Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Burger Meisters. Has this happened to you? I parked the Burgie and shut down with the side stand, inadvertently leaving the key in the 'On' position. Fifteen minutes later I realized that the key was on and that the Hi Beams were on too. :D I waited a minute and it turned too slowly to start up. I pushed it about 40 feet and got a jump. Whoa! the FI was lit and the bike idled at 2200 rpm's. When at speed I got off the throttle and at first it the engine responded by dropping rpm's then, by itself, throttled up again to about 2200 rpm's and stayed there. At home I placed it on the center stand and started it. The idle was going up and down and the FI light was on. It has been charging for the last hour. I thought that maybe the low voltage was affecting the computer. I am going to let it charge for a while and restart but am I missing something? I haven't heard this discussed here before. Does the computer need to be reset somehow? :help:
Edit: It was jumped with a car battery while at idle. Geez, did I blow something up?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
In general, you always jump a bike from a car battery with the car turned off.

The difference would probably be 2-3 volts higher with the car running. Enough to fry anything, I'd like to think not, but possible. I'd be more inclined to think the battery was too low and maybe things weren't operating properly.

Hope for the best, good luck!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I left the scoot on and the car on. :blackeye: Make that two blackeyes. What a blockhead. Well, I'll know soon enough if I fried it or just sauteed it a little. Geez!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I've had that happen a few times before on cars when I started them with a battery charger on boost and forgot to switch the charger off after they had started - they all ran in a similar way to what you described but eventually settled down after a while when I switched the charger off. It may just sort itself out when the battery is charged. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No such luck! I let it charge for three hours. It now revs to 4k rpm's then down to 2200 then back up like a roller coaster. Hard to believe that just a few extra volts for 6 seconds could do that. Guess I should have known. Something is burned out. OK, let this be a heads up to anyone that is getting a jump or boost from another vehicle. Do not forget to have the Good Samaritan turn off the engine first. I will have to call the stealership which I really do not trust and see if they know what they are doing in this matter. Any other advise is welcomed.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
I'd try disconnecting the battery overnight which should reset the onboard computer. In the meantime, put the battery on a slow charge that won't fry it.

Chris

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris, I'll give it a try. Like, right now.

Edit The battery is disconnected now. Disconnecting the cage Batt once worked for it's processor. Great idea Chris, thanks. I really hope it works. I don't like the idea of walking to the kitchen for a snack. :lol: I'll update tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hammer said:
Thanks Chris, I'll give it a try. Like, right now.

Edit The battery is disconnected now. Disconnecting the cage Batt once worked for it's processor. Great idea Chris, thanks. I really hope it works. I don't like the idea of walking to the kitchen for a snack. :lol: I'll update tomorrow.
I wouldn't think that it would affect any onboard electronics..!!!!! I am not an engineer...... just an eye doc. BUT I have recharged my dead battery a number of times with Schumaker charger and all i had to do was reset the clock...........!!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
the idle rpm settings can be reset by putting a jumper in somewhere and turning on the key, it's in this forum somewhere , be nice if someone put it in the knowledge base

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
got it , and already in data base thanks to tech art guy, now if I could just remember that's where it is instead of sending people on a wild goose chase

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TechArt guy writes "If you need to activate dealer mode to get a readout on the display and find out what a possible problem is with the bike"
He says to jump those two connectors to get a diagnostic...are you saying that it also resets the idle?

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
No. It just gives you a readout.

Chris

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
by vitagreg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 am
Happened to me when I first got the Burg. I found, on this forum I think, a solution that worked for me. I wish I could forward the pic that was with it.
There is a white diagnostic plug under the dash cover on the right hand side. Two of the sockets at one end or the other (pic would help here) which when connected with a paper clip wire or such, will reset the the idle sensors or whatever we are dealing with and correct idle will return.
By accident, I discovered no harm caused by working w/wrong two sockets.
Good luck.
Seemed to work for him.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Disclaimer: I don't know a lot about engine firmware.

But I have written a lot of embedded software in my day so I do know a little about computers :oops:

If the jumper allows a readout of and reset of diagnostic codes, it also could reset some 'default' parameters that might get screwed up due to the battery issue. The symptoms as described could go either way, could be the ECM is toasted, could just as easily be some of the run time parameters need to be 'reset'. Anyway, it couldn't hurt to try.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Subject of this thread is misleading as I now know it was not a drained or low battery that caused the throttle hunting but a jumper boost from an idling cage. It probably was just a volt or two above 12v while running but enough to freak out the ecm. According to the manual, the ecm will detect low voltage and decide to lock in some variables so that the Burgie will be operational. Safe Mode. I am not sure if that is what happened here. I only noticed a hi idle which seemed to be hunting for it's proper place.
I tried to find the module referred to above under the dash and realized it was too far down, clipped in and in a tight spot for a quick try out with a paper clip for the diagnostic readout. I am not sure if I would even have gotten a reliable readout since the storage of the troublesome component is erased once the battery has been disconnected and the battery was disconnected overnight. I left that for when the FI light returned but it never did.
I thought I would just try riding it fast, slow, heavy brake, start, restart, etc and that maybe the reset would kick in, provided that nothing was damaged physically.
IT WORKED. Throttle idle is at 14500 to 1600 and the Burger is running smooth. I started and stopped it a few times too make sure that it found it's mark every time and it did. The fix was to give the ecm enough time and space to do it's thing. Ya' gotta love these scoots.
I have to assume that if it is running perfectly that nothing was permanently damaged, right.
Thanks for all the help people! I hope this thread can help someone else who does not know if he fried the components or not if the scoot was overdosed on voltage. :cheers:

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
My Subaru Outback learns the driving habits of the owner and creates shift points to match. The way to reset it, is to disconnect the battery for awhile.

Of course, I only learned that on a Subaru Outback forum, and you just can't trust everything you read on the Internet. ;)

I'm glad you're up and running fine. :cheers:

Chris

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hammer......So glad that you are now back to normal now with the Burgie......!! Stuff like that is just so frustrating...!!! :wink: :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Guys, and thanks again for your support. :) I don't know why Burgman riders become preoccupied, distant, frustrated, upset, mopey, sleepless, irritable, thoughtful with a loss of appetite and a penchant for checking their balance. But it sure beats jumping out of a first floor window to a horrible...3 foot landing. (wouldn't want to hurt ourselves now, would we). A higher elevation will make it difficult to get our leg over the gas cap and thus hinder mounting our Burgs. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts