Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my bike for about an hour the other day. By the time I was at my destination, I had a bit of butt burn. Part of it I think it due to the backrest needing to be removed (will work on that later), part of it was due to the stiffness of the seat. My passenger complained of the same thing.

My question is this: What due you die hard riders use? I have thought about a gel pad. Then I read about the Airhawk. Now at this point I do not take really lonk rides, so I am not sure how much money I want to invest. What is the best solution for a tired bum on a 1 to 2 hour ride?

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I had the same problem but worse on the 400. I bought a gel seat and it helps a lot. Part of the reason for me of going to the 650 from the 400 was vibration. at steady highway speed there is more vibration on a single cylinder vs. a twin. The vibration is still there on a twin but not as bad.

The seat is firm, the gell pad is not soft but does greatly reduce transmission of shock and vibration. I found I can go a full tank of gas with a gel pad and about 1/2 tank without one before needing to stop and stretch a bit. I just bought one for my wife because she said after a while her butt starts to get numb.

I will let you know after this weekend how it works

I did consider the airwalk cusion but was concerned about how high it was

Some members have redone the seat with softer foam.

I was considering cutting out the foam and inserting a gel pad in the seat.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
butt burn

zendan: give yourself enough saddle time. this is the only way for your butt to get acquainted with your mount.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
There's a new product on the market called Anti Monkey Butt Spray (picture the raw red butt of the Baboon).
No this is not an April Fools Joke. I saw it advertised on Two Wheel Tuesdays bike show.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I posted this before. Used this product on the Venture. Haven't taken a long trip with the Burgman yet. This works and is cheap. Bought it from Shade Tree Powersports

ALLYN SOLO AIR SEAT $23.99

Eddie

http://www.shadetreepowersports.com/

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've had my burger for one week now. Even though the weather hasn't been that good, I've managed to put over 1,100 miles on it. 320 miles today was the easiest so far. Be a beast. Do the miles. :wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I find the same to be true. It gets me around the tailbone. I've found that it helps to stretch my legs out up on the running board... Time to excersize...Come on everybody...SQUUEEEZZEE....release.....SQUEEEZZEE... release

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Seat Comfort

I just thought I'd post a different point of view to this topic. I really do not have any complaint with the comfort of the stock seat. I did remove the butt stop to get more legroom, and maybe that has something to do with overall seat comfort as well, since I'm sitting back further where the seat is wider. I've usually been very fussy about seat comfort too - I've replaced the stock seat with Corbins on my last three motorcycles. This is the most comfortable factory stock seat I've ridden on in quite some time.

I'd like to get the seat recovered at some point to cover the holes where the butt stop slider's went in. I don't think I'd alter the foam though, at least in the front portion where I sit. If they could make it narrower in the passenger portion, I'd consider that.

Appearance is another issue. That seat is FAT looking. Perhaps in recovering, they can do something to make it look more streamlined.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
zenden, I would agree with Paul. I found the 650 seat comfort without the buttrest. Try removing the buttrest and riding it some more.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Jim said:
Hey zenden, Check out my solution to butt burn in the photo section

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Seat-Mods
Hey there Jim!
Excellent job on the seat modifications. Can you tell us where you picked up the gel cells and there respective cost. Also how long did the job take you?

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I bought 1 last year for $89.95 at my dealer, it came with the covering and is medium sized. I bought 1 more this year for my wife. Total time 6 Hours at a relaxed pace and no interruptions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
sheepskin seat covers

Got a sheepskin (deluxe) from Sam's for $29.00....It's fits perfectly over the whole seat of a 400 and will probably fit over the 650 and will still close. I used 2 safety pins on each side of the front and a safety pin in the back to keep skin clear of the latch(I will sew these as time permits). The skin is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Now I take my scoot on rides of 100+ with "no worries mate"...you could say I'm taken care of "down under"(a lot of our sheepskins come from New Zealand or Austrailia)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts