Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since one of my main objectives with my Burgman 400 is to go camping, I thought I'd demonstrate how I'll pack. I come from a background of many years backpacking a sea kayak camping. Fortunately I have a lot of good equipment for the task and have learned over the years what's important to me.

I'm going to do different threads for the different storage areas of the bike. As you know, there is a huge amount of storage under the seat and that's where I'm going to start.

This is what I started with for the below-the-seat storage.

Tent. Electric Tape. Sweater. Table
Tarp. Duct Tape. Hat
Sleeping Bag. Rain Pants. Toilet Bag
Sleeping Pad. Tool Kit. Micro Fleece Pants
100' Rope. Rain Coat. Thermo-Cup

All packed in, it looks like this.

And this.

Got to hop on my Camp-Scooter and run to the Post Office. Tomorrow I'll do a couple more storage areas.

John

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's great work...A man who's organized and can pull it together like that is becoming fewer amongst humanity!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice, cant wait to see more. I went camping twice last year in Boone Nat forest. There are a few secret storage spots, I want to see if you use them.

That is a nice rack you have too. That looks great for quick access to food and water stores.

100' of rope eh!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a few secret storage spots,

I guess I've been challenged!!

100' of rope eh!
Actually, I'm guessing. I used to carry, at least, 4 pieces of 25' rope. Over the years I lose some and add some, so, I'm guessing I still have around 100'. It's not very heavy line, but sure comes in handy when you put up a tarp.

Thanks all for the compliments, but I don't consider my self very organized, just trying to fit everything I want. The Burgman makes it easier.

John

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The only problem I have had with packing like this is that it always seems to rain on me when I am camping (no matter what the weather forecast is). Packing at the campsite in the rain, I never get my gear to pack down as tight for the trip home as I did for the trip out. I have learned to allow for (a lot) of extra room on the bike for the trip home.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only problem I have had with packing like this is that it always seems to rain on me when I am camping (no matter what the weather forecast is). Packing at the campsite in the rain, I never get my gear to pack down as tight for the trip home as I did for the trip out. I have learned to allow for (a lot) of extra room on the bike for the trip home.

Doug from Kentucky
Hi Doug,

One thing I learned early when both backpacking and sea kayak camping is to have a tarp and rain gear handy. If you look at the pictures you'll see my rain coat, 8x9.5' tarp (small net bag next to the rain coat and a brimmed hat. If there is any threat of rain, you want to get the tarp up first so you can unpack everything else out of the rain. The rain coat keeps me dry and a brimmed hat keeps the rain off my glasses. Many times I've set my tent up under the tarp and moved it out afterwards. That is, precisely, why those items are on the top of the storage. I want to be able to get to those things first and quickly.

Of course, if at all possible, you should set up camp before it rains and let stuff dry out before you repack. I've noticed that's a lot easier now that I'm retired and don't have as strict of schedule:D

It's a very good point about gear always being harder to repack at the end of the trip. Nothing in my kit that goes below the seat has been compressed except the tent. I could fit more in that space if needed, but as you said, in the long run it would make it more difficult to repack -- especially when wet.

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Next up we've got the rest of my clothing.

About 15 yrs. ago I bought this large MountainSmith fanny pack. It's been one of my best camping buys. It's main compartment, which is about 14 ltrs. holds the following:

2 shorts/swimming suits
3 pairs of socks
2 pairs of underwear
2 shirts (1 long sleeve and one short sleeve)

After the main compartment is packed I still have a 150 cu. in. compartment that is just the correct size for my I-Pad. (Which I would show, except I'm using it to take the picture;)

The next picture is the underneath view of the seat. The waist strap is easily buckled underneath and allows the seat to be raised without unbuckling anything.

And, finally, a couple pictures to show how it looks with the seat down and, for proportion, a picture with a sexy model. (My wife -- hope she sees this)

This set up works very well for summer clothing, however, come fall I'll need about double the 14 ltrs. my present seat bag has. I'm looking at some regular motorcycle seat bags for that purpose.

John

·
Registered
427 Posts
I like the fanny pack idea, especially because you can still raise your scooter seat. I mounted my sleeping bag, baseball bat (yeah it helps keep the jerks at bay), with a stretch net, also able to put a large bottle of camp water there too.

If you feel with your hand behind the felt liner at the front of the trunk section you will find a space that is suitable for a Stop=n=Go tire repair kit, or documents. It is probably 4x5x .75 deep inches of area.

I also got good use of an ATV tunnel bag mounted just under the front of the seat. I used two small bungee straps to secure it to the metal helmet hooks under the seat that nobody ever uses. This allowed me to comfortable place my feet forward of the bag and didn't impact operation of the bike. I put my GPS, maps, snacks, two bottles of drinks, face towel and SLR camera in it.

Don't forget to increase your rear shock preload after all this stuff is onboard. At 180# and all my gear the bike was comfortable at setting #4 with some spirited riding on slow speed technical roads.

Wish I was camping right now. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
PS. I purchased the tunnel bag at Menards, very economical.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I needed to find a way to store items for cooking, dish washing and food. I was going to buy something (probably spend way too much money). Instead I used an old cooler we had sitting around and it has worked perfectly.

This is what I put in the cooler:

Silverware (usually just a spoon)
Plate
Small pot and Lid
Stove
Fuel
Matches
Food containers (3)
Ice Pack
Plastic Bags
Dish washing supplies

In the top section of the cooler I put:

Silverware
2 Food Boxes
Plate
Matches

Then, the rest in the main section. It's hard to see but both top and bottom sections are only about 75% full. There's plenty of room for more food (like the ever present and emotionally needed Tabasco Sauce and Salsa!).

Using a gang bungie and a strap on the front to keep it from swaying, the cooler is connected to the rear luggage rack.

Tomorrow I'll deal with all the little stuff that go in the console areas and the dreaded camp chair.

John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for posting. Your insight and photos are very helpful.
I'm getting ready to camp from my 07-400.
Tent and sleeping bag will be on the pillion. All other
gear and clothes will be under the seat.
Cheers,
Haze

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here's a picture of my camping! Got the 2 fishing poles mounted on the back, food in the milk crate, military rucksack with water and makeshift tent tarp, and sleeping bag, and extra clothes in the seat.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a picture of my camping! Got the 2 fishing poles mounted on the back, food in the milk crate, military rucksack with water and makeshift tent tarp, and sleeping bag, and extra clothes in the seat.
So, is that dinner in the foreground?;)

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The console/dash area has a great deal of space. I really haven't utilized it to its fullest. From left to right, this is what I have.

Main glovebox -- 1 liter water, pen and pad, registration and proof of insurance, clean throw-away ear plugs, tire pressure gauge and a valve extension (comes in handy with some pumps).

In Front of Battery -- Gloves

Left Pop-up -- I-Phone

Right Pop-up -- Bug Dope, Sun Spray

And finally (in back) my ungainly fold-up chair.

Following are pictures dash areas packed.

Well, we're all packed up and ready to roll. I don't feel like a very organized person, in general, but when camping it's just a lot easier when everything has a place.

In the next few days I'll make a list of the gear I have and why I've picked it. Then, hopefully, next week I'll show some pictures of my camp set up.

Now, the bad news, I'm all packed but I can't go camping till next week, so, I'll have to unpack everything, because -- the good news-- I have to go grocery shopping with the Burg'.:D

John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts