Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saying goodbye to my lovely white 2013 400 this month, because of continued clutch squeal/judder etc etc etc.

Yes, I know this problem has been discussed for x number of years, and I have been as big a fan of the 400 as anyone....I LOVE the 400, its my third one in ten years, comfy, economical (75mpg UK) no problem, and easy to ride.

Just 3000 miles in and flats on the rollers cost me £80. Just over 6300miles now and here we go again, any low speed running in heavy traffic and the thing is a nightmare!

Main dealer says they are aware of 'problems', but clutches not covered by the warranty and they may not be able to do 'much about it' !!!!

I've ridden this scoot by all the good advice given on this forum....(revs up to 4000rpm on take off etc) and I'm just SO BLOODY DISAPPOINTED that the whole experience of riding a GREAT scoot is ruined by a crap, unfit for purpose clutch.

Dear Suzuki......design a better clutch and I'd be back like a shot.....as from now, I'm gone, I've had enough.

Rant over.....At least I'm still smiling when I get on my Exec !:) (and my new Intruder from 1st July) :-D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
With 47k on my 400, I find an occational (every 5k miles) clutch pad deglaze sorts out the problem just fine. $45 USD at the shop, or free if I do it myself. No rollers necessary.

But good luck to you. Sounds like you have a nice stable to choose from.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm very frustrated with the same problem. I think I'll try the Dr Pulley sliders next.
I doubt sliders are going to solve the problem, but maybe if they engage the clutch quicker. This is a clutch heat build up problem, you might be better off with a deglaze or replacing the clutch. There are models that vent the heat much better and prevent the glazing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your problems can be fixed by just using Polini more rollers model. This will smoothened out your initial power band.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Its not the power delivery from the engine thats the issue, its the horrible snatch and grab never mind howl from the clutch. We still have our 2000 model and its a joy to ride compared to the rougher 2013 we have. 80 grit sanding of shoes with a wooden block is only a temp fix and going from 19 to 21gram rollers helped too but every now and then it snatches. A right pain in the backside. Bodywork may have improved to a point but clutch is rubbish. Obviously Suzuki have never heard of don't fix it if it isn't broke. :-( a good bike spoiled.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not the power delivery from the engine thats the issue, its the horrible snatch and grab never mind howl from the clutch. We still have our 2000 model and its a joy to ride compared to the rougher 2013 we have. 80 grit sanding of shoes with a wooden block is only a temp fix and going from 19 to 21gram rollers helped too but every now and then it snatches. A right pain in the backside. Bodywork may have improved to a point but clutch is rubbish. Obviously Suzuki have never heard of don't fix it if it isn't broke. :-( a good bike spoiled.
' A good bike spoiled'.....I wish I'd thought of that comment !

I too had one of the early 'carb' models, and it was much easier to ride in the start/stop commuter slog to work every day!

Thanks...that's a good post.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Concur, the new clutch is a mere flop. It does work for some though. But me can open the cvt box in less than 5 minutes now. Not sure if i can boast of this :confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Dave, sorry to hear of your woes. It's a shame I didn't hear of your plight. I go to Birmingham often and I'd gladly look at your clutch and sort it for you. It takes about half an hour total.The problem is the way the workshop is trying to sort out your clutch issue. They are not doing it right. It's a mystery to many of them. Many shops don't do it right. I've cured 5 bikes now including my own and I've never had the clutch judder or shudder and squeal return since I found the right way to do the job. I ride mine hard too. I do lots of stop start in traffic, yet I have no judder for 10,500 miles and it's still running smooth. Same with the other bikes I service, two of which had constant clutch judder issues because it wasn't being done right. The shop would do the job and a week or so later the judder returned. But now they report a nice smooth clutch all the time since I did the job right. Suzuki make a good clutch, there is no need for an aftermarket unit. Rollers don't do anything much to help the situation as it's not a roller problem, as Liam is saying. You just need it done right when the clutch is cleaned and deglazed. I've posted all over the internet on how to do it including on this sight and it works. Anyway, sorry to hear you are getting rid. But I wish you the best of luck with your new bike. Keep posting and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:)
Dave, sorry to hear of your woes. It's a shame I didn't hear of your plight. I go to Birmingham often and I'd gladly look at your clutch and sort it for you. It takes about half an hour total.The problem is the way the workshop is trying to sort out your clutch issue. They are not doing it right. It's a mystery to many of them. Many shops don't do it right. I've cured 5 bikes now including my own and I've never had the clutch judder or shudder and squeal return since I found the right way to do the job. I ride mine hard too. I do lots of stop start in traffic, yet I have no judder for 10,500 miles and it's still running smooth. Same with the other bikes I service, two of which had constant clutch judder issues because it wasn't being done right. The shop would do the job and a week or so later the judder returned. But now they report a nice smooth clutch all the time since I did the job right. Suzuki make a good clutch, there is no need for an aftermarket unit. Rollers don't do anything much to help the situation as it's not a roller problem, as Liam is saying. You just need it done right when the clutch is cleaned and deglazed. I've posted all over the internet on how to do it including on this sight and it works. Anyway, sorry to hear you are getting rid. But I wish you the best of luck with your new bike. Keep posting and let us know how you get on.
Cheers QM.......I'll be keeping an eye on the 'all new 400' that is on the way...(if its true?)

I don't know if you have any info on that.....I've read it somewhere.
Lets hope there are some mechanical as well as cosmetic changes to a new scoot.....I'd love another one.

*Also...thank you for your offer of help.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
*Also...thank you for your offer of help.
I've have to say, QM is a top bloke and I know he has generously spent whole days showing members of another forum how to service there bikes, strip CVTs and fix multivarious problems - and his clutch fix worked for them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Saying goodbye to my lovely white 2013 400 this month, because of continued clutch squeal/judder etc etc etc.

Yes, I know this problem has been discussed for x number of years, and I have been as big a fan of the 400 as anyone....I LOVE the 400, its my third one in ten years, comfy, economical (75mpg UK) no problem, and easy to ride.

I'm just SO BLOODY DISAPPOINTED that the whole experience of riding a GREAT scoot is ruined by a crap, unfit for purpose clutch.

Dear Suzuki......design a better clutch and I'd be back like a shot.....as from now, I'm gone, I've had enough.
The above is virtually my own view and experience exactly.

Geoff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you sure it is not an operator problem, as in not taking off at the 5000 or so rpm that overcomes almost any shudder? At least on my 2009 it does.

QM to the rescue, again.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you sure it is not an operator problem, as in not taking off at the 5000 or so rpm that overcomes almost any shudder? At least on my 2009 it does.

QM to the rescue, again.
Taking off at 5000rpm is not possible in heavy traffic , in my 55yrs experience, riding all makes of bikes/scoots !

Sorry Westnash......the clutches are crap.....period !

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
This is the reason I went to a 650, i got tired of going into the cvt of my 400 all the time to deglaze the clutch. i Love working on my bikes but I'd rather be riding than wrenching.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the reason I went to a 650, i got tired of going into the cvt of my 400 all the time to deglaze the clutch. i Love working on my bikes but I'd rather be riding than wrenching.
+1 Keith....I didn't put up a post to start an argument, I just wanted to make a point.

Well I've done that, and I won't be making any further comment on the 400+7 section of the forum.

Cherio guys....safe riding to ALL.:)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It is unfortunate Adige does not make a clutch for the '07+ models. I have over 35k miles on the Adige clutch in my '03 and have never had to take sand paper to the shoes, or for that matter do anything to it. Nor does the bell show any signs of overheating...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts