Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today after filling up for gas and paying I return to my bike and find what appeared to be an older gentleman parked in his truck staring at my Burgman. As I approached he started asking questions. Said he had read all the reviews on the machine but had never seen one up close. He preceeded to tell me that he used to ride a vtx1800 and a CBR929. He then mentioned to me that he was no longer able to ride these bikes as he has terminal cancer and the Chemo has left him weak( he wasnt that old maybe 50 but the chemo had aged him poorly)
I could see the glimmer in his eyes with the possibility of riding again. He asked to sit on my bike and of course I obliged. He liked the way it fit and felt and asked every possible question he could think of . I informed him that it also came in a 400 which is about 100lbs lighter. It would probably be more suitable to him at this time if he were thinking on trying it.
I told him about the forum here and I hope he checks us out. It was good to see the spark that the Burgman created in this mans eyes. It gave him hope and it seemed to give him life. I rode away wishing that I had offered to take him for a ride. He was driving a big old Chevy truck. Like my signature says.
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

Good luck my cancer friend , ride safe.

·
Registered
520 Posts
allwalk said:
Well today after filling up for gas and paying I return to my bike and find what appeared to be an older gentleman parked in his truck staring at my Burgman. As I approached he started asking questions. Said he had read all the reviews on the machine but had never seen one up close. He preceeded to tell me that he used to ride a vtx1800 and a CBR929. He then mentioned to me that he was no longer able to ride these bikes as he has terminal cancer and the Chemo has left him weak( he wasnt that old maybe 50 but the chemo had aged him poorly)
I could see the glimmer in his eyes with the possibility of riding again. He asked to sit on my bike and of course I obliged. He liked the way it fit and felt and asked every possible question he could think of . I informed him that it also came in a 400 which is about 100lbs lighter. It would probably be more suitable to him at this time if he were thinking on trying it.
I told him about the forum here and I hope he checks us out. It was good to see the spark that the Burgman created in this mans eyes. It gave him hope and it seemed to give him life. I rode away wishing that I had offered to take him for a ride. He was driving a big old Chevy truck. Like my signature says.
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

Good luck my cancer friend , ride safe.
That "glimmer" is right. With the wife on her 14th surgery this year for life threatening Melanoma, me on my 5th surgery (just yesterday), the last one MAJOR stomach surgery in Feb., WE have that "glimmer" as well. And with my health making me unable to ride and enjoy my "real" motorcycles (just sold my 1500LC), this 650 Burgman is a Godsend. NOTHING less. With the confusion of medication, old age (55 year old for me), and all the rest, this point & shoot scooter along with our 2 new Honda 50CC Metropoitans are just what the doctor ordered.
Sometimes, in a world that's closing in around you, with terrorism and war, it MY ONLY peace in my world, to just jump on a scooter and ride around the neighborhood, or to the beach and back, ANYWHERE. And the other day it hit me. It's not just a fun toy because I'm OLD now. It's how I started on a Cushman in the 50's for Gods sake! It's where my 2 wheeled fun BEGAN. Maybe I'm not so OLD and sick after all..... :idea: Mike

·
Registered
320 Posts
{Mike and wife}, I hope your mutual surgeries were successful and your recoveries are/will be uneventful and swift. :)

Allan, what a touching story. How wonderful to offer some hope to that man.

A woman on another site has a sig line that reads: Making Dreams Come True by Living Them. That's what it's all about. In the 3 months that we've owned our Burgie, I've been fortunate enough to live many dreams already. I wish that for you all, whatever your dreams may be. :)

Bryna

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's stories like these that reinforce why I have gotten into riding a bike. Last year when I was 56 my husband said he wanted to take motorcycle riding lessons. I told him that he could only if I took them with him. He was shocked. The real reason I got into this is because I have wanted to do it for a long time, but never took the time nor had the nerve and my wonderful sister-in-law died of heart problems when she was 56 and never got to really enjoy life. She was too busy raising a family and all of the things that go along with that.

Well, our kids are in their 20's and we are in our 50's and we are having more fun than we have ever had. Riding has brought my husband and me closer. Our relatives think we are nuts, but to heck with them. At least we are doing what we want to do. The only problem is, we still have this work thing that has to happen to pay for our new hobby. You only live once. You might as well enjoy it. Everytime I get on my bike I tell my sister-in-law to get on, I know she is there finally having fun, too.

BTW, 50 is not that old.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Mary,

I know where you are coming from. I just turned 57. Last year I decided to "retire" for several years. I've been doing a lot of riding and some touring in areas of the country that are new to me. I've been supporting myself since I was 17, married at 21, and helped raise three children. It's time to have some fun without having to schedule it into a few weeks vacation each year. Pretty soon I'll probably have to take at least a part time job - but I feel that I have my priorities straight. Riding is one of my favorite activities. I'm glad to hear that you and your husband are enjoying it too.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You youngsters have the right priorities. Enjoy life all you can. I always have ridden something and after retiring 14 years ago took up flying which I always wanted to do. I'll be 70 (****, I hate that number) next month.

Got to go help a former student get some time on his newly built plane. He needs to build up his confidence in landing. I'm thinking I may just climb out after one of the landings today and tell him to go fly by himself.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flying is one of those dreams that I havent chased yet. I think I would like to start with an ultralight or something. It's time to move up from radio controlled flying to the real thing.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Soon as I'm too old to ride I'll go down to the nearest Cracker Barrel and buy the biggest baddest rockin' chair I can find. :wink:

I sometimes thought it would be nice to have a log cabin out in the country with several rockin' chairs on the front porch. Nice and relaxin'. Then I realized that they don't have cable internet connections out there. :shock:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Then I realized that they don't have cable internet connections out there. :shock:
Yes we do. :D

·
Registered
822 Posts
Re: aging gracefully. %$##@ NO!

flintbobbi said:
would you "oldsters" buy a rockin' chair or something? You're making us "youngsters" look downright boring...

(age 38 but feel like 83 most days with 3 kids age 4 and under)
Check it out... once you pass 40, at some point you'll feel like a kid again and will outperform many people in their 20's! Hard to believe but that's how it went for me! I've done stuff I wouldn't have dreamed about in my late 20's or 30's!!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
allwalk said:
Flying is one of those dreams that I havent chased yet. I think I would like to start with an ultralight or something.
Fixed wing ultralights, and autogyros, can provide a relatively inexpensive way to get your feet off the ground. They are sort of like the scooters of the aviation world.

Fixed wings are more efficient, autogyros better in gusty conditions. The two are VERY different in flying/piloting characteristics. I've flown both, and can recommend either.

I also fly "conventional" aircraft. Better for long distances and inclement weather, but they are to "experimentals" as cars are to scooters.

In fact, many members of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) have a name for factory airplanes: :spam1: cans. :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies Brian and Vfdcaptain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts