Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious how the maintenance of the 650 compares with that of similar sized motorcycles, both in cost and time. Any comparisons?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
So far, it is approximately the same costs for my Burgman 650 and my DL1000. The difference in maintenance cost between a 650cc motorcycle and a 1000cc motorcycle would be negligible. The same services must be done and the maintenance intervals are the same.

For most services on the Burgman 650, the hump cover and the left lower leg shield must come off. But on the DL1000 V-Strom, to check the air filter, a body panel must come off and the gas tank must be removed. The V-Strom also needed a throttle body sync at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The maintenance in my opinion is really not worse than any other machine. Lets face it , you have to change oil on anything. This is rather easily done on the 650. There is no chain maintenance to keep up so that's a bonus. The valve inspection is by far the most indepth maintance procedure that I have done to date. All went well and smooth and the valves needed no adjustment at 20,000kms/12,500 miles. It would have been more involved had they needed adjustment but they didnt. The service manual has been invaluable to me and If any one is going to do there own maintance It is a must have.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
allwalk said:
The maintenance in my opinion is really now worse than any other machine.
It's now worse than any other machine? How is it different than before; what has changed? What makes it differnt from other machines?

I'm not mechanically inclined, and don't have tools or a garage, so I let my dealer do it all. I was going to try to learn, but if it's going to be difficult maybe I should just continue letting my dealer do it (despite the outrageous prices -- 5 times what I pay for my truck's service, it seems).

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Typo......I ment not worse.......Thanks Billmeek! Sorry for the confusion Brian and others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts