Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up the other day and had only driven about 50mi (to and from work). This morning I got about 1.5mi from home and the engine just quit! It almost sounds like it's not getting any fuel. Could the fuel pump have gone out, or is there a fuse for the pump that may have blown (haven't check the fuse box yet).
('04 burgman 400 w\~7900mi).

TIA

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are a lot of things involved with the fuel system including the various switches (kick stand, kill switch, brake switch). There is also the possibility that your fuel was bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...
That's the first thing my wife said. If that's the case, what's the easiest way to empty the tank, just siphon it out?
I would think that if it were one of the various kill switches, it wouldn't even attempt to turn over.

There are a lot of things involved with the fuel system including the various switches (kick stand, kill switch, brake switch). There is also the possibility that your fuel was bad.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
If I remember right the fuel pump is on the same circuit as the trunk light. Check to see if the trunk light will come on. If not then it could be the fuse. Now as to which fuse, if I remember right it is fuse number 3. But then I might be remembering wrong on both counts :).

If the fuel pump is working you should be able to hear it pressurizing the system when you turn the key on after the bike has sit for a while.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If all Other Recommendations fail

To Check The Fuel Pressure, You can Remove the Fuel Injector and Place the Injector in a Jelly Glass Jar and there should be GAS Squirting.

If that's not it then Check your Spark Plug Remove it ,Place it Near the Frame Start the engine and there should be a Spark.

Elliott,

·
Registered
302 Posts
If all else fails, do you have a service manual? I have a PDF version that I could help you out with, if need be

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I'm hoping to get to troubleshooting this weekend.
I do have a service manual, so if all else fails...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turned out it was a fouled spark plug. It was time for routine maintenance anyway, so did the plug, engine & drive oil, and K&N air filter. All better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Double check the heat range of your spark plug. If it's too cold, the plug can foul easier...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts