Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to ride to work this morning. The temp at the time was 17degF. I loaded up my Burgie in the garage. I put my bag for work with my thumb drives, files, MP3 player and everything else I needed to do a days work under the seat. I rode the 18 miles to work feeling pretty dang good! It was only very cold when I had to crack my visor after stopping at light so it would clear up. However, when I got to work, my key would not open the seat. My hands were to cold try it too many times, so I came into the plant and decided to go out later and try again. I just got back from trying again, and it still would not open. It seemed like the key would not go in far enough to make the turn. I have given up trying in the parking lot. It is just too **** cold. But when I get home tonight, I got to get it open and I need to make sure this doesn't happen again. I saw somewhere a long time ago where someone designed what amounted to an emergency unlock mechanism with wire and a ring which was installed at the latch. Anybody got any ideas? :help:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Before you go to that trouble, try pushing down on the back of the seat as you turn the key. If your arms aren't long enough, have someone else do it. Once in a while I find that necessary when the latch gets hung up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As Pauljo said, I have to push down on my seat sometimes to get it to open especially when I've put too much stuff in there.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
It's a 'nice' 26°F and I just went up to the local Quik Mart convenience store for necessary supplies (cigarettes and a pizza). Both the parking brake and the trunk were frozen when I left home and arrived at the store. I decided to leave the bike running while they made the pizza and stood outside with it smoking and drinking coffee. By the time the pizza was done (about 15 minutes), both the parking brake and the seat latch were working fine. You can try leaving the Burgman running if they ever freeze up on you. I advise staying with the bike if you do leave it running.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Maybe a 12v hairdryer*** or some other 'heat gun' device.
I believe the manual also advises 'de-icer' to be applied to the shutter mechanism.

PS: and no that is not so you can smoke,drink coffee and dry your hair! :lol:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Norman,

Using a heat gun isn't nearly as much fun as standing by the bike and being asked the same question over and over, "Aren't you cold riding that thing???"
:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It happened again! Today was 16degF, felt like 11degF according to http://www.weather.com This time, I put my jumpdrives in my planner. and stuck my planner in my Givi box. I put the rest of my stuff in the trunk space under the seat and proceeded to work. I must admit, it seemed colder than the last time. Anyway, I got to work and again the key would not open the seat. The last time it happened, as soon as I got home and parked in the garage the switch started working (Note it would not open in the parking lot after I got off work.) It has got to be the cold weather! I guess the Suzuki designers didn't test the switch below 32 deg, or maybe I am crazy to be riding in this weather. My biker buddies said I had a chip on my shoulder. They think I am trying to show them up. Fact is, my bike is a commuter. If its not rainning or snowing (and my wife don't have any honeydos for when I get off work), my first option is ride my Burgie. Thanks for all the info on the seat problem. :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Hey Gary,

You're not the only 'nut' out riding in the cold. :) I've had the trunk frozen shut 3 times when I needed it. My guess is it's moisture in the cable freezing up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts