Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To fellow CA riders and/or fuel experts: In the past, I've seen a minor performance/mpg hit when using the winter blend of gasoline. This year it seems dramatic - with a 4 to 5 mpg hit on both my 400 & 650. Are any of you seeing similar performance drops? More curious than concerned. Thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
4 to 5 MPG is standard drop off here in the Corn belt. This year I have riddend in much colder weather so I have factored that into my estimate. No real change from last year, still bad MPG, but I have been riding in 20F and above, and there hasn't been much above to brag about lately.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I get most of my gas outside the "Designer" Gas Belt here in Georgia. :wink:
But when forced to buy the designer gas my MPG drops to 64-66 mpg range....urgh! :evil:
Cleaning of the idle adjust screw is needed more often when using the "winter blend" too. :roll:
Thankfully 8 miles away is plain old gas and 70 mpg! 8)
I love my 400 and it's modest consumption of gas. :D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
jeff_MDR said:
To fellow CA riders and/or fuel experts: In the past, I've seen a minor performance/mpg hit when using the winter blend of gasoline. This year it seems dramatic - with a 4 to 5 mpg hit on both my 400 & 650. Are any of you seeing similar performance drops? More curious than concerned. Thanks.
Winter riding out here in the desert around Palm Springs mine drops down to around 60 mpg from my normal 65 mpg. I have been keeping tract from the day I bought it and that's been normal for the last 46K miles + :wink:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the sanity check. Good to know it's just my mind and not my bikes

Steve & Mike - How do you guys average 60-70 MPG on your 400s? The only time I've ever exceeded 60 mpg was on a road trip using secondary highways where I averaged between 45 and 60 mph. In mixed everyday driving (city stop & go, some freeway at 65-70), I average from about 51-57 mpg. I know some riders do what I consider "outside the norm" techniques like shutting the engine at stops, or even coasting. What type of driving do you guys do? I'm assuming you both do a lot of open-road mileage?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
jeff_MDR said:
Thanks guys for the sanity check. Good to know it's just my mind and not my bikes

Steve & Mike - How do you guys average 60-70 MPG on your 400s? The only time I've ever exceeded 60 mpg was on a road trip using secondary highways where I averaged between 45 and 60 mph. In mixed everyday driving (city stop & go, some freeway at 65-70), I average from about 51-57 mpg. I know some riders do what I consider "outside the norm" techniques like shutting the engine at stops, or even coasting. What type of driving do you guys do? I'm assuming you both do a lot of open-road mileage?
Mine is mostly 2 lane open road 60-65 mph to work. Have about 5 miles of interstate of the 25 miles to work also. Just filled this morning right at 60.0 mpg. Dash showed 56.4, but we all know it runs 4-5 mpg low on the 400's :wink:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have found on mine that 54-57mph indicated is the optimal speed for mileage on my older and smaller cc 400 than the 2007's and up. The older 400's typically get a touch better mph then the newer 400's anyways. I have also found that if I clean my idle adjust screw regularly that my mph doesn't taper off and stays optimal. That is one of the reasons I got a 400 and not the 650!
It also helps if the ride is downhill both ways. :lol:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Since last fall, I have noticed my mileage has fallen to around 45ish... Guess I will hold out final judgement till the summer blend comes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts