Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a strap or attachment near the Burgman 650 seat for attaching a helmet to when you're away from the bike. Where exactly is it (can't see it!) and how does it work?

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
It is on the left side near the front of the seat in front of the main fuses. It looks like a piece of formed sheet metal with a hook on the end. You can't attach a helmet directly to it.

Where the tool kit is stored there should be a short length of cable with a loop on each end. You run the cable through the D rings on your helmet then slide the two loops over the hook on the hanger then close the seat.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have found the best storage for my helmet is either under the seat or in my top box. Most of the time, I just carry my helmet into where ever I am going. That cable and hook is a pain in the @ss.

Doug

·
Registered
770 Posts
Does the 650 not use the same setup as the 400?

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
I have found the best storage for my helmet is either under the seat or in my top box. Most of the time, I just carry my helmet into where ever I am going. That cable and hook is a pain in the @ss.

Doug
My Nolan helmet does not have D rings so I can't use the helmet hooks on either my 400 or 650 anyway. Mine goes under the seat or in the top box if one of those areas is empty, otherwise it goes in the building with me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Does the 650 not use the same setup as the 400?
The 400 actually has two helmet hooks, one on either side of the seat, WAY up at the front. It's is possible to get a helmet D-ring around them, but it ain't easy. My suggestion, for those interested, is to get one of those little cables with the hoops at the end, put it through the D-ring and the hoops through the hooks on the bike. Much easier. Or just put it under the seat.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
The other thing I have done when on trips where all my storage space is occupied with luggage is to carry a short bicycle cable lock. When I go in someplace and I don't want to take the helmet and jacket inside I loop the bicycle cable through the face shield opening on the helmet and a sleeve on my jacket and lock the cable through the passenger grab handles. That secures the jacket and helmet to the top of the seat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have found that depending on the helmet I can attach it directly to the attachment on the bike. However since my bike didn't come with the cable I use a bike lock cable as well for securing it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Living here in Florida it's nice to carry your helmet in with you and when you go back out your helmet is nice and cool to start back on your ride.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The 400 actually has two helmet hooks, one on either side of the seat, WAY up at the front. It's is possible to get a helmet D-ring around them, but it ain't easy. My suggestion, for those interested, is to get one of those little cables with the hoops at the end, put it through the D-ring and the hoops through the hooks on the bike. Much easier. Or just put it under the seat.
I wear a 2XL full face lid and have never had any trouble getting it on my 2012 400's helmet hook. (In contrast, the helmet lock on my Helix wouldn't take a FF lid, period.)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have found that depending on the helmet I can attach it directly to the attachment on the bike. However since my bike didn't come with the cable I use a bike lock cable as well for securing it.
Thanks, and thanks for all the comments.

I didn't get the "cable with hoops" when I got my Burgman.

I'm looking to maximize storage on the bike when traveling, so storing the helmet in the underseat area (tub) or in the topbox isn't an option for me - the underseat tub will be occupied by a Cee Bailey's "BurgBag 650": http://www.ceebaileys.com/bags/burg_bag.html

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would you recommend for someone lacking the "cable with hoops"? Can Suzuki supply a replacement cable? That would be more convenient than sung a bike lock.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I wear a 2XL full face lid and have never had any trouble getting it on my 2012 400's helmet hook. (In contrast, the helmet lock on my Helix wouldn't take a FF lid, period.)
Having a 2XL helmet, perhaps your fastening straps are a little longer than most other helmets. Mines an XL and its a bit of a struggle.

FYI, the Helix had one of those "cables with hoops". I had to order it, but worked great after that.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
What would you recommend for someone lacking the "cable with hoops"? Can Suzuki supply a replacement cable? That would be more convenient than sung a bike lock.
You could go to the local hardware store and buy a short length of 1/8 inch wire rope and a couple of wire rope sleeves and make one. That is all there is to the one Suzuki supplies.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
352 Posts
^ This!

Or, if you happen to own any firearms, many new ones came with a nice padlock with about a 10" plastic-coated cable, which would also work well for this purpose. ;)
Or you could get one, probably free, from any gun dealer/sporting goods store.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Buffalo;1036874[B said:
]My Nolan helmet does not have D rings[/B] so I can't use the helmet hooks on either my 400 or 650 anyway. Mine goes under the seat or in the top box if one of those areas is empty, otherwise it goes in the building with me.
This can be fixed. Thread a standard 1" spiral keyring through the loop on the end of the chinstrap where the buckle attaches. When attached to the helmet holder, it's not visible or accessible to anyone wanting to "un-thread" it to remove the helmet. (On a 650 using the double-loop helmet-hanger wire, this may not be quite such a good idea...)

A more secure version of this is to make a short loop of, say, 1/16" or 3/32" coated wire, strip the ends for a cable swage (wire rope sleeve), thread it through the same space I mentioned for the keyring, and swage it to itself.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
This can be fixed. Thread a standard 1" spiral keyring through the loop on the end of the chinstrap where the buckle attaches. When attached to the helmet holder, it's not visible or accessible to anyone wanting to "un-thread" it to remove the helmet. (On a 650 using the double-loop helmet-hanger wire, this may not be quite such a good idea...)

A more secure version of this is to make a short loop of, say, 1/16" or 3/32" coated wire, strip the ends for a cable swage (wire rope sleeve), thread it through the same space I mentioned for the keyring, and swage it to itself.
That would work. I guess I could just run the hanger wire through the same loop and not even bother adding anything. Never really investigated it because 95% of the time there is room under the seat for the helmet.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
That would work. I guess I could just run the hanger wire through the same loop and not even bother adding anything. Never really investigated it because 95% of the time there is room under the seat for the helmet.
If memory serves (the Nolan N100 I used this trick on is packed away, having long since worn out from years of daily use), the loop might not be big enough to get the OEM hanger wire through it. Test this before you need it!

A trick I recently saw on a Vespa forum was, if you had another worn-out Nolan helmet, to cut the chinstrap from it and attach the "toothed tab" end to the bike under the seat. Then, you just latch the helmet's "buckle" to the tab, close the seat, and you're done. Not sure if this is directly applicable to the 650 because it requires the buckle to be inaccessible while the seat is closed, and I'm pretty sure there's a bit of a gap between the seat and bodywork at that point.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts