Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night I was driving the scoot and all of the sudden the bike started to bog die and just shut off. I pulled off the road, pushed it to a parking lot and noticed that the F1 code was referring to the CMP sensor. Well this morning I took the sensor out and look what I found.
[attachment=1:1m5w25he]IMG_0133.jpg[/attachment:1m5w25he][attachment=2:1m5w25he]IMG_0132.jpg[/attachment:1m5w25he][attachment=3:1m5w25he]IMG_0131.jpg[/attachment:1m5w25he]
Quickly I assumed that the pin must have struck the sensor so i opened up the valve cover and found that the pin could slide. I took the pin out with pliers(was easy) then tried to put it back in when it went all the way in the hole. You can see in the picture where the pin is pushed all the way in and will no longer work.
[attachment=0:1m5w25he]IMG_0134.jpg[/attachment:1m5w25he]

So i now need a new sensor and cam. I found some cams on ebay, but they are for a 2005 model and mine is a 2003. Will they fit or do I need to purchase new ones.

Link to ebay site.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S15-Suzuki-650- ... 0052105%26

Also, there is a cam cover for a 2005 that looks like it still has the sensor connected. Would this fit my 2003 as well?
Linkhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/S40-Suzuki- ... e1&vxp=mtr

Attachments

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
As this is the Camshaft Position Sensor and as far as I know there have been little if any changes to the camshafts I would suggest that there has been no changes to the CMP also. I would buy it off EBay (unless someone knows to the contrary..... :?:)

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Easiest way to know would be to check an on-line fiche for the parts for those model years and if the numbers are the same, you're in business.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ken said:
Easiest way to know would be to check an on-line fiche for the parts for those model years and if the numbers are the same, you're in business.
Personally I would recommend more than one. I use Ron Ayers, Babbit's Online, and Mr Cycles.

I would suspect a machine shop might be able to weld and remachine the hole or one could try green loctite.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The visible end of the pin looks gray and grainy, as though it might have sheared off; have you looked in the cover/cam case to see if a broken end might be laying about?

As to removing the pin, a strong magnetic tool (neodymium or the like) might extract it. Or drill a small hole through into its bore from the opposite side, then use a pin punch to push/drive it out. Have a replacement made (a 30 minute job for any competent machine shop) that is a strong drive fit--and loctite it as well. This could likely all be done in situ...

One other thing I noticed--the freeze plug was made in the USA...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually just ordered the parts of eBay, got everything shipped for 80 bucks. But yes, the freezepug was just replaced after causing oil and coolant to mix. I have another post on here describing what I had to do. Thank you everyone for the help, I will keep the old cams in case I have to use them again.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
cliffyk said:
and in a metric size to boot. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
CMP = or means Camshaft M? Position?

Educate me.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
NormanB said:
CMP = or means Camshaft M? Position?

Educate me.
CMP Camshaft Position Sensor
CKP Crankshaft Position Sensor

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Doh! Mais Oui mon brave. :oops:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
NormanB said:
cliffyk said:
and in a metric size to boot. :lol:
Most everything has been metric on US cars for 20+ years now. Some components, like say heater hoses, are often still referred to in imperial units such as 5/8" ID, however it is really 16 mm...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Wish i had seen this thread earlier as I've got two camshafts sitting on a shelf in my garage leftover from the rebuild and a few other parts. Though they are a little looser with 24k miles on em. Given the mileage doubt they'd ever be worth much on the market.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went ahead and bought the parts on thursday and received them Saturday afternoon! Crazy fast shipping! After an hour an a half the ole burgman is runnin great again!

Had a lot of practice taking cams off and putting them on during my last project replacing freeze plugs..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts