Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what the theft probability is on the Burgman. Are the many here who have heard of these scoots being ripped off. Do you need to sleep with them like a Harley in order to avoid theft or can you kinda leave them on any street corner with peace of mind. The reason I'm asking is the dealer offered me a replacement insurance package which will give me a brand new scoot for up to 4 years in case of whatever. Deductable is $250 and the package costs $850 for 4 year coverage. Only reason I am considering it is I may leave in the marina parking lot on weekends for up to 3 days at a time and it would give me complete peace of mind knowing it would be replaced in the event of theft. Only problem is I may have to wait an extended period if the dealers were out of stock. :cry: Does this sound like a good package to have or just a rip-off.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Sounds like a very high priced additional insurance policy to me. I'd check with my insurance company and see what replacement coverage would cost thru them.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I've been with this forum for a long time and there has been only one reported theft of a 650 . This was in Australia. Now any bike is subject to theft. I live in Toronto where I monitor another local forum and there are reports there of sportbikes getting stolen all the time. I think these sportbikes are being parted out or used for track bikes.

My coverage includes theft but I guess now that you mention it, it covers the value of the machine at the time of theft. Does the policy your guy offers cover a total replacement cost no matter what for the same identical machine? I would read the fine print really well for any conditions. If your finances allow it may be worth while over 4 years for some good nights sleep.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did read the policy and it is very clear. If it is wrecked, stolen ect. It will be replaced with an exact model of what I had including all additional equipment installed by the dealer for the sum of $250. If it were to be replaced because of an incident in let's say 2007, the insurance company would start a search for a brand new unsold 2005 or 2006 sitting at a dealership. If none were to be found, I would recieve a 2007 model. It may be benificial to Just take regular insurance for the first year as they would replace it with a new one anyway. This proposed policy also covers the difference in deductable of my standard policy and I only need to pay $250 which will allow me to up the deductable to $1000 on my standard policy for a better rate. I obviously need to do some homework here and will contact my insurer to find out what they can offer me and at what price for the same type of deal. It may be benificial to Just take regular insurance for the first year as they would replace it with a new one anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In other words, this policy only covers the difference between what your regular insurance would pay and the cost of a new bike. To me it sounds like just another high priced piece of paper that the dealer is making a huge profit on. If you buy in to it, make sure it is underwritten by a very reputable insurance company, not some fly by night outfit. A major portion of extended warranties and such aren't worth the paper they are written on. (Just my opinion)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Full theft/crash insurance for only $215 a year? Sounds like a bargain to me even simply for the peace of mind you'll get from knowing your bike is covered no matter what. I'd take it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree with twinrider. If I didn't keep the Burger in a garage, or if I anticipated leaving it unattended for longer than 12 hours or so outside, I'd be considering such a package.

Steve

·
Registered
240 Posts
Twinrider said:
Full theft/crash insurance for only $215 a year? Sounds like a bargain to me even simply for the peace of mind you'll get from knowing your bike is covered no matter what. I'd take it.
Since I only have liability (~$70 a year), it seems to be a good addition.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lifegetter said:
Twinrider said:
Since I only have liability (~$70 a year), it seems to be a good addition.
Not exactly as this is a complimentary insurance and I still need to take my regular insurance which is $250/year + the $217. Obviously this comes out to $467/year. This is not exactly right since I do need to fork up the $850 on payment of the machine and pay the $250 each year.

Here's the dilema. IF my ride were to be totaled or stolen. The normal insurance does not replace your unit with a new one. Instead, they write you a check for the value of the machine at the time of the theft. This fiqure obviously gets reduced as the years go by. Now keep in mind they write a check minus the taxes which are lost and on a $10,000 machine here in Quebec we are talking $1500 @ 15%. Basically, if someone stole my ride 2 days after I got it, I would still have to fork out at least $1500 + any depreciation they deem fit in order to replace it. It obviously gets most interesting in the forth year of ownership if something happens as the gain would be several thousands of dollars. Hmmm, it's like playing the lottery, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Question I need to answer is do I want to gamble.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Check with your insurer. They may offer what's called a 'rider policy' (add on to an existing policy) that allows for replacement value of the bike and customization. When I worked for an insurance company, custom cars and bikes often had them to cover their extra value.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Snowride said:
Just curious as to what the theft probability is on the Burgman.
I don't really know how likely it is for these bikes to be stolen and what we hear is that the harley type and the sports bikes are more likely to be stolen, but when I see the way people look my 400 over when I drive by and some of the comments I get and then the way the kids flock up to it and start asking questions makes me really wonder if the burgmans might be a target also. People really seemed to be interested in this bike. Probably some good, some bad. I think if I can help it I wouldnot leave it unattended in a place like that for any lengh of time.

Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Snowride wrote:
Just curious as to what the theft probability is on the Burgman.

Some of the main reasons for bike theft -Resale -parts- joyride- I am happy to say the Burgman just does not fit the profile.
Saw a list once, Most stolen bikes in the US. Some "hot" race bikes had the # 1 spot -HD came in ahead of BMW-don't think scooters made the list. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts