Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a salvaged engine from front-end wrecked AN400K7. Salvage company says the gauge cluster is inoperable; they are inferring from tire and brake wear that the mileage is around 10k.

Is there any other way?

·
Administrator
18,335 Posts
Its overall condition is about it. On the 400, how's the CVT belt look at 10K miles would be my guess. Tires are a no-go as it could be on its 1st or 5th set, same with disc pads, easy to change, 1st or 3rd set???

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
well you could look at clutch and belt, but you might as well look under the seat, or in the glove box , none of those indicators are going to tell you how the engine was treated , possibly the oil , or the coolant, and the exhaust port will give you some clues you can use but mileage, no , my ex had very few miles on her but according to her they were very hard miles, couldn't tell it by looking at her, but when you got her cranked up the exhaust noises proved her right , :roll: still can't figure why that woman left me, I always ate her cooking !

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I suspect they salvage yard employee was just lazy. If an insurance company totaled it, they based the value on the mileage as determined by them based on the owner or other records. If they bought it from the owner, I'm sure he disclosed the mileage. Regardless, most states requires the mileage when a title is changed (as would be necessary however they got it). I handled thousands of totaled vehicles in 31+ years as an insurance adjuster and I had the mileage whether it was accurate or not on all of them.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Based on what you said, the answer is "no". Anything would be a guess and a guess could be close or miles off.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
QuantumRift said:
Based on what you said, the answer is "no". Anything would be a guess and a guess could be close or miles off.
True. I once had a trusted minister misrepresent the miles on a VW van by 100,000 miles to get more money.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
+10 :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts