Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Website is getting ready to open http://www.caberg.it/usa/ and they are visiting some shows over here this year.
I got the word today and I will be testing out their brand new Adventure Touring/Dual Sport helmet for scooter riders. It is called the Tourmax and is the worlds first flip up in it's category. I feel honored. Those of you in Europe might have already seen it but those that have not you can check out the helmet here: http://www.caberg.it/caberg_caschi_caberg_helmets.php?tipo_id=1&mod=T&color=SO&p=1&lang=en

WebBikeWorld review Here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-tourmax/review.htm

This is the stock picture of the one they are sending me:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Caberg makes great helmets at a good price. My current helmet is a Caberg Trip flip up. I love it but it has reached the end of it's life. I had to order it from the UK since they weren't available here. I looked at doing that again but the economy has made the dollar to pound rate bad plus shipping has gone nuts. If they come back to the US then I would surely get another Caberg.

Do you have any idea when they will be available?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Let us know how it works out. I might be interested in one.

I looked at their helmets years ago when they were still being imported into the US. They were very nice helmets with a lot of innovative features for helmets at that time.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've never given a whole lot of thought regarding helmet approvals but...

I do like some of the Caberg offerings and, compared to some of the helmets I am considering, they aren't particularly expensive. Even with $50-$60 shipping. I especially like the visor on the Ego Streamline. So here's my question:

Some Caberg retailers indicate that these helmets are not homologated in the US. So I live in FL witch is a helmets optional state. What problems, if any, might I run into if I use a non-DOT approved helmet? Is this a can of worms I don't even want to broach?

To Scootereno - do you know if they will just be importing this single style or are they looking to import much of their product line?

Thanks
R

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The information I have is that they will start selling to the USA online select models as each gets their DOT approval and are hoping to pick up a few distributors/dealers as well.

In a Non-Helmet state you can where whatever you want or don't want on your head. Ever seen some of those helmets at bike week in Daytona or Sturgis? :cool:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Some Caberg retailers indicate that these helmets are not homologated in the US. So I live in FL witch is a helmets optional state. What problems, if any, might I run into if I use a non-DOT approved helmet? Is this a can of worms I don't even want to broach?
Obviously in FL you're okay, but I guess you are asking about crossing over into mandatory helmet states.

I can't imagine that you'd ever get pulled over for non-DOT-approved helmets, possibly unless they obviously looked flimsy, like a kid's Darth Vader helmet. (May the police force be with you.)

Furthermore I doubt you'd get any questions even if you were pulled over for something else, such as a speeding ticket. Maybe, if the cop was a Barney Fife type, or a motorcycle enthusiast on his/her own time. Will s/he even think to check? The helmet looks legitimate, and it surely will be approved in due time.

The only circumstance in which you might have trouble is in case of accident and injury (to add insult to injury, you might say.) An insurance company (yours or some other driver's) might pick up on that and use it as an excuse to weasel out of paying a claim.

IANAL, but the bottom line, I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have seen "DOT" vinyl stickers for sale on ebay or if you have or know somebody with a vinyl cutter you can make one. If a cop did look that is what he would be looking for. The sticker goes on the back.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
you're the man Scootereno!

I own two Caberg Duke HIVIZ flip up helmets. Caberg was the very first brand on making flip ups helmets and they got dual certification as jet or full face.

The ones I got are ECE certified but I know they are working on the DOT for the US market.

let us know how that review goes and of course looking forward for your video review!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Fernando.
The funny thing is I submitted my application form around the time I got my LS2 modular helmet and other than an automated response there was no other communication. I all but forgot about it until last week. Now I get to wait for it to travel 4773 miles with much anticipation.
Video will be a must for sure!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Thanks Fernando.
The funny thing is I submitted my application form around the time I got my LS2 modular helmet
Which LS2 model do you have? When I found out how much more it would be to import a Caberg I was thinking on the LS2 FF386. I don't think I can wait until Caberg is fully here, I need a new helmet now.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at that one but got their FF370 the sister ECE not DOT model because it came with better color and graphics options. It is basically the same helmet except for the top venting. <FF386 has one top vent and it is not as glove friendly to operate but not bad> All the parts are interchangeable for upgrading either of those 2 helmet models as well.
I have been very impressed with it. It is light weight, doesn't buffet, and the shields are all pinlock so no fogging! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality built helmet.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Due to Italy taking August off for holidays I will not be getting the test helmet until Sept. 15th.
Well, at least that is what the broken English email I received said.
Too funny.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Due to Italy taking August off for holidays I will not be getting the test helmet until Sept. 15th.
Well, at least that is what the broken English email I received said.
Too funny.
I thought all the Monday and Friday holidays the we take off here were bad, a whole month! :confused2:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Helmet arrived finally! I rode with it for a couple hours through humid gusty winds and rainy conditions on my first ride to an event.
All I can say is Wow!
No buffeting, very quiet, no fogging, vents well, very comfy right out of the box, and the peak kept most of the rain off the shield.
I will do a proper review as I give it some more miles.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
How did you like the helmet after using for a while?

Got any idea when Caberg helmets will be available here? I have an LS2 but several things about it are driving me nuts, I want my Caberg!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love the Caberg and it is my exclusive MotoVlogging helmet.
It has a place to bolt the camera mount on the side, it is ever so quiet, lightweight, comfortable, and just plain sexy. ;)
The distributor they were hoping for fell through so North America will be on hold for now. :rolleyes:
Glad to have been lucky and sad we are missing out on a great helmet line!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Argh! I guess I will have to spend the extra on shipping and order one from the UK. That is how I got my last one but the dollar went down in value and shipping went up making it more expensive.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Sounds nice, I've been wanting to check out the HyperX, looks a bit more oval than my IS-Max and a bit lighter as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts