Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it was time to sell my V-Strom and find something else that was good for both the highway and around town, I'm tired of doing gravel roads so the V-Strom is over kill. I also am tired of paying so much for insurance so started looking for a 25 yr or older bike so that I could get extremely cheap insurance but still have something fun to ride. Well I had no luck looking all summer and then someone asked me why I didn't buy a 400cc or smaller bike that would cut my insurance costs in half even if it was a brand new bike. That narrowed down the search considerably, 250 series bikes were out of the question except for the relatively powerful Hyosung/Venox pair but I had already put 17,000 kms on a Hyosung and I hate the cruiser style of bike and refuse to dress up like a cheap extra in a pirate movie. Sport type bikes like the Ninja/CBR were out of the question for a fat old man like me so that left small maxi-scooters. I finally found a Yamaha Majesty but 3 days after buying it a drivers training car came out of a side street and totaled it off! The good news is the insurance company paid me 2x what I paid for the bike, my mortgage will be paid off with the injury claim and none of my injuries will take too long to heal except for bursitis/arthritis scares. So now onto the crazy part...I am looking for another scooter and it has come down to a two horse race, the Burgman 400 and the Downtown 300i. I love the styling, size, color (bronze) of the Downtown and part of me likes it because it is not a common bike but it comes from a well proven company. I also like that the maintenance seems pretty simple and most parts are cheap except for the belt. What I don't like is the leg room and the seat but to be honest I have only sat on it in the dealer since I'm not healthy enough to ride yet. (I am 5'6" so after reading the Kymco forums maybe the bike is made for my size...) On the Burgman side it is a well proven bike with an unbelievable internet knowledge and aftermarket parts base but it also is a bike that you see on every streetcorner and the only one I can find is a boring (to me) dark "thunder grey". The Burgman does have a lot more leg room, seems to have a better seat, more storage under the seat and in the dash and the model I am looking at also includes factory heated grips and hand protectors. I know about the weight difference and I know two guys who ride together and they say the performance is the same but the Burgman has to gas up long before the Kymco. The Burgman is a 2012, 4500kms, 8 month warranty, heated grips, handguards, abs, one owner and I can get it for $5500+taxes. The Downtown is new with a 2 yr warranty and the price is $5995+taxes. So am I crazy to want a Kymco for styling, rareness and colour or should I go for abs, heated grips, guaranteed legroom and time tested design? They say cars move the body but motorcycles move the soul and I'm a sucker for bright shiny objects that look good. Sell me on the Burgman, why did you buy yours? (p.s. I am only looking for suggestions, I have to make the decision myself but others have made this decision before and I would like to know the how and why)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Go Downtown

Things will be great when you're downtown
Don't wait a minute more, downtown
Everything is waiting for you, downtown
Downtown (downtown)
Downtown (downtown)

(c)

·
Registered
137 Posts
If Kimbo hates the cruiser style of bike, then he has to go with the Kymco Downtown. The Burgman has cruiser style foot boards. I love the foot forward position.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the so far surprising answers, do you guys own stock in Kymco? As for not liking the cruiser style, it's not the foot forward position that I have problems with but the low seat and having foot forward as your only leg or foot position, with scooters you have different positions to use as you ride. Thanks Bolzen for reminding me of one of my favorite songs from days gone by!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sorry, pal -- looks like your heart is set on Kymco, that's why i advised to listen to it.

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
you gonna ride it? or look at it. mine looks like a windshield when I ride it. but my knees butt and back know what if feels like , how much time do you spend looking at it vs riding it ? your money your choice, but I ain't buying a tight pair of shoes even if they got a good looking woman's picture on the toe

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks for the so far surprising answers, do you guys own stock in Kymco? As for not liking the cruiser style, it's not the foot forward position that I have problems with but the low seat and having foot forward as your only leg or foot position, with scooters you have different positions to use as you ride. Thanks Bolzen for reminding me of one of my favorite songs from days gone by!
One of the reasons you want the Kymco is because of the rareness. I've had rare vehicles and I found out that rare is not always good. Parts, support and dealers are sometimes a rare commodity. I chose a Burgman (400 first then a 650 because I couldn't find a suitable used 400 after mine was totaled). I chose a Burgman for the following reasons:

1. Lots of dealerships across the country.
2. Lots of parts availability (used and aftermarket-look at E-Bay)
3. Easier to sell a familiar brand
4. Good knowledgeable people with a lot of online instructions
5. Lot of friendly and helpful fellow owners
6. My 400 got 65-68 MPG and I could refuel up around 200 miles. How far will a Kymco go?

Regarding your dislike of cruiser type motorcycles. Have you looked at different ones? They are not the same. I had 2 large BMW motorcycle until late last year. I bought a 08 Burgman 400 to replace my BMW R80RT I had owned for 14 years. I kept my 03 BMW R1200CLC I owned for almost 7 years. The 400 was totaled by an older man in July and I replaced it with a Burgman 650 (because I couldn't find a suitable used 400). About a month ago, I realized I had only ridden my 750 pound BMW 3 times this summer because it was work to ride it when compared to a scooter. I sold it last Saturday with the plan to only have my 650. However, before dark, I was missing having a motorcycle and I hit Craigs List. I found a 650 V-Star Midnight Custom with barbacks and floorboards. The riding position fit me (not feet forward)as did the seat height with my short inseam and I liked that it only weighs 500 pounds.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Get the Burgman and set it apart with some paint, decals, stickers, streamers, flags, novelty horn, eye-catching pillion rider, on-demand fireworks and whatever else it may takes, and enjoy not only the unbelievable online knowledge base, plethera of aftermarket parts, extra leg room, more comfortable seat, additional storage, heated hand grips, hand protectors, and cheaper price but also, better highway capability (That extra 100cc has got to be good for something!) and, well, your list was pretty inclusive, already. You can do a lot towards customizing the Burgman using what is saved in the purchase. I just can't imagine anything more rewarding (for me) than my Burgman!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing the information and experience of what you have found in your own motorcycle ownership history. As for MikeyMarine, every time you get on your bike, walk by it or wash/repair it you have to look at it and I don't know anyone who buys something fugly just because they can't see it from the seat. We all have different tastes in what is beautiful but we still use asthetics to help choose what we will buy. As we get older we temper our lust for beauty with practicality and value for our dollars but whether it is a toaster, a car, or a bike, looks still have a part in what we buy...otherwise we would all be driving old Honda Rebels and Toyota Corollas. To Osbornk where I live there are 2 good Kymco dealers and only 1 Suzuki but either bike would be serviced with parts from the internet because of price. The Kymco gets about 10 more mpg's but I question as well the resale although I tend to keep my bikes for a long time. I have checked out all the different cruisers including your 650 (which I liked better than most) so good luck with your 650, they are a good bike and I love the fact that it have a shaft drive however I don't like cruiser style bikes and I can't ride anything that I can't use my legs to absorb some of the shocks of riding. To Maniac I too wonder about the extra 100cc since I come from the era of "there's no substitution for cubic inches". Everything I read says no problem though and talking to guys who ride the Burgman and Kymco together claim that the Burgman can't loose the Kymco. I agree with you though that the $500 price difference could add a lot of pizz azz to the bike, maybe I could pimp it out like the one that is floating around in general discussion as "the ugliest Burgman ever"! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get the all clear from my doctor to do some short test rides this week so I can get a feel for the two bikes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't like cruiser bikes either, the ones I've ridden handled terrible and the unbalanced braking was scarey in an emergency stop.
Don't have a thing against the Kymco, nice looking and the reputation is good. However, I wanted a Burgman for a couple of reasons. 1- biggest underseat storage I know of. 2- long wheelbase, great ride, even without standing up to obsorb bumps, don't need to. The downsides, 1- the stock windshield is a bad joke. 2- I have never gotten over 56 mpg, but it is getting better as the miles go up, I started using synthetic oil at 1000 miles knowing it would slow the break-in. With 3 mods, I couldn't ask for a better scooter. (Windshield, seat back riser, mirrors).
I more thing, I bought mine because 60 months with zero interest. Yes, you can buy a used one cheaper, but not with someone else's money.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yesterday clicked 95 mph just to go with the flow of crazy traffic. Kymco is capable doing this? That's it, i'm buying Kymco!!

That is if i hadn't bought B for the look, and then just discovered its performance. I wouldn't mind to see it around every corner -- what's so bad in pple having good tastes? :D Given equal dealership support folks getting it for some reason, aren't they.

The only other modern scoot that is built adequately nice is Yamaha TMAX, well barring the classic Italian series like Vespa, BV etc. Maybe yet the beemer 600 gt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the recommendations but because of insurance costs I have to stay under 400cc, I already tried the Majesty and don't want to go to one of the Aprilia/Piaggio/Vespa bikes so that leaves the miniburgie or the kymco. Everybody talks about the loooong wheelbase of the miniburgie but it is only 2.5 inches longer than the kymco, it just comes down to design...the miniburgie seems to be built for the highway but shrunk down some to work in the city while the kymco seems to be built for the town but still able to work on the highway. I don't want to go for a new one even if I could receive 0% financing, the extra $3000 charged in Canada is just too much for me.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Just curious, what's the insurance rate in B.C. now? It used to be much lower than in GTA, ON as far as i know.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Being an old guy with a perfect record a 400cc bike costs about $700/yr with $500 collision using 2nd party insurance or same cost with government insurance featuring no collision. My 650 is over $1200 without collision!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Gordon Bennett -- i read it again, when i just stopped surprising!

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's a lot, even in Canadian dollars. I just paid my insurance and with $250 deductible, 300,000 liability and full coverage with PIP it's $242.00/year.
It's the first bike I ever went with PIP on, but after my son got both legs broken on a scooter when a car ran a red light, he didn't have PIP and it seems to be worth the extra money in case of a serious wreck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Topless, it's even worse than you think since the Canadian dollar is only a couple of cents different than the American dollar. Bikes,parts, and insurance cost more, some companies won't ship to Canada and those that do usually charge more for shipping and then the government adds even more cost to the purchase. Importing is a pita and now you can't import a new bike and don't even mention trying to cross the border now, usually you're worried about being strip searched! :violent1: Whine, whine, whine:crybaby: Just to warn any Canucks planning to cross the border...don't mention Walmart as a destination! At least where I live it appears to be added to the dangerous or forbidden places/codewords list:confused:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took my first ride on a Burgman 400 today and the main thing I noticed was the bad screen! I had laughed at all the postings complaining about the screen and foolishly thought that it wouldn’t bother me because of my height (5’-6”) and the fact that my latest bike is a V-Strom 650 which has arguably the worst screen in the history of motorcycling but I was wrong...Suzuki has done it again with the 400. Is this a subtle form of getting even for WWII? Other than that the bike has okay pickup, nothing neck snapping but pretty acceptable with the seamless cvt saving a couple of seconds because of no shifting and it has enough power to keep up with or stay in front of car traffic. I would not want to use it for quickly accelerating into holes in traffic like the sport bike guys do though. The one speed I remember doing was 5000 rpm at 80 kph/50 mph and how smooth it felt then I continued on up to an indicated 150 kph/93 mph at which time I couldn’t wring anything more out of her but at no time did she feel rough or pushed past her limits. I can’t remember how many rpm’s were showing at the top end but the bike felt like it could have kept on doing that speed without killing it and it actually felt pretty comfortable doing 140 but then it had no passing power left. After this I varied my speed from 100 kph/60 mph up to 140 kph/87 mph checking out the passing/roll on speed and was quite pleased with how it performed on flat ground with no wind, unfortunately there were no hills around where I was riding so I couldn’t check out how much speed it would lose with elevation gain. At any speed the bike felt rock solid with no handlebar vibration and the mirrors stayed clear at any and all speeds. The 400 was acceptably smooth but the V-Strom 650 is still smoother both in town and on the highway because of the 2 cylinders. Around town the 400 had a surprising amount of single cylinder roughness and vibration but it was not bothersome or obnoxious, just more noticeable than my V-Strom. The Majesty I had was a little rougher at idle but smoother once under way and I don’t think it was as fast but the Majesty had 24,000 kms/15,000 miles while the Burgman has only 4500 kms/2800 miles. All in all this is quite an impressive “little bike”, if you can call almost 500 lbs and 1 inch longer than a 650 burgman little!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
That's what i mean -- with hwy speed increasing you need some reserve not to get smashed by traffic, which anything less than 400 is hardly able to provide.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts