Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the most strange accident you will hear about. Last Friday evening the wife and I were about 3 miles from home on Rt 51 doing about 55 -60 mph when a Ford Explower was going in the oposite direction with a mattress tied to the top came flying off and landed in front of me. I had no choice but to hit it and when I did down I and the Burgman with our new mattress went sliding up the road. I shortly later was sliding/rolling down the hiway when I stoped the Burgman was still on top of the Mattress it was a site to see. After a trip to the hospital lucky me no broken bones and very little scrapes. The bike is ridable but will cost 2 to 3 thousand to repair. The wife did not get involved but had a ring side seat to see it all happen.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Geez Magyver!

The next time you feel like taking a nap go home and park the scooter first! :lol:

Seriously, I'm glad your injuries weren't serious, and that your wife didn't get tangled up in that mess.

I'm also glad that I'm not the one having to call my insurance company to explain a high speed collision with a mattress! :roll:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Wow Mag! Glad to hear you didnt suffer any serious injuries. Hope it doesnt take you long to get your ride repaired to pristine condition. I'm still waiting for backordered parts. I've been told they are coming from Japan.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Wow. Did the guy in the Explorer stop? Is his insurance going to cover the damage? (to bike and you)

Hope so. I could see him just keep on driving.

I hate to see any vehicle with loose cargo. Always makes me nervous. Here in AZ, a lot of pickups have all kinds of garbage on them - I hate those racks that have the wheelbarrows turned upside down on them and unsecured. One really bad bump and that would be a nasty bit of cargo to try to dodge...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Out of curiosity, did the cops site you, the mattress or the Explorer in the accident? :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I know the guy got a ticket for an unsecured load. My insurance guy got a good laugh from the story as has everyone we have told about it. It was just so bizzar even a long time MSF instructor and friend thought I was pulling his leg with this story. I'm now wating to see what the offer from the other guy's insurance is going to be then procede from there.
By the way I was wearing my Nolan N100 helmet the flip front model, a First Gear summer vented jacket and Gloves all three will need replacement.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Don't just accept the insurance "offer" if it doesn't cover the damage and your trouble. I've only had to claim against someone else's insurance once, but being persistant I got them to add a free rental car while mine was being repaired, and makeup pay for any days I'd missed work due to the accident or being in court as a witness against the other driver when he challenged his ticket.

Dave B.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Keep the gear until it is replaced as well. Take lots of photos of everything damaged - including yourself - immediately. Make sure the camera is one with a date-stamp on it. Get them printed immediately at a place that has a date stamp on the back as well.

All of this helps. Even if the guy and his insurance are cooperative now, that can change in a flash...been there myself too many times.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
A month ago a biker collided with a boat tow toy near here. The family had it tied with one long rope, and it swung into the oncoming traffic and took the biker off his bike and killed him. The media reported it as a freak accident. Personally, I think people think "if it comes loose, it probably won't hurt a car."

I'm so glad you are here telling us about this.

On morning going to work I came around a corner and found a large walk through runabout boat upside down on the highway. The owner (large RV) stopped for gas about 200 miles away and was standing there filling up when he finally noticed his trailer was empty. He was so shaken thinking it may have hit someone, the station attendant had to call the State Patrol.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
So many forms of cargo folks move without adequately securing them. Just more proof you have to be careful out there. You never know what might fly at you or be in your path around the next bend!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
With school starting this week or next I've seen all sorts of people moving this and that. Nothing worse than a newish driver driving dad's pickup (which she never drove before) with an oversized load of furniture and all her worldly belongings in the back, dragging a U-haul trailer for the rest.

Surprisingly, though, nearly everyone survives to make the first day of classes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A few years ago I was driving a rental car in Texas on a business trip and came up on a matress someone had dropped in the middle of the freeway. At the time, I wondered what you would do if you were on a motorcycle and couldn't avoid the obstruction.

I'm very glad you came away as well as you did. A real tribute to your riding abilities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here in the UK, I was travelling down the M11 one morning. After having just joined the freeway, traffic across all three lanes was dense, so I stayed riding behind a lorry in the left-hand lane.

Suddenly, lorry in front veers violently into the middle lane. I hit the brakes. Van driver behind me does the same.

I then see why the lorry was in such a hurry to leave its lane; A wheelbarrow goes sumersaulting past its direction of travel. The wheelbarrow had obviously fallen off the back of a van straight into the path of the lorry :shock:

Quick reactions and presence of mind by the lorry driver saved a very nasty collision from happening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts