Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as you can tell from the title, this is not a happy story. Here is the jest of the story. I planned a nice 350 mile Labor Day Weekend journey no my 2003 Burgman 400. The first day I traveled around 100 miles everything went smooth. The second day I fueled up and checked the oil and then went to visit family and drove about 15 miles before I heard the dreadful bang. I was traveling about 70 mph on the highway when it happened. I immediately pulled over to the side of the highway and noticed bluish smoke (not a good sign) coming out of the exhaust. I of course tried to start it up and it wouldn’t even turn over. Everything was running fine up till that point with absolutely no previous signs of trouble. Once I called my in-laws to bring a trailer to rescue me I checked the oil, which was fine. When I got home I tried to turn the crankshaft and was unable to. I’m mainly asking for opinions, as I know trying to diagnose the problem without seeing the bike is virtually impossible. I need to decide if I should take the bike in or set it aside for a nice Michigan winter project. The real disappointing part is the bike only has 2,000 miles on it and yes the 600-mile service was performed on it. My only two ideas right now are, oil pump failed or metal fatigue of some kind. I’ll give you an update once I open things up tonight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your correct that it is impossible to tell, but.... I'l take a stab at it.

Sounds like you dropped a valve. A dropped valve goes too deep into the cylinder and gets hit by the piston, valve bends, piston is on upstroke and therefore stops in place, locking it from moving. Just a guess, but you did say dreadful bang and engine will not turn over.

Mike

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Man that sucks! I'm really sorry to hear that.

Please do keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Sounds like a 'Meek' failure to me. Get it to the dealer - Suzuki should step up to the plate - assure them you checked the oil as in you above post. Have a read of this

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night. That split second which divides the time between being the happy owner of a Burgman and being the owner of a rather large paperweight. Let us know what the diagnosis is and if there is anything preventative we should be aware of!

Simon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I bought the bike back in April of this year it is no longer under warranty. Norman, I would be really surprised they would cover it since it is two years old, even with low mileage. Its worth checking into though.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I don't know, if you bought it new from a dealer, it should still have the one year warranty on it, even if it is two years old. It goes from the date of purchase as a new vehicle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its official, I might have to sell the bike to afford the repairs :cry: . I knew I was in real trouble when I removed the air-filter case and noticed a substantial amount of oil. Once I removed the throttle body I could see down into the intake valves and it reassured my worst suspicions, metal filings. Unfortunately it won’t be covered under warranty since I bought the bike used. So off to the dealership tomorrow to get a ballpark figure, maybe they would be willing to take my first-born. Any ideas what would cause the engine to seize with only 2,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I would not give up on this if it has service history I would press the dealer to pressure Suzuki it is a known design fault, Did you read the link I provided.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Just a suggestion....maybe you can find a crashed 400 and grab the motor from it. About 6 months ago there was a 400 motor on E-bay that went for about $300 (U.S.). Check with all the wreckers or we'll all look for you. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I second the motion to buy a crashed bike and salvage the motor. That'll be cheaper/easier than fixing each part. Try to find one where the engine still starts and runs rather than one that has a dead battery....

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I agree with above but I would expend some real energy on the dealer and Suzuki first. :evil:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Your Burgy may be on the recall list. 2003's were recalled for some kind of problem that would supposedly make the scooter shut down while you're riding it.

Check to see if this has anything to do with the recall. (They were supposed to be sending out letters on Sept. 7.)
Patti

·
Registered
611 Posts
I agree with Norman. Try to get Suzuki to fix it. Then, if you can't get them to do it, buy a crashed bike as an engine donor... Replacing the engine would be tons better than writing it off, and probably much cheaper than repairing the current one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I appreciate everyone's input on the subject. I forgot to mention in my post last night that I checked the oil once again and it was within an acceptable range. I think I will take the advice of those of you who suggested pursuing the issue with Suzuki, the worst that could happen is they tell me to go wizz up a tree. My second option since the season is almost over is suggestion 2 of purchasing a salvaged engine. I did find one from the dealer that I bought my bike from but they want $2,000 for the whole bike and it has 33,000 miles. Option 3 is wait until January and if I'm still sitting on a 400 lbs paper-weight order the parts to rebuild the engine at a ball park figure of $1,100 for the parts. On the bright side I'm fortunate in the fact that I have a very understanding wife and I think she feels worse about it than I do. On a final note to put things in perspective this only a minor inconvenience compared to what the folks down south are going through. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news. I just finished installing a replacement engine in my bike and "Its Alive" :) I found the engine on EBay a few weeks ago and bought it for $400, which I was happy to pay. My next step is to take it into the shop to have them check valve clearance, compresion, oil pressure and factory recall. The only kicker is by the time I get this all done I will have to store the bike until spring. FYI I plan on tearing my old engine this winter to try to figure out what went wrong. All I have found so far is chunks of aluminum in the exhuast and antifreeze in the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
You have done good...........a big slap on the back for a sucessful operation. Don't be surprised if folks ask for the picturees to be posted! :) Neal

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes Yes we want pictures...of everything you do and find. Great ending to the bad tale! Godd job and keep us posted! 8)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
LSSU96,

I am extremely gratified to find that you were able to salvage an otherwise dooming situation with relatively little pain/expense. I too am intensely curious to know what happened & would very much like to see step by step pictures of the post-mortem on the engine.

This has puzzled me greatly since you first posted about it. I'm hoping you don't find a broken piston or rod as it seems the was little to no warning before it let go, & doesn't seem like there was any reason for something so catastrophic to happen so quickly.

Good job on resurrecting your baby!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts