Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured my ongoing issue/process with fixing my recently purchased 2006 Burgman 400 needed a new thread since the issue has been pinpointed. So a bit of back story is needed to get an understanding. So I bought the Scooter about 10 days ago and when I went to look at it the condition and low miles (1,500) had me interested. I took the scooter for a short test drive and everything seemed to be working just fine. My only concern at the time was the scooter had an aftermarket toggle/kill switch. The previous owner explained it was installed to prevent battery drainage, now I know better. So basically unless the toggle switch is turned on the scooter will not start and a F1 light pops up. Ya switch it on and no F1 light and the bike fires up just fine. So after finally figuring out how to get the code it turns up as a c41 code, basically the fuel pump. So my repeated question is can you bypass the code to start the bike cause that's apparently what's happening. Also what harm will come to the scooter if the code is being bypassed? I don't think it's as simple as a fuse or relay switch, cause it would of been fixed instead of bypassed, I'm thinking that ultimately the ECU has been effected somehow and the switch has been installed to bypass that issue. So I'm wondering if I should just leave it be and hope for the best down the line or pay a lot of $ for a mechanic to troubleshoot the who;e issue and possibly just have to buy a new ECU which is expensive if I can even manage to find a used one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Possibly the existing kill switch wiring to the pump is faulty. Be worth checking it with a multimeter to see if you can find a fault. If the existing switch is not letting power to the pump the ECU will register it. Trace the new wiring to see where on the loom it connects he may have bypassed the faulty section if that is indeed the issue

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may very well be a security feature kill switch, I'll be taking the scooter apart as soon as I get a chance to follow the wires, the reason I decided against that is because of the whole f1 light not blinking once it is switched on. I took the relay switch out and tried to start the scooter with the switch on and it didnt start but since I'm not the mechanical type I have no idea if that is significant.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I tend to agree with the above advice. Probably not bypassing a code but triggering one by causing an abnormal condition. Although if intended as anti-theft you'd think it would be in a less prominent location. You're not likely to get any further until you trace the wiring.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, once I trace the wiring this weekend I'll learn more and let you know.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A couple of things to note when tracing the wiring...does it go directly to a device or bike part (and what) or just to a seemingly random wire in the harness, does it piggyback onto two wires, or does it break a wire and is in series with it? Also be sure to note the harness wire color(s). There's a chance one wire could go to the battery; have you noticed any unaccounted-for wires added to the positive battery terminal? Also, I'm assuming just two wires, but could be more. If that's the case you'll need to note what switch terminals go to what wire colors as well. Might be good to shoot a few pics you could refer to later. This info will go a long way toward solving the mystery.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
once you get it sorted, don't forget to drive by the previous owners house and cuss at his dawg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts