Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to build a hitch and borrow a two wheel trailer in prep for a trip around Washington.
I would like to get some info from those experienced with towing on a 650.
I have an Exec but I imagine any 650 owner that tows would have some usefull insight.

What would the target weight loaded for the trailer be like? I am kind of thinking 250lb would be on the high side.
Will be riding 2up btw. I am 285' wife is 170ish I guess.

I think I will have a hard time finding E10 fuel in Washington, what kind of range will towing drop me into on e10 or e15?

Should I avoid E15? I wonder if I can find real gas......
so much to think of lol

input very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
The GVWR on a 650 is right at 1000 lbs, so based on that little tidbit of info you are exceeding the load capacity. I personally have driven my bike with my buddy on the back ( his front tire delaminated) to his house and he's 250 and I'm 230 and the bike ran down the road just fine thank you very much, so Suzuki is probably being conservative. I'd try to keep the weight of the loaded trailer under 200lbs if possible just for braking purposes as I think the bike has enough beans to motivate you down the road. I run regular unleaded in my bike when possible but haven't seen any degradation of mileage rune E10 fuel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I started with a HF trailer that I towed behind an 1100 shadow. The Burg pulled it fine but I was not comfortable stopping it. Just too heavy for a lighter bike.
I am building a one wheel trailer that is much lighter now.
I don't recommend a two wheel trailer at all behind a Burg.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, great info thank you.

Turns out the trailer I was going to borrow is much bigger than imagined. I weighed it in at 208lb empty.

Not doing the trailer thing :)

Still thanks for the info guys :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
The 650 Burgman is not known for having a bullet proof transmission. If anything, it is the bikes weakest point. Even though my small clamshell trailer only weighs about 250 lbs loaded the idea of adding more weight to the overall package seems like not too good an idea to me. From what I understand, most of the wear on the drive unit on the 650 occurs during takeoff. That being the case, would not adding more weight also add more wear to the system?

I pull that trailer now with my Goldwing and there is no issue with it but should the day come when I get rid on the GW (no plans on that for a while) it would be nice to be able to use that trailer every now and then with the Burg but the knowledge of hastening the wear on the transmission would make me hesitant to do so.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I started with a HF trailer that I towed behind an 1100 shadow. The Burg pulled it fine but I was not comfortable stopping it. Just too heavy for a lighter bike.
I am building a one wheel trailer that is much lighter now.
I don't recommend a two wheel trailer at all behind a Burg.
What difference does the number of wheels make ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts