Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my Scooting the Caribbean Tour! I must say I had a Blast! However while Scooting St. Thomas I got Busted.
After picking up my Scooter behind the Harley Shop I took the wife to the shopping district and headed for the tallest mountain I could find to take some pictures. I wound my way up through some pretty posh and exclusive houses to the highest spot I could find and got some great pictures. On the way back, at the main cross road, a local police officer pulled out and block me. He rolled down his window and asked for my license and rental agreement. I figured I rode somewhere I should not have. But he stated that even though St. Thomas was a US territory I need to ride on the right side of the road. Duh! Yup I knew that but after taking the pics and hopping back on the scoot with no traffic around I just dummied up. :rolleyes:
He let me get on my way and even gave me his autograph on a warning ticket. lol
Here is the pic of him writing out the ticket.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
St Thomas has THE most cockamamie driving system I've ever seen. It used to be English property so they drive on the right. But now it's in US hands so the only cars they get are left hand drive. Driving on the right side with a car set up for the left. Scared the bejesus out of me, so I just took taxis. You can rent them for the day over there. I think I'd be okay on a bike though, but that wasn't an option.

Sorry for your ticket.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Do you guys mean they drive on the left? We drive on the right side here, which is also the correct side!:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
We got married on the island.
We got off cruise ship and had to get a taxi to court house.
That was a very scary ride in taxi to court hose to get cert.
lol they drive crazy .
The water is awesome :cool::cool:

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
Do you guys mean they drive on the left? We drive on the right side here, which is also the correct side!:D
Yes Wes, they drive on the left. :eek:

Like said all the newer cars are just like ours in USA, steering wheel on the left. That gives a nice view of the sidewalks but how do you see to the right to pull out to pass???? When I was stationed on a recovery barge we had a right hand VW bug that the skipper would lift off the ship when ever we entered left hand drive areas. We drove all over the Virgin Islands as teenagers.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup! Dave is correct. They drive on the left with steering wheels on the left. Easier to do you 2 wheels if you don't have a brain fart like me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Up here in Vancouver B.C. we drive exactly like in the States but our worst drivers, (teenage or eary 20's boys) are heavily into buying high powered Japanese right hand drive sports cars which are so low to the ground you don't have a hope of seeing anything coming at you. There is nothing as dangerous as the mixture of hormones, bravado, inexperience, sheer stupidity, horsepower, and opposite driving position! Glad you survived your holiday version of this mixture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts