Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few weeks I've been smelling a faint burning smell. It smelled similar to something on a hot exhaust, or when I spray fresh hi-temp paint on the pipes, so I didn't pay much attention to until it go really strong one day. I figured that with it being fall, that leaves had gotten on the exhaust.

I just checked the entire exhaust pipe and nothing is touching. There are no rubber or plastic parts at least within a finger width's distance. I started it up and got it up to full temp and sometimes holding the engine at ~3,000 rpm. I could smell it briefly right around the O2 sensor area of the bike. I sniffed everywhere and found this was the only spot I could smell. I am positive it is not a dragging rear brake.

I am now at 24,000 miles and will be inspecting the valve clearance for the first time soon. Is there a possibility that an out of spec valve could be causing it?

Regardless, I plan on parking it and putting it on the lift table and start taking it apart to get at the valves, where I hope to find the root problem.
I'm posting here in case others have had a similar issue.

·
Premium Member
14,255 Posts
Look carefully at the back of the water pump to see if oil might be dripping from the weep hole. Oil coming from there drips directly on the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think that sometimes the fuel that we buy is somewhat contaminated and causes the cat to make strange smells. I would just keep monitoring it.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I have exactly the same symptoms on my FJR. Especially after it has rained. I asked on the fjrforum and lots of people said its common ont worry about it. I did wonder if it was the spark plug leads or caps

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look carefully at the back of the water pump to see if oil might be dripping from the weep hole.
I will definitely check that first when I get the tupperware off. However, I don't think it is an oil burning smell.

Gbjbany said:
Especially after it has rained
YES! I have noticed that as well! But I've had this same bike for almost 7 years now and it has not always been that way.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I get a slight burning smell as well when I ride particularly hard. On The 400 I always attributed it to the dry clutch. Not sure what it is on the 650. But never seems to do any permanent harm.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just realized that the area I smell it from is where the CVT exhausts to. Uh oh. But I do have a LeDude-like cage over the CVT outlet to keep mice out. I guess I should check the filter to see if it is getting enough air.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm surprised how much road crap gets thrown onto various drive train components on my 650. When some of it lands on the exhaust system, strange smells fill the garage as the bike cools down.

If you're worried about the CVT, can you find a rugged thermometer and stick it through the cooling outlet before a ride? I have one that I use for bread baking, it's stainless-armored and reads temps from 100F to 180F.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to TheDarkCutlass I investigated this smell further yesterday.

The burning smell continues to be most prominent around the beginnings of the muffler. I ran the bike without the CVT filter and any tupperware forward of the seat. I have no idea what it is and why it was so strong the last time I rode the bike with wet roads. We concluded that with a full visualization of the exhaust, no drips from the water pumps, no leaves stuck under the muffler's heat shield that there doesn't appear to be an immediate issue.

So... I'll ride it till it blows up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts