Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago I took a ride on my 1100 Honda sabre and found myself in Daytona trading in my motorcycle for a used 2003 silver 650 burgman. Ireally diden't know anything about the burgman. Thank god for this web site. I heard good things about the silverwing and the burgman two days prior to my impulsive purchase. I had my choice between a 2002 silverwing with 3000 miles on it or the 2003 650 burgman with 830 miles on it. 5995.00 for the silverwing or 6295.00 for the burgman. The salesman said either one would be fine, however he really thought that I would enjoy the burgman more. I found myself riding the burgman home. The burgman still has about 30 days factory warranty left on it. I really like this scooter. I ride it everyday,even if I don't have someplace to go. I've had it up to 100 mph with my big butt on it and it still had more to give. I'm 6'2'' 240 lbs. HATE THE WINDSHIELD. Took it off until I have it cut down. HATE THE RATTLE AT IDLE. Iguess I will learn to live with it. With gas prices the way they are I think more people will be looking for an all around multi-purpose two wheeler. Too Much Fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
30 days warranty left?

Advice -- if you plan to flog the crap out of your Burgman, GET THE Suzuki Extended Warranty Plan. $333 at http://www.oneidasuzuki.com, last I'd checked.

Worth it? Maybe. Suzukis are reliable bikes, you may never need to use the warranty. Then again, if you have one covered failure, it pays for itself.

PWB

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums. Always glad to have another rider join our ranks. Congratulations on the 'pre-loved' 650 purchase. I'm sure you'll have a blast on it. I would suggest making sure you have the warranty transferred into your name. As I understand it, there shouldn't be any cost to make the transfer. You also have the option to purchase an extended warranty before the current one expires. Some people suggest keeping the cost in the bank and others suggest purchasing the Suzuki Extended Protection plan. It's a matter of personal choice, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of the option.

Since your bike is still under warranty, you can have the 'dieseling noise' at idle repaired by your local dealer. Various reports state that it can come back, but may not be as loud.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Re: 30 days warranty left?

pboyer said:
...GET THE Suzuki Extended Warranty Plan. $333 at oneidasuzuki, last I'd checked...
No, don't get an extended warranty. Do what I do and tell Suzuki that you're a bike magazine critic and you need a little gratis service. (only joking)

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a fellow Floridian and Burgy owner, note that the great prices for the extended warranty do NOT apply in FL. State law mandates that you pay full retail [about $550]. Good luck on the decision you must make SOON!

·
Registered
368 Posts
i heard my dealer say this and thought it was BS. How can state law mandate one paying retail?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
csachs1 said:
i heard my dealer say this and thought it was BS. How can state law mandate one paying retail?
Simple: some overzealous legislator thought it would be a good idea, and put pen to paper. Now it's law. Maybe there was some logical reason for it, maybe there wasn't.

One thing, though; how many politicians pay retail for anything...unless/until they get caught?

I used to live in Tampa. Loved the winter weather, hated the politics.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
650 rattleburg said:
...HATE THE WINDSHIELD. Took it off until I have it cut down....
If you're going to do much touring you may want to order a taller windshield to use then.

The sitting posture is rather upright on a Burgman (kinda like a Gold Wing), and getting pushed in the chest by a steady 60 - 70MPH wind can get tiring. Or, if you really like the breeze, get one of the aftermarket tall backrests.

·
Registered
17 Posts
csachs1; agree with you, the law is BS :roll: ! I guess this is the price we have to pay for year-round riding... :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reply from 650 rattleburg

Thank God for this web site. You folks are great. And thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm not a windshield person. I've always ridden without one. About the warranty, The Suzuki dealer in titusville Fl quoted me 492.00 for the 3yr extended warranty. The other dealer in Melbourne quoted 552.00. The Suzuki dealer in Titusville also told me you needed special software to turn of the oil change reminder on the digital dash. HE LIED. LIKE A BIG DOG. I have a hard time trusting dealers. I diden't get a manual with my scooter, so this web site has helped me immensly.I,ve always serviced my own vechicles so the info on this web site was priceless. When I rode my scooter home from Daytona it whistled, Iwas looking for a deer whistle tucked under the fairing. It whined, I thought is this normal?. It rattled, I thought this can't be normal? This web site cleared it all up for me. THANK YOU ALL. Take care. Charlie

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Charlie,

Since you do your own service, you'll probably want to pickup the service manual. Check with your local dealer or some place like Ron Ayers Motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Reply from 650 rattleburg

650 rattleburg said:
The Suzuki dealer in Titusville also told me you needed special software to turn of the oil change reminder on the digital dash. HE LIED. LIKE A BIG DOG.
It might have been a misunderstanding. To turn it clear "off" (never comes on again) would require reprogramming the computer.

"Resetting" it only requires an ignition switch/reset button sequence.

"Changing the Interval" (factory set at 3500 miles) takes a different ignition switch/reset button sequence.

The latter two are explained somewhat poorly in the owner's manual.

650 rattleburg said:
...I diden't get a manual with my scooter, so this web site has helped me immensly....
If you like doing your own service, ordering a service manual is a good idea.

As for the owner's manual, I have one (and ONLY ONE, everybody) extra manual. If you PM me with your mailing address I'll send it to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts