Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Goldwing rider who is considering downsizing to a Burgman 650. I did basic maintenance on my Wing that included oil and filter changes, air filter change, final drive oil change, brake fluid change, collant change, and spark plug replacement. Are these items reasonably accessible on the 650 so that I could do this basic maintenance?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome to the forum Curtis!

IMO - once you get used to getting the plastic off - yes.

Plus - the burger would probably be easier to move around in a maintenance situation vs the wing. I think the GW wieghs a bit more than the big fat 650 scooter. However - I don't think that you can just slam a bike jack under it and crank it up - if thats what you can do right now with the wing.

Look around this site and I think you'll see a lot of info and pictures that give a pretty good insight to most major "shade-tree mechanic" type undertakings.

VR,
Pete
PS - You have the right idea Man! Go for it!

·
Registered
329 Posts
My Goldwing actually required a little less frequent maintenance than a Burgman. If you do all the routine maintenance on your Goldwing, you will have no trouble with a Burgman, especially after you have removed the plastic once. The only exception is the valve adjustment. Unless you have a GL1800, you never had to adjust the Goldwing valves as they are hydraulically actuated. The Burgman uses a shim-under-bucket design that requries removing the camshafts to replace the shims if clearances are out of specified range. This is an involved process and is not for the casual tinkerer. The good news is that this sort of system wears very slowly. is extremely robust and stays within specification for quite a while. I would leave this 15,000 mile valve service to an experience technician. Be sure to record the clearances of each valve for later reference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd concur with the others, especially being a relative newbie. Using Allan's excellent descriptions and pictures, I did those parts of my 600-mile service this past week (albeit at 746 miles.)

I've not pulled plastic on a Goldwing, but I've pulled plastic on my former K1200RS, and I've assisted with plastic pulling on R11xxRT's, and the Burgman's was far easier. Changing the oil was much easier than the K12RS or even on my naked K75.

I did not do the throttle valve sync (required on my CA model), and that looks to be a bit of work, because I was waiting on a sync tool to come in. I'll take care of that and tightening the bolts this weekend. Nothing's fallen off in the 100 miles since last weekend.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts