Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Burgman used to smell like burning plastic after longer rides but then it died after 30,000 miles so i replaced it with a 2008 Executive which is starting to get it's own burning smell, except it only really happens when I shift manually on the highway. When I switch to automatic in town, the burning smell largely stops but the weirdest thing is that this Burgman 650 smells like burning rubber, not plastic.

Thoughts? Experience? Ideas?

·
Registered
704 Posts
When 2003 died, what did it die from? Anything that was related to burning/melted plastic?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shop never told me exactly how/why it died, just that it was done. I strongly suspect it was the stopper bolt since it has a history of stopping Burgmans and I never replaced mine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Could have been the rectifier. Mine smelled like burning plastic when it went bad. I replaced it and it has run fine since.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the burning rubber smell has gone away. The reason it stopped? I cleaned the scooter. Seriously, ever since I cleaned the scoot the smell has disappeared. WTF? :confused:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I notice that my 650's exhaust system collects a lot of road garbage and some of it makes the garage smell strangely when I park the bike after a ride.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
There was another thread on the same topic, I posted there, my FJR smells of rubber most after rain, been reported by many FJR owners, the common wisdom is its "junk" on the exhausts as noted by mike6nmz

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts