Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Nov 7th I ordered a lap blanket through www.scooter-wear.com and paid for the shipping up front. When DHL delivered the parcel to my door they wanted another 1/3 of the price to release the parcel. Since I am on a fixed income I couldn't afford this so I contacted Scooter-wear and received an e-mail stating that I could return the product. I then contacted DHL to refuse the parcel, they talked to Scooter-wear to confirm that the parcel could be returned and on Nov 22nd DHL returned the parcel to the original pick-up point. I waited 3 weeks to hear from Scooter-wear before contacting them to find out about the status of my refund. They claimed to have never received the parcel even though I have written proof that DHL returned it to their shipping address and on the form I have the name and signature of the receiver. Part of the problem is Scooter-wear ships through another company and that is where DHL picked up and returned the parcel. I contacted this company and they replied to me with an e-mail confirming that the receiving signature is from their employee. I have sent Scooter-wear all of the relevant e-mails and forms from DHL proving that the parcel was returned and signed for by their shipping company and now they won't reply to my e-mails. This company is in London England and I'm in Canada, does anyone know if there is any government or consumer agency in England that could help me with this problem? I want and need my money back and it appears that the only recourse open to me would be to start writing about this on every scooter forum I can find. HELP :toothy9:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm really sorry that you had to deal with that, Kimbo. Is the issue really with scooter-wear or with DHL? Did they not include Customs fees in the shipping costs? Or did the laws change between the time you ordered and the time you received the package? This stuff is all pretty automated these days and there's not a lot of guesswork left in the process, so how could you have not been informed of the proper fee beforehand? But if the drop-ship company has confirmed the receipt, then the problem may just be people taking time off for the holidays. Here in the States it's tough to get much done in December because of this. It sucks that it's been dragging on for two months; hope the new year brings a better answer.

On a brighter note, I really like the idea of a lap blanket made for the scooter. That's a great idea for riding in the cold! Never thought of it before just now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy New Year ChipDoc, I paid the shipping costs up front and when DHL came to my door they were not asking for Customs duties but extra charges that I was never warned of, I asked about this when I called them to cancel the order. DHL returned the parcel and my problem is not with them but with Scooter-wear who so far will not return my money and have stopped replying to my e-mails.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I can't help but suspect that a letter from a solicitor would be all it took to get your money back from these folks. Do we have any Brit barristers among us?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
That Blows!
Sorry you are having to deal with their terrible customer service.
Reminds me of my issues with MotoBatt and their terrible product and horrendous customer service!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This is a shame. I was thinking about ordering one of the scooter blankets myself. So now this company has lost two sales, yours and mine.

Namaste'
Doug in KY

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You could also try getting them from Urban Rider, Doug. They seem to be the same blankets.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have never heard of DHL charging the recipient for anything else than customs and VAT fees. All actual shipping costs are paid by the shipper.

http://www.dhl.com/en/express/shipping/customs_support/duties_taxes.html

The payment of Duties and Taxes are typically the responsibility of the receiver, although DHL Express does offer the opportunity for the sender to meet these costs at origin.

The sender receives an invoice after shipment delivery for the Duties and Taxes that DHL Express has paid on their behalf at destination, plus a small administration fee.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I personally have found that sellers that do not use PayPal do not get my business, that being said, I have found very few things that I couldn't purchase anywhere in the world.

John

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is reviving an old thread but I just wanted to update what has happened to me. Scooter-Wear still would not refund my money and also ignored all of my e-mails and wouldn't even talk to me about the problem. I finally found some help online on how to deal with sellers who refused to refund money, then I contacted the credit card company and received my money back within days. (should have talked to Nillinator first) The answer of how to deal with dealers like this is to keep all of your communications and paperwork to prove your case and you will receive your money back even if you didn't go through paypal. I would love to be the fly on the wall when Scooter-Wear checks their books and finds out that the bank took back my money from them!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Congratulation, happy to read that persistence overcome poor business practice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seems like quite a bit of money for a cover. You could go a long way in buying Gore Tex riding gear that would be more useful couldn't you?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oh I don't know, Chérie. £90 is less than $150 and that wouldn't go very far at all down here if I were to go looking for Gore-Tex gear. Kimbo was probably trying to get the best protection for his money. I wish it had worked out; I'd have liked to know what he thought of the system. At least he got his money back, though four months seems a ridiculous length of time to have to wait.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Was referring more about principle than money itself, agree with you that all time spent probably more costly than the $150.00.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts