Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently tried to start my Burgman which I just rode the night before and found it very near to dead. There was not enough power to turn the bike over or even turn the dash lights on. When I initially turned on the bike and turned the key into the on position all the dash lights came on but once I depressed the starter switch all my lights went out...completely. Even the clock began to go dim. I put a jump starter on it and was able to start the bike. I let it run for a minute or two but once I disconnected the jumper cables the bike would immediately die. Which brings us to the title of this topic...Should the alternator alone keep the bike running even if you have a dead battery. I know on a car, I can disconnect the battery while the car is running and the alternator will keep it running. Not so with my Burgman. Is this a sign that the alternator is bad? Or...is this just a characteristic of the bike? Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
My alternator produces enough power to run the bike, charge the battery, run the lights, charge my cell phone, and run my heated jacket liner, gloves, pants liner, and insoles.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hello,
I recently tried to start my Burgman which I just rode the night before and found it very near to dead. There was not enough power to turn the bike over or even turn the dash lights on. When I initially turned on the bike and turned the key into the on position all the dash lights came on but once I depressed the starter switch all my lights went out...completely. Even the clock began to go dim. I put a jump starter on it and was able to start the bike. I let it run for a minute or two but once I disconnected the jumper cables the bike would immediately die. Which brings us to the title of this topic...Should the alternator alone keep the bike running even if you have a dead battery. I know on a car, I can disconnect the battery while the car is running and the alternator will keep it running. Not so with my Burgman. Is this a sign that the alternator is bad? Or...is this just a characteristic of the bike? Thanks
BAD BATTERY.........................Get a new battery - QUICK

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
It's not recommended to remove the battery leads when the motor is running it can and does damage the Regulator/Rectifier because the R/R is designed to work under a loaded condition.
IMHO your bike should have kept the bike running, try changing the battery start the bike and measure the voltage at the battery it should be around 13 to 14 vdc when the bike is running, if this is not the case something in your charging system could be suspect such as the Regulator/Rectifier or the stator.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I was able to keep my bike running on the alternator. This was with the a bad coil in the stator so it was not putting out full voltage. It was putting out enough voltage to keep the bike running but not enough to run the bike and charge the battery back up. That let the battery run down while I was on a ride. I was still 60+ miles from home and the battery would not crank the bike. I jump started it from a friends bike and road it home with no problems.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I was able to keep my bike running on the alternator. This was with the a bad coil in the stator so it was not putting out full voltage. It was putting out enough voltage to keep the bike running but not enough to run the bike and charge the battery back up. That let the battery run down while I was on a ride. I was still 60+ miles from home and the battery would not crank the bike. I jump started it from a friends bike and road it home with no problems.
Quick Question, Can Are Bikes Jump Start a Car!!!

I have 20 Amp Battery and a 10 Amp Reserve Connected together Switched On/Off, Have a Power Inverter 400Watt and a AC Charger Could i Charge a Car Battery.

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I wouldn't think a motorcycle would put out enough amperage to jump start a car. Never tried it though.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I wouldn't think a motorcycle would put out enough amperage to jump start a car.
I think that Buffalo is right-on with this one.
I have dual 10 amphour batteries wired is parallel on my scooter...
the battery in my Ranger pickup is 280 amphour.....
trying to boost a car battery with the output of a scooter
alternator, is asking quite a bit. I'm sure it would take
a looooong time to get enough juice into a car battery
to be able to get it started.
I have jump-started a couple of Harleys from my scooter before,
but I promised the guys that I wouldn't tell anyone about it.:lol:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quick Question, Can Are Bikes Jump Start a Car!!!

I have 20 Amp Battery and a 10 Amp Reserve Connected together Switched On/Off, Have a Power Inverter 400Watt and a AC Charger Could i Charge a Car Battery.

Elliott,
Elliott, I think you would be able to use your AC charger with your inverter to charge a car battery with no problem as long as you still have over 12.5 volts at your (bike) battery when you are using your inverter.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Maybe With the engine running InfernoST, it could work..
Duster, Cool Set up, it's great to have two battery's So we won't ever be Stranded.... I have never been Stranded Since i had 2 of them.

So true model28a, I have not tried to charge a Car battery yet with the Reserve from Inverter, But have charged my front 20amp battery with it.

Now! these Jumper Devices that in the stores ,Most of the time work Most of the time Don,t I guess it depends how much you spend on them, I opened One of Once a road and track Model Battery Auto Jumper, And Inside are Standby Battery's SLI-SLA strange but there are only 2 inside them and only had 12v 6 Amps each 12 Amp Total ,So a car battery has what? 270 or more... Now how it it possible for a 12 Amp to Jump a 270 Amp Battery.... You would think that the Higher Amp would Jump the Battery Auto Jumper Instead.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed a new battery since it was diagnosed as bad. I checked the voltage across the terminals and read 14.5 volts no matter what RPM. I'm assuming, then, that my charging system is fine. Would this be a good assumption? I still question why the bike would not remain running after removing the cables from a jump. Could the battery's internal condition(short?) cause this since the cables remained attached to the bike(not the jumper cables)?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I think your assumption on the charging system is good. And yes an internal short in the battery could have caused the bike to stall.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I installed a new battery since it was diagnosed as bad. I checked the voltage across the terminals and read 14.5 volts no matter what RPM. I'm assuming, then, that my charging system is fine. Would this be a good assumption? I still question why the bike would not remain running after removing the cables from a jump. Could the battery's internal condition(short?) cause this since the cables remained attached to the bike(not the jumper cables)?
Whether it will run without a battery can depend on how it is designed. I had a John Deere Lawn and Garden tractor that would not run without a battery even though everything was functioning properly. I thought I had a problem since every car and truck I had ever had would run without a battery.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I don't think the 650 will run without the battery being in it. I base that on an experience I had when one of the battery cables worked loose. The bike died. I tightened the cable back up and it fired off and ran just fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think the 650 will run without the battery being in it. I base that on an experience I had when one of the battery cables worked loose. The bike died. I tightened the cable back up and it fired off and ran just fine.
It would be nice to know for sure. Some say it will run and some say it will not. Testing indicates that the voltage is there (14.5 V at Idle) with the new battery (13.4 V w/old) so I'm leaning on the side that it is fixed but doubt still exists with fear that the bike is about to die at any moment.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Try putting her up on the centerstand, fire her up, and disconnect the red post of the battery. That'll tell you in a way that no amount of forum discussion will.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It would be nice to know for sure. Some say it will run and some say it will not. Testing indicates that the voltage is there (14.5 V at Idle) with the new battery (13.4 V w/old) so I'm leaning on the side that it is fixed but doubt still exists with fear that the bike is about to die at any moment.
I can tell you "for sure" that the B650, like most fuel injected bikes, will not continue to run, even once it has been jumpstarted, if you do not have all 6 cells fully functioning (i.e. not shorted). It seems that the ECU (or another electrical sensor) measures the batttery voltage (NOT the alternator output) and if it is below 12v it shuts down the fuel injectors (other electrical componenets such as lights, indicator, horn etc. will continue to operate).

I experienced this 5 years ago when riding across Siberia, and had it not been for the kindness of a passing Russian good Samaritan I would likely still be walking down the road to Damascus.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can tell you "for sure" that the B650, like most fuel injected bikes, will not continue to run, even once it has been jumpstarted, if you do not have all 6 cells fully functioning (i.e. not shorted). It seems that the ECU (or another electrical sensor) measures the batttery voltage (NOT the alternator output) and if it is below 12v it shuts down the fuel injectors (other electrical componenets such as lights, indicator, horn etc. will continue to operate).

I experienced this 5 years ago when riding across Siberia, and had it not been for the kindness of a passing Russian good Samaritan I would likely still be walking down the road to Damascus.
Makes very good sense to me. Thanks, Garry

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Do not disconnect the battery with it running it's not good for the regulator, it wont continue running with the battery disconnected as the electronics require clean steady dc power and the battery acts as a big smoothing condenser a buffer against any spikes from the ac alternator that get through the regulator, I used to run off road bike without battery but had to fit a big capacitor across the battery terminals to smooth the power enough to let them run.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts