Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hydration is an important safety issue. Esspecially out in the middle of nowhere in the desert.
Do you use hydration packs, or what?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've never had the need. With 150 mile range I can wait until the next gas for fluids. Most of my trips are short ones around town. It is getting hotter, though, and riding can seem like a blast furnace at times. I can see how touring exposed though the desert parts of the country might dehydrate you fast. You are more upright on a scooter, and the weight on your back might cause more strain than it does on a cyclist leaning forward. I checked their web site, and it is generally hikers and bicyclists that they are targeted for. Makes perfect sense for them.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
My nephew is in Pheonix going to the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute. He's been officiating at soft ball games for his job in between classes. He is riding a black cruiser for his transportation, sitting out in the sun. This spring he ended up going down with dehydration and spent some time in the hospital getting rehydrated the hard way.

At stops I tend to take a few gulps to kill the thirst, but I probably don't drink as much as I should. Probably would sip alot more fluids than I try to gulp at stops.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
When me and my wife do day trips, we always take 2 water bottles along. We keep them in our hump bag, nice and handy on the exterior pockets. A lot of time we will be gone for 2-4 hrs. even though we put on about 150 miles, stopping occasionaly on the way. They do come in handy.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I slide a bottle of water into the left dash compartment before I set out on a ride. I stop about every 50 miles or so on a hot day to drink some of it. If the bottle runs out, I just pop into a convenience store and buy another.

I can see a camelback on a bicycle where you are physically exerting in the heat. On a motorcycle or scooter, I think it is overkill. But I have seen "adventure touring" type riding jackets that are designed to accomodate them. If I were crossing stretches of desert, perhaps I'd want one.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I guess it all depends on were you live and ride, down here in South Texas It mite be nice, but we you do have convenience stores close enough not to worry.
I buy a bottle of water pour half under my jacket and drink the other half , I'am good till the next fuel stop. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hydration/Heat/Hospital

My wife and I wear Joe Rocket open weave jackets with back armor. We freeze 2 camel back bladders (keep water out of the tube while freezing) and carry them inside of the back armor for 1-2 hours runs on days in the 90's.
As the ice melts, you got ice water to drink. The mouth on the bags is big enough to replenish with ice cubes or bagged ice. This is as close to AC as I could get. It last long enough to get from Atlanta into the North Georgia mountains.

Ride safe!

YourFriend"N"Narrator

·
Registered
267 Posts
ABQ I have the same problem but have not liked the Camel Back. It is uncomfortable with my jacket. So, I have been using the Saber Gear Thigh Pack II. It works very well and I usually freeze some water in it for ice and then add water or ice tea when I am ready to go. When I stop somewhere, it comes of easily and slips in the trunk. I put the tubing under my arm strap on my jacket and run it under my helmet. I find that I stay more hydrated sipping while riding then if I stop every 2 hours or so. For me, the first sign of dehydration is the "brain fog" that I get as the blood volume falls and the blood actually thickens. Hope this helps. Ride safe.

http://www.sabergear.com/thighpack2.html

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip Erika.

And, I checked out your innerbonding site. It looks excellent!
I bookmarked it, and intend to read up on it later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts