No dark sarcasm from the Gold Wings
Bikers leave our scoots alone

Hey! Bikers!
Leave our scoots alone! :p

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For any who may be confused by the sudden appearance of this strange hommage to Pink Floyd, ajwood wrote a little cover on the song that referenced a new member's purchase of a Burgman in Tel Aviv, thus the reference to the Wall (The Wailing Wall), and that inspired me to add my meter and rhyme.

Feel free to add your own; either a play on a famous poem or song, or an original work.

Let's have some fun with this!

·
Registered
103 Posts
lotta riding!

Brian,

Wow! We got our scoots on practically the same day and I've got just over 200 miles on mine. :oops:

It has rained here something like 26 out of the last 30 days.

With envy!

Al

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: lotta riding!

Al Davison said:
Wow! We got our scoots on practically the same day and I've got just over 200 miles on mine....It has rained here something like 26 out of the last 30 days.
We've had unseasonably warm, dry weather here. The few days we have had rain it's been mostly during my work or sleep hours.

Plus, after hardly being on two wheels for the last 18 years I'm taking the LOOOONG way home a lot.

2006 miles as of this afternoon. That's in 36 days, so an average of 55 1/2 miles per day. (I live only about 6 miles from where I work.)

But you'll get your chance. Come fall when we Seattleites are rusting away in the drizzle and our bikes are under cover for the duration, you'll probably be out and about having a ball.

Then I can envy you.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: lotta riding!

Al Davison said:
...I've got just over 200 miles on mine....It has rained here something like 26 out of the last 30 days.
With apologies to BJ Thomas:

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head,
but that doesn't mean a ride
is something I should dread.
A cage is not for me, and
I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
and so I freeze
in the hurricane breeze.

Nothin's worrying...

me.
:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Brian,

The little diddly I wrote was in reply to a thread started by an Israeli
who had just picked up his new Burgman.

I hope that I didn't scare him off, with the reference to the wall but on the day
I responded with the little poem, the wall (not the wailing wall) was in the
news on cnn.

The reason I'm posting this reply is because the original reply post I left was lifted
from its context and posted (not by myself) as a new topic here in the Cafe. It was posted with my ID info on the left as if I had posted it.
No one asked me for my text to do such a thing and no one on this thread
is an administrator that has priviledges to gain access to my password so
I'm perplexed as to the nature of it.

I have deleted the hacked post with my password and haven't seen any more of this since.

Lifting the text of a poster here on b-usa and posting it as a new message
without the permission of the original poster is utterly unethical
and if I find out who did such a thing to my words and account, you will run out of
throttle before you think you've gotten away with it.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ajwood said:
Lifting the text of a poster here on b-usa and posting it as a new message without the permission of the original poster is utterly unethical
and if I find out who did such a thing to my words and account, you will run out of
throttle before you think you've gotten away with it.
I think you mean "...if I find out who did such a thing to my words and account, he or she will run out of throttle..."

By saying "you" it looks as though you're refering to me, since my name is at the head of your post.

BTW, the post was lifted by a moderator -- pauljo, if I recall -- who aparently didn't get the reference to the Israeli's post, and thought our "poetry" belonged in the Cafe rather than where it originated.

I agree that it was not the best course for him to have moved it without notifying us, since -- without context -- the meaning changes. That's why I explained it in the second post on this thread, once I discovered that my post in the other thread had become the top post here.

Brian said:
For any who may be confused by the sudden appearance of this strange hommage to Pink Floyd, ajwood wrote a little cover on the song that referenced a new member's purchase of a Burgman in Tel Aviv, thus the reference to the Wall (The Wailing Wall), and that inspired me to add my meter and rhyme.
However...

The moderators do have a right to handle posts on this forum as they see fit.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
BTW, the post was lifted by a moderator -- pauljo, if I recall -- who aparently didn't get the reference to the Israeli's post, and thought our "poetry" belonged in the Cafe rather than where it originated.

I agree that it was not the best course for him to have moved it without notifying us, since -- without context -- the meaning changes. That's why I explained it in the second post on this thread, once I discovered that my post in the other thread had become the top post here.
I did move the posts for the reason Brian stated. I tried to move them together so that they would remain in context, but it did not work as I had anticipated. Brian complained (nicely) via PM - I have avoided similar moves since. The moderator job is often discretionary, and I try to do it without upsetting forum members, but this time it went a bit sideways. I did not "hack" your post AJ - I simply moved it, and may have inserted a comment to explain the move after Brian's objection. I apologize for upsetting both of you.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I do remember this post. (I just woke up and I dont remember all of the specifics,) The part I remember was that this post had the same exact title as another posting in the cafe. I simply added the "...continued"

I thought you would have wanted to add to the other potery posting. But since it was a new thread, I simply changed the title slightly so it wasn't exactly the same as the other.

***Since I'm not totally awake yet, I'm going to try to sift thru this post more and try to understand what happened.****

I appologise if something I did upset someone. I just thought I corrected a typo on a title.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frankly I think it's a tempest in a tea cup. Can't we all just get along? :wink:

How about some more poetry? Isn't anyone else out there but me moved by the muse when riding a Burgman?

·
Registered
793 Posts
The phrase "run out of throttle" is just a phrase, not directed toward anyone
and without malice.

I believe that the Reply that contained the poem meant one thing, but
to have it posted as New would make it mean another.
I say this because it can look like it is "in production" when it appears
in both a Relpy and New.

The issue that I have concerning the generation of posts, with my identity,
should be just that, my identity.
The more prudent path would be to reference the text of another by Quote
as it has always been. This way, the concept of a privately generated account is not compromised,
that is to say that a sourcerers apprentice splits their own brooms, not the
broom of another.
This guards anothers privacy, not instead to exploit it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
ajwood said:
The phrase "run out of throttle" is just a phrase, not directed toward anyone
and without malice.

I believe that the Reply that contained the poem meant one thing, but
to have it posted as New would make it mean another.
I say this because it can look like it is "in production" when it appears
in both a Relpy and New.

The issue that I have concerning the generation of posts, with my identity,
should be just that, my identity.
The more prudent path would be to reference the text of another by Quote
as it has always been. This way, the concept of a privately generated account is not compromised,
that is to say that a sourcerers apprentice splits their own brooms, not the
broom of another.
This guards anothers privacy, not instead to exploit it.
This does not even rhyme or meter?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
ajwood said:
That is because it does not rhyme or meter.
Not a very good poem then - is it?

See if you can complete this one:

Mary had a little YAM

Peter had a Burger

Mary liked Peter's ham

But Peter............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts