Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, all that.

Cept I didn't know the failing side stand switch, with Key On, would peg the Coolant Temperature Meter, faux simulating an overheat condition -

It says all that in the Manual ?

Hmmm....missed that part

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Cept I didn't know the failing side stand switch, with Key On, would peg the Coolant Temperature Meter, faux simulating an overheat condition -
did you watch the 12 second video I made 3 years ago and linked in post #6? turned the key on with side stand down. after gauge sweep, CHEC displays on the dash, the temp gauge goes full scale. then you can hear the side stand flipped up, CHEC goes away and the temp gauge goes to normal (bike had already been ridden a few miles at this point).
You can say that again.
You spying on me ?
just the loose nut on the seat ;)
nope, just been there, done that, and have a few t-shirts. skipped riding piglet to work one morning because I didn't know where the hazard switch was (it was also dark and I didn't see it)...only difference now is I'm a rookie with a little bit of experience

edit: mispelling (last week eye koodnit spel meekanik)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Yes JRoss I did watch just didn't recall ALL that in the "Heat of the moment" !

The pegged Temp Gauge as part of that routine, I hadn't recalled.

I NEVER use the kill switch cause to me it's asking for a dead battery

If you shut off engine with key all the light are off, no dead battery.

Plus at least on my bike that kill switch has an undetectable detent.

My theory is: I had new slightly larger gloves (TY to Cycle Gear Fayetteville), + Throttle lock / Cruise assist, as I adjusted throttle lock my finger brushed kill switch, and as bike died I quickly scaned gauges while heading for shoulder.

I see Temp pegged at Full Hot & assume bike heated up while I was watching traffic.

Once stopped, no actual evidence of overheat was found, but I assumed an 'overheat shutdown' sensor' had gone crazy sending bad signal.

Obviously I'm still getting acquainted with this bikes various modes.

I can somewhat relate to the Eastern Airlines pilots who crashed their $ 20 million passenger Jet, while distracted - obsessing over a single burned out $.10 landing gear light bulb 💡, when plane was perfect all the while.

(Without the loss of life, obviously.)

So actually I got a spendy lesson...lol.

But wiser now and bike is AOK !

TY so much for your help.

Other than this, my 1350 mile Tour for 6 days to the Scoot The Ozarks was a success.

I rode safe - we rode 425 miles in 2 day tours and didn't kill myself lol.

Met some cool folks & saw some amazing machines.

It's all GOOD ☺ !

Edit: Sorry for being cryptic. I can't be
💯 % sure on this - I suspect I may have hit kill switch.
I've also removed side stand switch from equation.
Either condition, kill switch OR side stand causes same condition - pegged Temp Gauge.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My theory is: I had new slightly larger gloves (TY to Cycle Gear Fayetteville), + Throttle lock / Cruise assist, as I adjusted throttle lock my finger brushed kill switch, and bike dies I quickly scan gauges while heading for shoulder, see Temp pegged at Full Hot & assume bike heated up while I was watching traffic.
so you hit the kill switch on the right handle bar is what caused the bike to shut off and it was NOT the side stand switch? :unsure:

rule of thumb...when the engine dies suddenly, most likely electrical...if it dies slowly, likely fuel. 'rule of thumb', not hard fact 100% of the time.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
so you hit the kill switch on the right handle bar is what caused the bike to shut off and it was NOT the side stand switch? :unsure:

rule of thumb...when the engine dies suddenly, most likely electrical...if it dies slowly, likely fuel. 'rule of thumb', not hard fact 100% of the time.
Edit note:
After permenantly jumping side stand switch, I was testing kill switch & noted same behavior when it's thrown.....
TY - David

PS I rewatched your 12 second video.
It all makes a picture now ☺

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
After permenantly jumping side stand switch, I was testing kill switch & noted same behavior when it's thrown.....
👍 yes, that is a true statement. key on, side stand down or kill switch off, CHEC displays and temp gauge will indicate full hot. as noted in the video, it's not instantaneous...the ECU needs a second or two to think about it.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
882 Posts
The takeaway here is to check the obvious things 1st !!, I guess when someone states "Did you check the kill switch" does not sound too dumb right about now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I like that "Rule of Thumb" it's based on sound principle.

Haven't heard it in that expression til just now.

For sure I was fatigued after the "Ozark Scooter Flog" effort - both exilirating & tiring.

Ya know, the bike coulda had an expensive fault, but darn if these aren't typical reliable Japanese machines.

Seems to run like a Swiss watch.
(One that's made in Japan !)

So it was minor but lesson learned.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The takeaway here is to check the obvious things 1st !!, I guess when someone states "Did you check the kill switch" does not sound too dumb right about now :rolleyes:
Right you are, now.

But being I never regularly use it, I tend to forget it.

There was a time 2 months back when first bought her that I hit Kill Switch intentionally while driving, and clicked it back engine came back to life.

If this was my issue this time it was inadvertent.

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
side stand down or kill switch off, CHEC displays and temp gauge will indicate full hot
faux simulating an overheat condition -

It says all that in the Manual ?
It’s in the user handbook.

Is the 06 different to the k7+?
The hot temp indicator only shows for side stand down on K7+. It isn’t a faux condition it’s diagnostic.

Later bikes:
The kill switch shows “CHEC”
Sidestand shows “CHEC“ and hi temp
But I haven’t ridden an earlier bike in a long time and can’t remember.
If you hit the kill switch and your bike uses the warnings then you have fixed the wrong thing and have disabled a useful safety feature. It is worth checking the handbook if you haven’t alread.

·
Registered
2003 Burgman AN400
83 Posts
I realize its a safety thing, but the first week I had mine, I cut both wires and connected them to disable it. for some reason or another, switches with burgs need cleaning every so often. brake lever, handlebar pods which is also starter button, even ignition switch and side stand switch. an achilles heel

I hope its only that.
What is the procedure to clean the switches? Just some generic contact cleaner sprayed on?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So are you going to bypass the side kickstand switch???:unsure:
Yes, 100%.

I want it to NEVER strand me.

I also warm engine up on side stand.

Please if you want to keep yours, don't follow my example.

I also know, no revving engine on side stand, to show off.

Bad idea with CVT, eh ?

I may be weird here too, but I prefer the Center Stand, which I use when parking at home.

Verga, hope youre getting your rig fixed up.

LETS RIDE someday, yes ?

Get an East Texas Group going.....

Houston's in East Texas right ?

David

21 - 33 of 33 Posts