Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...does this suggest a failed temperature sending unit ?

I'm halfway home to Nacogdoches (East Texas) from STO Rally.

So, 250 miles in, 200 to go and 70mph on S Hwy 59 just past Texarkana, and boom, engine dies....I scan gauges...temp is all the way to H, full pegged.

No signs of overheat. Coolant level in overflow normal, no escaping coolant or drips.

I wait 2 hours while arranging a flat bed tow home. After cooling fully, gauge still goes to full H upon key up.

Ideas ?

So appreciate y'all's help -

David, limping home from STO

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, well that could be the issue.

I definitely saw the CHEC display at one point.

So a side stand switch failure could be described in this case as "side stand up, scooter running, driving, and switch fails internally, and opens circuit, killing ignition"

So to verify, remove harness connector from switch plug, connect jumper to join wires going to switch, to make circuit closed.

If engine starts, Side Stand switch is defective.

How's that sound ?

TY - David

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I realize its a safety thing, but the first week I had mine, I cut both wires and connected them to disable it. for some reason or another, switches with burgs need cleaning every so often. brake lever, handlebar pods which is also starter button, even ignition switch and side stand switch. an achilles heel

I hope its only that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize its a safety thing, but the first week I had mine, I cut both wires and connected them to disable it. for some reason or another, switches with burgs need cleaning every so often. brake lever, handlebar pods which is also starter button, even ignition switch and side stand switch. an achilles heel

I hope its only that.
That makes two of us....I'll check in the AM.

It's seems a backwards way to wire it.

Cause how it is now (correct me if mistaken), the ignition signal is 100% dependent upon going thru that switch, right ?

Why not a grounding switch wired to indicate a side stand down, that grounds ignition signal only in down position, so a failure of switch doesn't STRAND YOU - which is a dangerous safety issue as well.

And if it is just that it cost me $280 for U-Haul & trailer plus I did thank the sweet road angel lady (Stephanie from Texarkana) who generously gave 3 hours of her day rescuing me, hauling me to U-Haul, and helped me load bike & loaned me 2 massive tie downs a big hug & $100 too.

But, I really appreciate your help and IF it's SS switch & can be fixed in this manner,
woo-hoo !!!

So do I understand that if one attempts to key on Burgman with SS down, the Temp Gauge swings all the way to full H ?
And CHEC is indicated ?

TY mucho - David

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
So a side stand switch failure could be described in this case as "side stand up, scooter running, driving, and switch fails internally, and opens circuit, killing ignition"
yes. it removes the ground for the side stand relay removing power from the ECM (one of two), ignition coil, fuel pump, fuel injector, look at the simplified wiring diagram on page 4-13 of the service manual.
But, I really appreciate your help and IF it's SS switch & can be fixed in this manner,
woo-hoo !!!
yes, understand that it can be started on the side stand. remember burgmans are always 'in gear'.
So do I understand that if one attempts to key on Burgman with SS down, the Temp Gauge swings all the way to full H ?
And CHEC is indicated ?
the 07-16 does.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
880 Posts
Yes, "check" message indicates stand is down and/or the safety relay is not getting a ground, the scooter will die.

You can literally drive a sewing pin across the side stand switch wires or jumper at connector, scooter should start, Its also possible that B/W wire is not supplying a ground to side stand switch or diode in switch has failed. Try applying a direct ground from engine block to green wire at side stand switch plug.

BTW, Running without the side stand switch for extended time probably not safe/good, not sure about pre 07 models, but 07+ have a ground protection diode for a reason 🤔

I'll try to post a diagram soon.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome input thx to you both !

I'll need to pull left side Tupperware to access the switch & wires I quite believe.

A bit much for a roadside effort, specially for us 'Newbies'.

And truly I never connected the 2 !

I DID think a "High Temp Sensor" was shutting engine down for self protection.

I WILL be grateful to One & All if this is a resolution - I'm supposed to leave in 5 days for my Tour to So Cal.

Funny thing, right before bike quit I was talking to my buddy (via my new BT Helmet from Cycle Gear !) and he asked, "so is it running well enough to feel safe to drive to San Diego ?"

I'm like "yeah, like a champ we flogged it 450 miles thru Ozarks plus drive up as and hasn't skipped a beat !"

10 seconds later, this.

You can't make this stuff up LOL LOL 😂

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
880 Posts
You probably can get to switch itself by pulling the lower skirt panel and try the "sewing pin thru the wires fix", no danger of shorts as is a ground supply, no power, done this several times over the years, to get home :cool:

This quick diagram may help.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Number

·
Super Moderator
6,037 Posts
If you haven’t done it already, check the side stand is secure and firmly held in place when up in case it’s a mechanical rather than electrical issue.

The later bikes have 2 springs and can drop if one is broken or missing.

It is less likely - but a side stand in the down position can put a permanent end to your riding days.

·
Premium Member
19,072 Posts
that's probably covered in either the owner's manual or service manual, like the chec/sidestand/ temp thing is, I think there is a link on here where you can order both, great reading when you are in the "throne room".

·
Registered
54 Posts
BTW, Running without the side stand switch for extended time probably not safe/good, not sure about pre 07 models, but 07+ have a ground protection diode for a reason 🤔
sounds like an anti-kickback diode to protect the ecu from transient voltage generated when the switch breaks contact. you could jumper out the switch using a diode, but i'd bet it's probably pretty safe to just jumper it out permanently

·
Premium Member
19,072 Posts
Perfect guys that was it, can you believe it ?!?

I carefully connected, and taped wires to prevent water intrusion, no more hassles.

Only cost me $400 for my "roadside mis-diagnosis" lol.

Thanks for your rapid & expert input / diagrams !
that 400 would have paid for your manuals, and you would haave known when it happened if you had read that part, been back on the road in 5 minutes

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
B on a B just needs to "slow down." When panic sets in rational goes out the window.

A moments reflection would have reminded him that he had already (incorrectly on first occasion) made this diagnosis previously.
The advise about faulty side stands /switches had been given already - just not absorbed, apparently - back in July.

A digital PDF copy of the manual in your phone is also a good tool to carry - advise ignored?

This episode will hopefully have been a good lesson, if costly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts