Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went 3 days ago to buy a new Burgman 400. My selling dealer talked us out of it. Said they AND the 650's had tranny problems and recommended we buy Hond'a instead. He had AND sold both so we really got scared off. We LIKE the Honda's ok enough, just NOT want I wanted. ESPECIALLY since I was buying 2! So after 3 hours looking and becomming frustrated, we just bought 2 little 50cc Honda Metro's for "around the neighborhood". We had a blast on them yesterday. 30 MPH CAN be fun!!!!
Well, I've spent a few days now looking into this "Tranny & reliablity problem" with Suzuki Scooters thing. I can NOT find anything concrete to back up my dealer. For the life of me, I can't understand WHY he would lie and cost himself a big sale, but he did just that. I went to another local dealer and he will give us a GREAT (I think) price on a new Black OR Silver (I want Silver) 650 Burg. Anyone able to reassure me before I call him and tell him to prep it to go? I really do NOT want to buy a Honda because of fear alone? Tahnks everyone, Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy,

Welcome to the forum! I have heard of only 1 transmission problem and 1 clutch failure on the 650s. Considering all the ones sold, that is an extremely low percentage, and not indicative of a general problem. I have heard of NO transmission problems on the 400s. I have, however, heard of several serious recalls on the Silver Wings, and production was even halted for a while due to one of them. One was for potential gas tank ruptures, and another was for inadequate fastening of the handlebars - pretty serious stuff. To date, quality of the Burgman line has far outshown the Silver Wing.

This dealer either was mis-informed, or more likely, had a hidden agenda. Perhaps he has more profit margin on his Silver Wings? Anyway, I'd say that you were mis-informed for whatever reason.

When you say "dealer" - are you referring to a salesperson (many of whom have proven to be rather ignorant), or a sales manager, or a service manager? We tend to use the term "dealer" in our tales of shopping experiences, but I wonder how often we're talking about sales people rather than management. It would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

I was referring to 3 seperate sales people at the SAME Suzuki/Honda/Kawaski dealer. I really just don't get it? I figure either brand is fine. I actually sold my 1500LC Suzuki out of fear of "failures" some memebers of my riding group were having. I just worry too much I guess.
Now, the other dealer I used to work at is offering me a FAIR price (I think anyway), so maybe I'll just call and buy this baby? Thank you so much for such a useful site, Mike

·
Registered
239 Posts
Pappy,
If you do a search on this forum of Burger/Silverwing comparisons, you'll see that there are many reasons why you should choose a Burgman over the Silverwing and yes, there can occasionally be a lemon in any manufacturers machines, but from my own investigation into the Burgman's reliability and moreso my own experience with mine, having just completed a 5000 mile cross country trip which turned my odometer to over 10,000 miles, I can tell you that I have full confidence in my Burgie and would set out on another trip tomorrow if I could. (More about my trip later, but I have just returned today and saw your post first and just had to reply). Buy the Burgie, you won't regret it!)

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi i have 30000 kms or 18500 miles on mine and it is just great . just had a friend set the valves and everyone of them was in speck -right in the middle of the tolerance . i think that is very good for that amount of miles. maybe the dealer is just having trouble selling the silverwings and was hoping you would but 2.just go get a couple of burgers and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I think you need to just face the fact that the dealer is not your friend or looking out for your interests, he needs to sell the other bikes because,
as has been said he has his own hidden agenda .:?
We here at this forum may have an agenda but it's not hidden do a search for yourself, read the posts, if what your dealer was saying were true this is the place you would learn about it. :)

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Pappy,

This is Poppy in East Texas. Go get the Burgman and stop worring. You will be happy. Welcome to the forum, I have found this group to be very honest and they will tell you just how it is, good or bad. Good luck.

Happy Trails,
Poppy, #482

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just returned from a 6,800 mile trip on my Burgman 650 and it was perfect the whole time. The only two issues that I have read about: a 4 gallon gas tank that limits your range; a "dieseling" noise that some rally around and others find objectionable. That's about it. If you can live with those two items, then go with the Burgman. The Silverwing has slightly less legroom than the Burgman. The Burgman has a more sophisticated option for shifting and downhill speed management. Two full coverage helmets fit under the Burman's seat (I don't know about the SW's underseat storage.) Where is you next closest dealer? I'd look at a second shop if that was within reason. There are no issues with the bike but there might be some issues with the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in Claremont, CA and ride past several dealers to get to Malcolm Smith's in Riverside, CA. So far they have seemed interesting in taking care of the scooter. Other shops seemed indifferent or even mildly hostile.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for this info. Wonder if it would be possible to set up a section on this forum for "preferred" dealers and give it som 1-5 star rating based upon ACTUAL repairs and service already performed? I know I just joined yesterday but would really be great if everyone could somehow tap into local dealer info and be forwarned or be able to look forward to an honest service?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I was at PowerSportsPro in Omaha today, and happened to catch the salesmanager between customers. I asked him how sales of the Suzuki Burgman 650 have been this year compared to the Honda Silver Wing. He said that the Burgman has "stomped all over" the Silver Wing in sales. He has one new Silver Wing on the floor and he said he "can't give it away" and will probably be lucky to sell it for his cost.

So I think I probably know what the "Hidden Agenda" at the dealer mentioned above was... But saying that the Burgmans have tranny problems in order to move his lame Silver Wings, is a pretty sleazy maneuver...

Anyway, my own observations confirm what the sales manager told me. I've seen quite a few Burgmans being prepped for delivery there this year - and no Silver Wings. He now has his remaining black Burgman 650 along the back wall - and his red Silver Wing so close to the front door that you almost trip over it when you walk into the dealership...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer just called. Only has a Black one now or a new 03 in the Silver I want. He NOW sez he can get the NEW04 Silver in a crate for me TOMORROW. I told him to do so. Tough decision cuz my Harley dealer called this morning and offered me a NEW Harley at $1k UNDER list price! My, how the mighty have fallen. It too ALL I have to still keep this scooter deal in the works, but I'm sticking. This group is part of the reason. Trish & I can't keep that "menacing scowl" look up long riding Harleys anymore.....Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pappy,
You will enjoy your Burgman. It is so much fun and so easy to ride that you will forget your Harley experiences after a while. At least I did!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Pappy said:
My dealer just called. Only has a Black one now or a new 03 in the Silver I want. He NOW sez he can get the NEW04 Silver in a crate for me TOMORROW.
You lucky devil!

I wanted silver, but my dealer didn't have any '04s in stock and said he wouldn't get any for several weeks. With blue skies calling to me I couldn't wait.

He had three '03 silvers and an '03 blue he hadn't sold last year, so I put down a deposit while I sought financing. Good thing. A few days later when I went back he had sold the other three '03s and was getting ready to call me to see if I was still interested because he had another buyer waiting. The sudden demand now that summer was upon us had caught them by surprise.

Although my bike is an '03, it had only 1 mile on it and was obviously in showroom condition. An '04 would have been nice for the bragging rights, but I got a discount for getting "last year's model" and I'm happy as a clam.

(How happy is a clam, anyway? Never did get that reference. :wink: )

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think ALL colors are OK. But he my price is the SAME for 02 vs 04 so going for Silver. Mostly, because i "think" scratches will be easier to hide/fix? My lat 2 motorcycles were silver & white. maybe I got a "fixation"??????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts