Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the thousands of words available in the English language, why in the name of goodness, did Suzuki choose Burgman to name this Bike? Mind Boggling. Burgman is the last name of a good friend of mine.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Just be thankfull that they didnt call it Ingrid instead :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Burgman name...

I've been told that it is German and means "city man" or something
like that......I too think that of all the names they could have come up
with, why that....personal opinion though. I took a hair dryer to mine
and took them off along with all the stickers....looks alot better to me...
Gib McKain

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Revered Name - Burgman

migze, I suppose "Mind Boggling" would have been an ok name, but Burgman - - now that has class. With all the "Hogs", "Ninjas" ad nauseum out there, we bring a bit of class, a bit of sanity, even nice touch to an otherwise insane world.

Dixie Bob :wink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Count your blessings. My other scoot is a Buddy 125!

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
Candance? Her father, Edgar? Am I dating my self here :oops: ? I am asked all the time what it is named after, I just shrug. DaveJ

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sony started all the 'man' stuff with the old 'Walkman' headphone music gadgets.

I too feel that 'Burgman' is a pretty 'woos' monicker for a motorcycle, and would have much preferred something like 'Librarian 650', or perhaps 'Pedestrian 650'.

On second thought, Suzuki should have painted the thing Ducati red and called it 'Death Sled From Heck'...making it the Suzuki AN650DSFHK7.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I imagine the argument about who pays for the date must get interesting... :shock: :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
Being or German origins, 'Burgman' may not be too bad of a name if one considers what it might have been saddled with...how about "Stuka-blitzen'? or possibly "Panzerknacker" (I like that one, by the way)...perhaps "Der Rollerbigger"?

'Burgman' aint' so bad I guess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
According to one of the German maxiscooter sites, the name Burgman is originated in the 17th century and is a combination of the word Burg, in old German meaning mountain and man, meaning famous. Still can't figure out why a Japanese company would give a German name to one of its products though ....

Tihamér

·
Registered
38 Posts
The name Burgman brings to my mind burger, like in "hamburger". So it really is not a very sporty word.

Personally, I would have preferred Skywave. However, I think in European context most people hear in "burgman" a reference to an city man: riding Burgman is an urban way of transportation.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
I feel that "Burgman" has inherent masculine overtones, something that is very necessary for a new breed of crossover bike that could use all of the credibility it can get. Using "Skywave" is far too prissy for my liking, and would only make accepting a "scooter" as credible as any other motorcycle even more difficult by the purists. You might as well strap on a baby-blue helmet and clothespin a baseball card to your spokes. Skywave is just as bad as "Fairy-Dust" or "Pansy-Flower".

Yes, I KNOW image is not important to everyone, but as long as it is not, it will be issue for some people. The recent topic about a Burgman owner's run in with some egotistical HD riders proves that it's topic a lot of us think about. With that said, I'd have liked something better still than "Burgman", when I say that to people, they're nose tends to crinkle because it's such an odd name for a motorcycle. They could have used something like "Moccasin" or even "Colchicine". :roll:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Could have been much more modern and much worse ... like Metrosexualman! :roll:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Colchicine said:
I feel that "Burgman" has inherent masculine overtones.........................You might as well strap on a baby-blue helmet and clothespin a baseball card to your spokes. Skywave is just as bad as "Fairy-Dust" or "Pansy-Flower".
Masculine? perhaps. But in my mind, 'Burgman' conjures (sp) up an image of a middle-age German, small-town mayor, with a walking stick, knee-socks, and leiderhose, likely with one of those silly hats with the short brims and a feather 'garnish' on one side of the headband....possibly even smoking a pipe.

Not pretty!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
But in my mind, 'Burgman' conjures (sp) up an image of a middle-age German, small-town mayor, with a walking stick, knee-socks, and leiderhose, likely with one of those silly hats with the short brims and a feather 'garnish' on one side of the headband....possibly even smoking a pipe.
That would be Burgermeister. Thank Suzuki for not choosing that.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
suziblu said:
Could have been much more modern and much worse ... like Metrosexualman! :roll:
Now, I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I feel that "Burgman" has inherent masculine overtones, something that is very necessary for a new breed of crossover bike that could use all of the credibility it can get. Using "Skywave" is far too prissy for my liking, and would only make accepting a "scooter" as credible as any other motorcycle even more difficult by the purists. You might as well strap on a baby-blue helmet and clothespin a baseball card to your spokes. Skywave is just as bad as "Fairy-Dust" or "Pansy-Flower"
Now that you say it, I agree. Skywave has a bit femine overtone. Scooter does need something masculine and even agressive to its name, thought not too much. "Panzerfaust" or "Sturmuberfuhrer" would be an overstatement.

Fifteen years ago here in Finland some smartbrain band made a number one song which said in its chorus verse (traslated): "motorbike is a motorbike, scooter's for sissies".:oops: Every springtime when driving season is about to begin and bikes return to streets and highways that annoying song will be heard repeatedly in our radiochannels. When I used to drive with my wife's 50cc, people sometimes reminded me of that song. Especially one otherwise very friendly fellow from our church's funeral department. Next time he quotes that song I'll take him out to see my powerscooter. (hmmm...even the thought of it is very pleasant). :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts