down to the lower triple-tree and tie-down points on the rear of the frame. The only way to go IMO.
When I first purchased the Burgman, and went to pick it up, the front wheel mount that I had didn't fit because of the 14" wheel was too small. I should have put a 2x4 on the trailer, but I didn't think about it at the time. Luckily, before I went to pick it up in Cherry Hill, NJ, a buddy of mine lend me his Canyon Dancers (the old type), and using them I took the Burgman back to Maine. In Maine, I bought the Condor motor scooter wheel chock (you have to use the last hole, 14" wheels barely fit). I like the idea of tieing down using the lower triple-tree, but there is so much plastic, I'm afraid it would rub against it as I drove. I figure with the Condor wheel chock, the canyon dancers to help keep it upright, and the mounts in the back, I should be okay to trailer it 1500 miles.

Right after I get out of school here (I'm going to bible school in Colorado), I plan on going riding in Dakotas, Wyoming, + Colorado, and preach to gospel to the world, and I can't think of a better way of doing it than on a Burgman.
;)

BTW, I would appreciate it, if you had a picture of how you used the triple-tree mounts.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I hauled my 650 from Youngstown, OH to Tucson, AZ (4,200 miles) round trip and from Youngstown to Sioux City, Iowa (2000 miles) round trip and had no issues. Great product. My guess is that anyone that bent bars overtightened the tie-downs. Which is an easy to do common mistake.
Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts