Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks, long time since I've checked in here. Hope you can give me some advice. My 650's battery is dead. Too dead for my battery tender. Taking it out is a pita, and the plastic covered clips of my jumper cables get in the way of being able to contact the battery terminals. As you know, the bike has a "cigarette lighter" receptacle. Does anyone know if those plug-to-plug cables would work to jump start the battery, or will I risk frying a fuse or worse?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That 12v socket is switched. IOW, only active when the bike is turned on. You'd likely as not fry some electrically important if you tried that.

Consider this a good time to add a battery tender pigtail directly to the battery. No need to remove the battery but only remove the connectors and fuses from the top of the battery (lift off the rubber holders from the plastic tabs) and cover panel over the battery. These pigtails can be bought at most auto parts stores and also from Walmart and have an inline fuse have ring terminals for the battery posts at one end of the wire pair and have a SAE connector at the other end. They will handle usually 15 amps. The SAE connector is relatively standard to connect to a battery maintainer. But if your battery is dead you will first likely need a battery trickle charger anyway but monitor that closely so as not to boil the battery. This is the difference between trickle chargers and battery maintainers.
Trickle chargers are great for bringing a battery back from dead if it is possible to do so, but can only be left connected for a short time (no more than 20 hrs or risk burning up the battery). A Maintainer usually has a programmed sequence that first brings up the battery charge, then equalizes the cells inside the battery, then ensures they are topped off. Some even have a programmed process to minimize sulfation in a battery. Maintainers can be left connected indefinitely since they detect the battery condition and will auto shut off or on as needed to "maintain" the battery. BUT a maintainer usually cannot bring back a dead battery. The sensors in a maintainer will prevent that to prevent damage to either the battery or the maintainer device.

If a trickle charger cannot bring back your dead battery after a 20 hr charge then it's likely time to replace anyway.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
He apparently did try the battery tender, so I would say a new battery is in order. And as noted it isn't possible to jump start through the power outlet. It would quickly blow the fuse for that circuit, or if not it would fry the wiring due to the high current involved.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
As I did mention a battery tender will not bring back a dead battery. Only a trickle charge MIGHT. If the battery is too damaged to be restored the only option would be to replace it.

It is possible to use the battery tender connection which is directly to the battery to connect a trickle charger, but you may need to change the connection for it to use the battery tender pigtail. Most trickle chargers only put out 1 amp, some much more depending on the device. A JUMP on the battery should only be done directly to the battery positive terminal and ground.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
If you have a 10 amp auto battery charger you might be able to jump start it with that. I've jump started mine that way. Hook the charger to the battery, let it charge for a couple of minutes to get a bit of charge in the battery then hit the starter button.

·
Administrator
18,195 Posts
There are some chargers that have a high frequency spike that can recover a dead battery. I have one that does 12 volts and 24 volts at 1 amp, 4 amp and 8 amp.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You can easily have a couple of options...

One as mentioned before is to attach a pigtail to your battery so that you can pop a charger on easily.
Two, the other is to take a trip to NAPA Auto Parts and look at their selection of battery clamps and find a couple that will fit your battery terminals under your seat. They come in various sizes. Then pick up some heavy gauge wire and make up a 10 foot jumper set. Motorcycle size booster cables if you wish.
Total cost should be under $20 and you're ready for almost anything.
Or.... buy one of the small lithium pack rechargeable boosters and use that, but your cost will be higher if you use that option.

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
AAND, while we are talkin about revivin a roadkill dead battery, if that's the original 2013 battery, it may be time to replace it anyway. Also, why did it die? No sense charging it if you still got a stake thru it's heart.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies - sorry for the late follow-up, I'm on a crazy schedule right now with my job in the Health Department. Anyway, I do have the pigtail for the battery tender, and the battery was just too discharged for it to work. It's not the original battery, but I had problems with it last year with the connections coming loose from the terminals. I think there might be some kind of drain with it sitting in the garage and I forgot to put the tender on before it was apparently too late. My other bike, a little Yamaha R3 had no trouble starting up, and I wasn't really worried about it since it can easily be push started. Can't do that with the scooter unfortunately. I've ordered jumper cables with smaller clips that will probably fit into the tight space of the battery terminal. If that's no good, looks like I'll just have to pull the battery and bring it in for testing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Stick a long blade screwdriver onto the positive terminal and connect your jumper cable to the shaft. Stick the negative jumper onto the helmet hook under the seat ot any bit of bare frame you can get to

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stick a long blade screwdriver onto the positive terminal and connect your jumper cable to the shaft. Stick the negative jumper onto the helmet hook under the seat ot any bit of bare frame you can get to
might give that a try if I still can't get a good connection to the terminal with the smaller clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts