Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a Suzuki Burgman/Skywave 400cc 2004 model and the cable has broken that opens the seat. How can I open the seat?
I do not know much about bikes so please can you explain to me in very simple terms.
If there are picture explanations that would be great.
thank you
for your help
Mike from Cyprus

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
As you will find in the links posted above, you will have to go in through the center panel behind the backrest. I've got an S model which does not have a back rest but I believe the center panel on the standard removes much the same way except you may have to remove the small black cover just above it. That small black cover is held on by a couple of push pin type rivets. You push the center of those in just a little until they click then you pull the rivet out. Once you have that piece off the one right below it should just pull straight back to come off. With both of those off you can look up under the back rest with a flashlight and see the seat latch. Take a long screwdriver and push the catch on the latch to the side to get the seat open.

When you get it open you can wrap a piece of wire around the catch to use as an emergency opener. You thread the other end of the wire down under the body work so it hangs out on the bottom. Then you can pull on the wire to open the seat until you can get the cable replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
If you remove the black cover at the base of the rear backrest the center body panel will slide back and off the bike. There are some spring clips, so just give a bit of backward pressure and work them out.
Then a flash light and a long fine-tip screwdriver will let you trip the latch directly. Zap the latch with a good graphite or silicone spray lubricant and lock it without closing the seat and try the key. If the lock is still stuck it's probably the cable, which will have to be replaced. That's an all day job, but not too difficult. The entire body has to come off.
If it's all scratched up you can take the opportunity to sand the body panels smooth and run them over to the body shop to be sprayed your favorite color. Yellow is nice. :D
From a post by Claude

1 - 4 of 4 Posts