Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:

I decided to take my Burgman out of winter storage today and found that it wouldn't start. The battery is charged to full and the electric components of the bike is okay but it wouldn't start. I have a 2003 Burgman with 15,000 mi on it. Is it about time that some components need replacements? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't think any of the parts are worn out yet, unless being in storage, moisture got in to something. My 03 has more miles on it and everything works fine. If the kill switch is on, the kickstand is up and the brake handle is pulled and it doesn't do anything when you turn the key, It's time to get some help.

·
Super Moderator
18,092 Posts
Does the starter engage at all?

Does the starter turn the engine, and it just won't fire?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I take it that when you say the battery is charged that you have checked it. I had a totally blank bike yesterday, Friday 11th, with only 10.9 volts on the battery. No speedo display, not a peep from the horn. Checked all my fuses, all OK. Contacted my dealer who said that it needs about 11.6 volts to light the display. Battery out, charged to 13.6 (after standing 30 minutes from switching the charger off), back in the bike this morning and everything OK. Guess our below 0C temps of the last week had upset my battery.

Regards

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
If it ran fine when you stored it for the winter than it's one of 3 things. Fuel, battery or fuse. A few more details would help diagnosis.

When you turn the key on initially does the display go through the regular start up procedure? Do you get any error codes on the display like F1? Does the starter turn over and if yes with the same ooomph that it did last fall? Did you use fuel stabilizer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh, the kick stand is up, brake squeezed, and speedometer is on when I turn it on. The starter does not engage either. Hope u guys can help me

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Always check the simple things first :

Check the kill switch then check the sidestand switch. Sometimes the sidestand switch sticks and requires lubrication.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
rliou said:
Yeh, the kick stand is up, brake squeezed, and speedometer is on when I turn it on. The starter does not engage either. Hope u guys can help me
Have you tried a lateral percussive adjustment?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
What is it? a 400 or 650?
:?:

Does it matter?

:cry:
Iiiiiiii don't know if it matters, but maybe it might be a salient question.
Just trying to "needle it down" for ya...

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

edit edit....duh - you DID post this in the 650 section didn't you... :oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, My kill switch is off. I will try to lube the side stand to see if that does anything but as far as I could tell it's good. What's the lateral percussive manuever?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Probably a little joke on Norm's part -- I think when he says a 'lateral percussive adjustment' he means 'have you given it a good whack?' :wink: Sort of like the computer tech support's basic question, 'have you tried rebooting?'

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Giving the starter motor a friendly wollop with a mallet! :lol:

·
Registered
30,277 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to add that my instrument panel does turn on and both the front and back turn signals work. It's dark now but I will go check the fuses tomorrow. I hope that's it and thanks for all your help. I will update on the status.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Sometimes the side stand switch gets stuck.
(A little button thingy underneath)
I think Pauljo covered that in another thread.
It WAS the problem in that case.
The symptoms are right.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
There are two push switches under the scooter.

One is depressed when the centerstand is down. It's purpose is to lock the scooter in low gear while it is on the centerstand. If the switch doesn't pop back out when you raise the centerstand, then you are stuck in low gear when riding. This is the problem a member recently had, and every once in a while someone does run into this problem.

The other switch is depressed when the sidestand is up. This is an engine kill switch. If you drop the sidestand with the engine running the switch pops out and kills the engine. Raise the sidestand, the switch is depressed and the engine can be started. I have never heard of one of these switches being stuck in the out position. The stand usually exerts enough force to push the button in, even if it needs lubrication. So I do not think this switch is the cause of the starting problem here.

My suspicions are (in order):

1. The battery is not delivering enough power to turn the starter. It may not be as fully charged as it is thought to be, or there may be a corroded terminal connection at the battery or starter.

2. There is a blown fuse. The fuse box is behind the lid to the left of the big glovebox.

3. Some rodent has chewed through a wire somewhere during Winter storage.

If the starter was turning, I'd put bad gas toward the top of the list if it was not stabilised prior to storage. But my understanding at this point is that the starter is not responding.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Thanks Paul, I knew it was something like that :wink:
You da man.

I read earlier in this thread that it is possible to have a battery charged enough to make everything light up, but still not be charged enough to turn the starter over.

Maybe the battery did not come through the winter well.

I plan to have a trickle charger of some kind on mine all winter.
Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I tried might today and it fired right up. It has spent a rather cold winter in my carport, covered but still outside and exposed to the very cold sub zero temperatures that we have had up here this winter.
Now the bike had gas conditioner added and is hooked up to a Battery Minder/Tender pretty much all winter.
I have had to start it in -20C temperatures and it fires just as good as my Toyotas do. It's an 04 with just under 5000K on it.
My suggestion would be to charge the battery and see. The kill switch, F1 as Allan pointed out as well as the side stand.
I hope that winter will end some day and I am still alive to see it!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts