Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another newbie question, folks, if you will humor me -- how much "wiggle room" do dealers generally have off the list price of a Burg 400 or a 650? Is this like shopping for a car, where you nobody pays the sticker price, or are these scooters scarce enough that you have to pay list or close to it?

Many thanks again for your responses! Regards.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
This is my own tactic. I use this on cars and also tried it on my scooter. I got pre-approved at both Suzuki and Honda. I pretty much made up my mind that I would get the Suzuki if they made me a deal. I walked in seen it liked it and then told them I was going to go look at the silverwing. They wouldnt let me leave the store. I was insistant they let me go look at the honda. Their initial price out the door was $9200.00. That was dealer prep, taxes, etc... $7700 MSRP. I told him to knock $2000 off the MSRP and I would pay the dealer additional stuff. I then bought a 4 yr (1 yr + 3 additional) service plan and warranty. It was an additional $1100. I was totally out the door with $0 down at $8498.00

-Bryan

·
Registered
394 Posts
ChrisLucey said:
...how much "wiggle room" do dealers generally have off the list price of a Burg 400 or a 650?...
Yes indeed, there is wiggle room in the prices dealers charge.

There are numerous variables in getting a Suzuki dealer to deal. This time of year is one of the best times as holiday sales are over, it is post season for winter type machines (ATVs & snowmobiles) and pre-season for summer type machines (ATVs, personal water craft, and motorcycles). Buying on hand inventory and model year leftovers from 2003 will also work in your favor for price. The size of a dealer can also play a part, with bigger dealers often being willing to make less per unit. If you plan on buying an extended warranty, that can be a negotiating point too. And consider add ons like having them through in the 600 mile break-in services for free or a new helmet or riding jacket.

The best thing in my opinion is to go into the dealer with your mind made up to what is the most you will be willing to spend. Make your first offer well below that price and be willing to take as much time as necessary negotiating. The best deals I've gotten was after three hours or more of haggling. The dealer after investing that much time does not want you to leave without buying something.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am just one step ahead of you, so I hope my experience can help you. Yesterday, after working with my closest Suzuki dealer for about 3 weeks, his "best deal" out the door (tax, tag, title, and prep), for a "demo unit" with 1000 miles, was just over $7500. As I reviewed my quote, I noticed he was charging me $399 for a mounted top box. I checked around and found the component retails for about $150. I don't like to be jerked around, so I emailed a dealer about 50 miles away, asking if he had any Burg 650's and what price would i be looking at. He called me back and said he could get me out the door for "around $7000", so I went over to the dealer ship - ask the guy if I could get it out the door for $6500, he crunched the numbers and said $6575 was the best he could do. This was a brand new (2003, no miles, on the showroom floor) model. I wrote the check and will pick it up next week. Hope the story helps you. I may add the extended warranty, but that is an option that I can now afford - :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just wanted to add to this thread....
I bought my AN650 OTD for 7540.00
Bike- 6859.00
W/ Tx, Lic. Doc.- 7164.02
1+3 warranty- 376.00

I have since seen the 03 AN650 advertized for 6399.00 plus Tx, Freight, doc. fees I believe I could have had an OTD price under 7000.00 Hope this helps you out. I feel it is worth 8000.00 with all the technology that is put in it?.. Feels it anyways....Trying to justify my purchase that's all... :?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chris....good luck with your decisions...I can't offer much advice on the 400.....I really didn't consider that unit, having just traded in my Atlantic 500....for the Burgy 650. But I'm glad I did. If there's a chance you could test ride both the 650 & 400....that might be a good thing. Personally, I like the design, storage, power, comfort, and handling of the 650. Is the 400 equivalent to the Atlantic 500?? Not quite sure, but I do remember reaching the max on the throttle of the 500 when approaching certain hills....and that wasn't even going two-up. Regarding the 400....check the design out....make sure it fits you!!
JD....regarding the topbox....yeh, I'd agree with you...they're expensive...but I installed a GIVI 52 last week....looks great, very practical with the obvious added storage....but $400 was a stiff penalty.
Good luck with your new ride!!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Chris/Lucey, the lowest price I found on a 2004 400 was $4,898 at Honda East in Ohio. They charge a $53 fee on their bikes and I do not know if it is included in the $4,898 price. I paid $5.000 plus a $67 document fee and taxes. I also purchased an extened warranty for $375. The dealer was close to me in Asheville, NC. I was unable to find any 2003s any cheaper.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good info, everyone. Methought I was being played for a sucker by my local dealer, and you have confirmed it. In late Autumn the guy had a 2003 Burg 400, and he offered to knock the price down to $5,200, not including title, prep, etc. Whoopee.

I'll probably go back again soon, to see if he STILL has that 400, and see if he wants to get real. If not, his loss.

jb4287a, I'm not sure how the Burg 400 compares to the Atlantic 500. I have not checked out Aprilia ... it wasn't until very recently that I realized that Aprilia sold in this country. (Their European line is vast and drool-inducing -- have you seen their web site?!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
650 Price

I bought a demo in October, less than 200 miles on it, 6k out the door, tax, license, all of it-guess I was pretty lucky. The market is tight, my local dealer got 10 in January, has 3 left. The black is a beauty.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, gang, Mike and I took the plunge today and bought two 2003 Burg 400s. Here's how we ultimately went about it.

We looked on Suzuki's web site for its dealer locator, and took down the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of every dealer within about a 100-mile radius. We then emailed everyone who gave an address, and said that we wanted two 400s, and what could they do for us.

Within 24 hours, we had 3 replies, offering everything from a used 2003 to brand-new 2004s. We did some virtual price haggling, to see who wanted to deal and who didn't really care whether they got our business or not, as well as to see what the going rate is in this neck of the woods.

Today we pulled out a roadmap to lay out a logical route to three dealers located to our south, and hit the road with printed emails in hand for ready reference.

Our first stop was the dealer closest to our home. Although we preferred to do business with this outfit based on proximity, our visit in late Autumn had been an unimpressive experience: A long, crowded wait to get a sales dude's attention, the feeling that said dude didn't really know scooters, and an unwillingness to cut much at all off full retail.

Today was very different. No crowds of ATV or dirtbike shoppers, so we walked right in and immediately were approached by a friendly dude who may have been the owner. We said we wanted to buy two maxi-scooters, Burg 400s for choice. (His business had NOT had an email address for us to write to in advance.) Within moments he had out a list of what he had in stock, and what he was expecting to receive. He had a silver '03 Burg 400 on the floor -- in fact, the same one we'd sized up in the fall. We looked it again, sat on it (singly and together), and asked questions which the owner knowledgeably answered, both about Suzukis and about other makes and models of maxi-scooter. He even took me out back and let me check out an already-sold '04 Honda Reflex, so I was finally able to satisfy my curiosity about it.

In the end, we bought that silver Burg 400, plus another '03 (blue) that came with a free 48-month warranty as part of a special Suzuki program. We showed the guy our emails from the other dealers -- especially one from a shop near my husband's employer that offered two '03 400s at $4,999 apiece -- and he quickly came down to $5100 per machine, plus tax, state inspection and registration. No dealer prep or any other hoo-hah. We chucked in another $360 to buy an extended warranty on the machine that was NOT part of the special Suzuki program, to make the lengths of warranty match.

So ... out-the-door price of the non-program 400 plus the extended warranty was $5,981.95.
Out-the-door price of the "program" 400 which included the extended warranty was $5,592.25. (Too bad the guy didn't have two of these, but oh well.)

Probably could have done a few hundred dollars better overall if we'd shopped aggressively in person. But this dealership is a mere 30 miles away, whereas the guys offering $4,999 bikes are nearly 70 miles away. Biiiiig difference when warranty service is involved. And we were greatly comforted to learn that not everyone at this place is ignorant of maxi-scooters.

Whew! Long post. Sorry if I'm blathering. Sincerest thanks to all of you who posted your experiences and ideas here for my (and others') reference. It clearly helped me and Mike a lot, and we're very grateful.

Now if only the snow & ice would clear out so we could take delivery ....!

--Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chris - Congratualtions!!Great dealing, and great info for those on the list. Two questions: 1) What did you think about the Burg 400 Vs. the HOnda, and 2) Why was one scooter on a program and the other was not?? Was there a special on the Blues?? LOL

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats Chris and Mike on your new purchases. I'm sure the both of you are going to have a fantastic time this summer sharing those nice long rides on your own machines. So I guess the only problem now that exists is who gets the blue one and who gets the silver one?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My feeling about the Reflex 250 vs. the Burg 400 was that the differences appeared to be so minor that there wasn't much point in waiting. Prices are virtually identical; appearance and feel were virtually identical (except that the rear seat of the Reflex looked much less welcoming) and there was a waiting list to get a Reflex. I've also read that the Reflex is prone to be "doggy" at about 40 MPH, and that concerned me somewhat.

Had the dealer had one Reflex and one Burg 400 in stock, I'd probably have gone for 'em. I suspect 250 CCs are plenty to haul me around, and then we'd have kept the 400 as Mike's bike, plus that'd be the one we would use for two-up. Whatever. Didn't work that way, so we've got matching toys.

This "program" was described to us as an incentive that Suzuki offered to its dealers in late '03, to try & get the dealers to accept shipment of leftover 2003 models -- you know, give the dealers an extra something to offer the customer & hopefully close a quick sale. Worked on us!

I'm taking the blue, and Mike the silver. You guys all assert that the silver one is faster, right? (Heh, heh)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'm taking the blue, and Mike the silver. You guys all assert that the silver one is faster, right? (Heh, heh)
Since I have a silver 1 ,thats my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wiggle Room

Most dealers like to make at least 5 - 10% on any sale. So with an cost of the 400 @ +/- $4798 the most you should pay is $5,200 ands change plus fees and such. But this depends on the dealership and the marketplace for your community. Biggere dealerships with lots of salespeople have bigger overheads while smaller dealerships with fewer salespeople make better deals to move the machines. Scooters are not popular in our area of the country, so they are sitting on them as are other dealers here. So getting the price down near $5000 is not impossible. PS do not ever pay a documentation fee or adminsitrative fee (basically a fee for filling out the paperwork...its horse and they know it). Remember 5 - 10% Profit. Profit = Sale price - cost - expenses. For any dealer that charges an admin fee...charge them a signature fee. As the sale does not end until you sign and they do the paperwork...and my signature is worth money...to them and me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: Wiggle Room

Nofzinger said:
PS do not ever pay a documentation fee or adminsitrative fee (basically a fee for filling out the paperwork...its horse and they know it). Remember 5 - 10% Profit. Profit = Sale price - cost - expenses. For any dealer that charges an admin fee...charge them a signature fee. As the sale does not end until you sign and they do the paperwork...and my signature is worth money...to them and me.
Amen brother Amen !!! How many times has an honest working person negotiated a good price only to go pay and fill out the papers, and LO AND BEHOLD !!!!! Delivery, prep, doc, other undisclosed fee, other extra fee...blah.

IF that ever happens, whoever you are, get up, politely excuse yourself, and walk away. The salesperson will 99% of the time beat you to the exit and waive those fees.

Please please people remmember:

1) they have to assemble anyway
2) theay have to fill out docs anyway
3) They calculate delivery in the wholesale floorplan purchase anyway.

It is s wonder why the states attys general have not made that tactic illegal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts