Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Angel and I just returned from a 10,500 mile motorcycle/camping tour including 19 states. Our bikes and Roll-a-Home camping trailer preformed flawlessly. :lol: We left Bradenton, Florida on April 17th and returned the 2nd week of July.

Highlights of the trip, Big Bend, Tx, riding through the hot, dry, windy deserts of West Texas to Southern California, riding the freeways around Los Angeles :? , the Coast Highway from Pismo Beach to Monterey, Ca. US101 up the Oregon Coast and a day trip from Portland, Or to Mt. St. Helens, Wa. On the return from the West Coast we followed the Columbia River then turned north to Spokane, Wa., then across the Rockies through Idaho and Montana. We rode a couple of hundred miles along the Platt River following the Oregon and Pony Express Trails. By this time we were ready to head home so we took the most direct route back to Florida.

All-in-all it was a super trip for a couple of old folks. It was a little cold and rainy at times but we enjoyed every minute of the adventure. Not sure we will tackle that long a trip again but we definitely will keep riding and seeing the USA as long as we are able.

Angel’s Burgy is really quite a machine. She kept up without any trouble and it corners as well or better than my GoldWing. I checked the gas mileage for the first half of the trip and the scooter averaged between 50 and 55 miles/gallon. At the West Coast prices for gas (as much as $2.50 per gl that helped. I averaged between 30 and 35 mpg on the Wing which isn’t bad considering that I was pulling a 500 lb trailer.) I had a flat on the rear of the Wing about 25 miles southeast of Memphis and had to have the bike and camper trailered to Batesville, Mississippi (about 60 miles). New Tires and labor came to over 700 bucks :angryfire: but they got us back on the road.

We started the trip with ChatterBox rider-to-rider FRS radios. They crapped out about half way through the trip which was a bummer. Since returning home I have installed the Honda CB on the Wing and J&M’s CB 2003 on Angel’s scooter. We should be in good shape communication wise for trips this fall -- the GWRRA Region ‘A’ Rally in September at Helen, Ga, BikeOctoberfest in October at Daytona, and a November trip to the Florida Keys.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
That sounds like some trip . and I am glad all went well except for the tire

Angel’s Burgy is really quite a machine. She kept up without any trouble and it corners as well or better than my GoldWing.
Coming from a Goldwinger that's a nice complement 8)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Man what a trip. I live here in Mississippi so I'm sorry the tire went here and it sounds like 700 bucks was a little steep. Of course when between a rock and a hard place no amount is too much I suppose to get ya back on the road. Your trip makes the 50 miles roundtrip commutting to work I plan to start here in two weeks seem like nothing. Congrats again and I hope the folks who helped ya here in the Magnolia state were nice.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds Like fun!

I can't wait till I have enough time to take a road trip like that. We have a son in Portland, and we have wanted to take a ride up to see him and his family (three beautiful granddaughters and a lovely wife). I wanted to ride the pacific coast, but I don't have enough vacation time to take that kind of trip.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bill

Sounds like you and Angel had a great trip other than the tire issue. In case you are planning some long trips, you might look at Bros Club. I understand that it's like AAA for motorcycles (AAA does not cover motorcycles). Some of the local bike riders highly suggest them for breakdown service.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bill & Angel,

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm so happy for you both, getting to take such trips. This year and probably next, our Burgie *is* our vacation. I hope we get to the point you have, being retired and able to really take such great trips.

Here's to many safe and happy journeys ahead for you, the GW and the Burgie!

Bryna

·
Registered
719 Posts
Bill Trammell said:
Angel and I just returned from a 10,500 mile motorcycle/camping tour including 19 states. Our bikes and Roll-a-Home camping trailer preformed flawlessly. :lol: We left Bradenton, Florida on April 17th and returned the 2nd week of July.
I am totally jealous of your trip. To have even considered and planned something like that shows such great spirit!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts