Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! My name is Drew. I live in Burleson, Texas, which is 10 minutes south of Fort Worth. I may have jumped the gun here. I had decided to sell my pickup and buy a motorcycle. I had owned a motorcycle as a kid, and I love the view and feel from a bike. After months of wearing down my wonderful wife she conceded to my impassioned pleas by giving her blessing, albeit somewhat reluctantly.
I had used the tactic of lusting over motorcycles and used corvettes for 2 months. My wife finally conceded on both fronts by declaring that " You're nearly 42, and this must be your midlife crisis." She went on the say " Go ahead and get your toys, as I would rather you have them than you get a girlfriend" LOL
So the search for a bike began. I had nearly decided on a Honda Shadow, when one of my usual customers at work pulled up to the store on a Honda Silverwing. This opened my eyes to a new, wonderful world. I knew right then and there I needed a scooter. I went to the Honda dealer and looked at the SW and Reflex. I wanted a scooter that would get me to work and back on a daily basis. About 17 miles each way, a good part of it on the interstate. The SW would definitely do the job, and the Reflex , underpowered as it is,could sort of do it. Surely, I thought, there must be something somewhere between the two.
After 10 minutes on the internet I discovered the Burgman and Yamaha Majesty. These capable 400's were exactly what I needed, and they are beautiful. ( It doesn't hurt at all that they are priced the same as the underpowered Reflex, either)
Trips to 3 different dealers finally yielded the models on the floor. I decided on the Burgman 400 over the Yam Majesty, due amenities, fit and feel of the scooter.
So now I am ready to buy, cash in hand. I am in a holding pattern, waiting for one to materialize. I am concerned, though. The dealer is going to sell the 05 at list (abt 5700), and the OTD he says will be around $7000. After reading this forum, this seems like rape. I live in a major metro area and surely scoots are here somewhere.
How much should i pay here? Can anyone help me find one? doesn't even have to be new. Just decently priced.
Sorry about the novel I've written here. I discovered this board 2 days ago and love it. I can't wiat to be a scooter-owning member of this forum.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome to BUSA, Drew!

400's seem to be catching a premium in the DFW area, There are several new & prospective owners that have had to shop like a demon to catch a reasonable deal.

What I'm curious to know is where they come up with $1300 over the price? Are they using gold tools to assemble them or what?

I might suggest that there have been some of our Houston area members who have been trying to help locate some better deals for new members. Another suggestion would be to check on eBay, there are always a few out there to be had, just be careful, if it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't. We have a number of eBay proficient members who would be happy to help, I'm one of 'em. I bought my 03 650 online & did rather well, thank you.

Be patient, it will come & we're here to help. Again, welcome!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Drew,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA! I agree that $7000 OTD is way too much to pay for a 400. That is bordering on 650 money! It sounds like this dealer is trying to scalp folks due to the recent high gas prices. You need to find another dealership. I would probably avoid that dealer for service, parts and accessories in the future as well - that sort of behavior doesn't deserve any support.

If you go to the Suzuki USA site and click on Dealer Locator you will pull up about 15 dealers within 75 miles of Fort Worth. Try some of the others and see what you can come up with.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome to BUSA Drew and good luck in your hunt for a reasonably priced 400. Congrats on sweet talking the wife into letting you have your toy. It's strange how many new members have said that they had to sweet talk the wife into letting them buy the bike.

Here in the north, us men make our own decisions.

And I sweet talked my wife into letting me say that :oops:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Drew and welcome to the forum. Good luck in finding a 400.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Greetings Drew... Welcome to ICOBO.

As Pauljo said... Take your business elsewhere. That dealer is definitely pulling a fast one on you.

What Pauljo should have done was put this Link in here and that would have made it easier to get to the site to use the dealer locator.

As a matter of fact, I went ahead and dug it up for you here, using Fort Worth as my starting point.

Also, EBAY is a good check and you can try cycletrader too. Oh... And, naturally the Classifieds right here on ICOBO.

Joe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Drew,

I bought mine at Plano Suzuki about 3 months ago with an OTD price of about $5700. Of course, that was before the big jump in gas prices. I'm sure the demand has had some effect on willingness to deal. I was at the dealer last week to pick up some cleaner and the place was jumping.

Rif

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Check out the dealer in Granbury where I got mine...about $5100 on the floor & about $5800 OTD. Got treated real well there. Go see Mark Filler. Might be worth the trip. With the gas situation, maybe scooter prices have gotten crazy too. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
DFW prices

I got my 400 S from Plano Suzuki for around $5900 OTD (about $400 msrp discount + ttl). They have another dealer at I35 & Royal Lane in Dallas. If someone has one on the floor for sale, I bet they will discount it. They aren't collecting them!

Good Luck, Warren

(Hello from Carrollton, by the way)

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Drew, glad you found BurgmanUSA and hope you find that B400. It's just great for scooting around Texas or a nice trip to Eureka Springs AR. It's really good to see more members from Texas........would be nice to get us together and admire each others rides.....share Burgman experiences and have a chocolate milk shake made with real ice cream! Neal

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Welcome Drew

Plano Suzuki also gave me the best deal I could find on this side of Dallas on a 650. However I was in there end of last week and they were sold out of all Burgmans and he didn't know if he would be getting any more 05s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts