Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at both the 400 and 650, they are 03' leftovers. I am afraid that if I go with the 400 I will wish that I bit the bullet and bought the 650 to start.

thanks for any opinion.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi tops and welcome to the forum. 2 questions before I give an opinion. How much riding experience do you have? What do you need the bike to do, running solo around town, lots of highway riding with passenger? Tell us what you believe your regular routine will be with the machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant decide

My experience has been with smaller bikes around 250cc and small scooters. I plan on going solo on roads that will require a constant speed of about 45-55mph.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hi Tops,

Welcome to the forum. The Burgman 400 will handle the type of riding you described with ease - and get better mileage doing it.

But I think you know that already, and it probably comes down to a "want" issue. I know a guy who owns a Corvette (because he wanted one), but he drives it slower than I ride my Burgman. And there are about a bazillion people in the USA who own SUVs (because they wanted one), but they will never take them off-road.

So if you think you "want" a Burgman 650, maybe buying it now is the right move. That way you won't loose on selling/trading it when the old "want" comes back to haunt you next year.

My guess is that you are going to find yourself going beyond the type of riding you described very soon after buying either the 400 or the 650.... and either machine is capable of long day rides or touring 1-up - but the 650 has an advantage in touring due to its larger engine.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Like Paul said if it's a matter of want and you can afford then go with the 650. But don't Kidd yourself into thinking the 400 will not do what you need and then some.
I have over 6000 miles on mine most of it at 70 + on the highway.
And let's not forget-- better mpg-- easier maintenance -- lighter weight
Again a lot can be said for the 650 (I happen to think it's a great bike) but given what you said you want to do,
you just don't need the 650. :)

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I have both bikes and my wife rides the 400 and I ride the 650. We bought the 400 first and we both liked it. I am bigger than average- 6'3 260# and found that the 650 is a little more comfortable for me because it is a little heavier and has a wider rear wheel. It just seemed like it was a little more stable on the freeway. The 400 did fine and is a fine machine, but I like the 650 for myself. My wife thinks the 650 is too big and heavy for her and she enjoys the 400. I think the correct choice for you is to choose a BURGMAN, whether it is a 400 or 650! If you are near Central Ohio anytime soon email me and you can come over and compare them side by side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts