Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a recently purchased used 2004 Suzuki Bergman AN400 model. After doing my research and reading other peoples reviews, I found out that sustained highway speeds can lead to engine oil consumption.

Here's my question; Will the low oil indicator light come on or do I have to manually check the oil level using the dipstick before and after every ride just to be safe?

Thx

·
Registered
302 Posts
My suggestion would be to check it yourself before beginning each day on the road. If you wait for the light it will be too late.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
There have been a number of reports on here of folks burning up engines on 03-06 400s because the oil level dropped to low.

My 400 is one of those that does not have the oil consumption issue. I still check the oil level with the dip stick before each ride. It's not difficult to do and I figure it could save me from a major engine rebuild.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will do the PMCS then.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
There is no oil light of any kind on the later 400's and I don't think your
early one will have one so don't wait for any lights to come on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh, you WILL get a light, or rather multiple lights....as your bike quits running. These aren't like cars. When it overheats it quits, but by that time you have destroyed the engine. Spending two minutes to check your oil level is better than spending a bit of time stuck on the road before getting your bike picked up and brought to the shop, and a small fortune on a new engine. There is a thread on this forum about how to check your oil. I'm not sure where the thread is, but it is easy. Your dip stick is on the lower right side just before the muffler. Unscrew it, wipe off the stick, put it back in without screwing it in, pull it out and check it. The oil should be within the xxxxx area. Because it is at a slight angle, one side will show a higher level than the other. The lower level is the one you use for reference. Be sure to not cross thread the dip stick, but do make sure you tighten it down enough so that you won't lose it during your ride. The stick is plastic. Just be aware of that when you are tightening it. Oh, and one more thing. It is a lot easier to check the oil when the bike is cold or cooled off because of its close proximity to the muffler, so be careful.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Just to add to that tip of checking the oil, if it's hot when you go to check it, keep your leather riding glove on just in case. Always helps me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, really appreciate the advice. Thx

·
Registered
51 Posts
the problem is that the oil evaporates into the air filter box, this is a known defect of design made by Suzuki. somebody check this problem with the local Suzuki dealer, who told that this is typical for the Burgman 400.

oil evaporates in to air filter box because the pipe is too short, and mounted at bad angle 180. you will find a lot of oil at the bottom in air filter box.

bad design air filter box. the pipe goes from the air box to engines nipple on the back of the engine. the purpose of this pipe is to let air go in, and out from crankcase, as the piston is working up and down inside the cylinder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
the problem is that the oil evaporates into the air filter box, this is a known defect of design made by Suzuki. somebody check this problem with the local Suzuki dealer, who told that this is typical for the Burgman 400.

oil evaporates in to air filter box because the pipe is too short, and mounted at bad angle 180. you will find a lot of oil at the bottom in air filter box.

bad design air filter box. the pipe goes from the air box to engines nipple on the back of the engine. the purpose of this pipe is to let air go in, and out from crankcase, as the piston is working up and down inside the cylinder.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album109

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you guys check the oil with the scooter on the side stand or center stand? The owners manual stays on the side stand which means you'd have to balance the bike upright while checking?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Center stand only...

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you check it on the side stand you will get an incorrect reading. Very easy to check it on the center stand though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Duster & Mel,

Thanks! Always used the center stand on my other 2 wheeled vehicles so I'll ignore the owners manual :)

I actually have a drink bottle (filled with oil) in the glovebox with a small funnel to add oil just in case.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I use one of those cheap plastic bottles
that you put ketchup in...the squirt nozzle
works fine. Just make sure to hold the cap
on tight, or you'll end up with half a bottle
of oil all over the muffler, resulting in a big
mess on the floor...duh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts