Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
interesting concept, looks to be in prototype form unless the concept was to go for a 'Mad Max' look. Why the need to got with the drawn out tail look? Would there be any aerodynamic advantage in that rear design?
It could make a worthy foundation for inclusion of solar panels and working towards either hybrid or electric propulsion, though weight would need to likelu be reduced somewhat to come up with any advantages...
Reminds me a little of the BMW C1 if only in concept.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
How does one get out or put your feet down at stops to keep from flopping over?

"Farther down in this page, you will see Rohit Sachhdev's streamlined Burgman scooter. It, too, has a pretty good shape but has very irregular surfaces. His bodywork is huge... totally enclosing the rider. And yet, he was able to go 70 mph and slip thru the winds at 57mpg."

I've gotten as high as 59 mpg on my '09 650 on one stretch of the I-15/I-70 before no added bodywork necessary.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have the time, read through Craig Vetter's fuel economy racing website at the link above. Credits go to DaveJ for pointing me there.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't see anything about average speed on Craig Vetter's page.

·
Registered
252 Posts
"On the road and in the wind, Rohit's bike blew around more than anything we had ever seen. But he never blew over and he never left the pavement."

Yep, that's the Burgman :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would you streamline if it improved you mileage by 30% or more.

I understand that the ductape Burgman is a prototype fairing but even when smoothed out and refined, it would still be ugly.

What is missing from the competition is any information on how much gain you get from a particular design feature. e.g., long tail.

This old streamliner shown below seems to be about the most practical for carrying the equivalent of 4 bags of groceries at over 70 mph at over 70 mpg.

How do you think it looks? Would you buy a streamlined top box similar to this one if it increased your mileage by 30 mpg. at 70 mph?

The best "Official mileage" was when I got 108 mpg in the 1982 contest

The best "Official mileage" was when I got 108 mpg in the 1982 contest

·
Registered
352 Posts
Man... over 100 mpg back in 1982?! :eek:

You have to wonder why more of this design and technology isn't in-use today.

I'd like a "blend" of my B400 and that design, I think the 'Burg really isn't too far off from that now, actually. The raised rear would take some getting used to, but the carrying capacity would be nice.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I understand that the ductape Burgman is a prototype fairing but even when smoothed out and refined, it would still be ugly.
Classic function over form. If a riding a suppository would give them better mileage thats what they would do. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Classic function over form. If a riding a suppository would give them better mileage thats what they would do. :rolleyes:
^Better worded than anything I could come up with--there is no substantive, broad market competitive, or fiscally viable reason for any of the silliness exhibited in these competitions or individual projects--if there were manufacturers would pursue the designs.

While a more streamlined yet astoundingly impractical shell for a Burgman. or any other vehicle might yield some minor improvement in efficiency, only a few whack-jobs, (I.e. no one in the real world) cares.

MPG, 55 or 65, means nothing to me; in fact the modifications I made to the variator ramp plate and torque multiplier spring cost me about a 5 mpg--the price paid to achieve a VERY noticeable increase in acceleration and overall performance--you cannot have both top MPG and best "performance"

It's a variant of "safe, fast, cheap; you only get to pick two"

Harley said years ago when they moved from the 74 in³ to the 80 in³ engine--"It's the best way the add 6" between you legs." MPG dropped but no one gave a crap...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Vetter's point is that a significantly lowered general fuel consumption for transport would mean that USA wouldn't have to import oil.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/Freedom-Machine-intro.html
The Freedom Machine
A proposal for a new class of motor vehicles that is based upon the amount of fuel it consumes
Free at last
We have cars, busses, motorcycles and motorhomes. Each is different and serves a unique purpose. What about a new kind of vehicle whose purpose is to free our country from importing foreign fuel? Lets call it the Freedom Machine. It won't look like anything you have seen.
This is my proposal for energy independence and real job creation
"3 out of every 4 gallons of our vehicles' fuel is imported from foreigners. This is making us poor and making them rich. Some of them hate us. They use what was once our money to try to destroy us."

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Yeah, Vetter's a bit strident... but it's a valid point.

The main use for a streamliner scooter wouldn't be day-to-day commuting and errands, it'd be for extended riding at high speeds. Getting 240 reliable miles per tank (60 MPG) at interstate highway speeds on a 650 rather than just 160 (40 MPG*) would be a a fair tradeoff for the odd appearance, and you'd end up with some extra luggage space. I also suspect it'd reduce rear-tire wear slightly as well, as it would require less driving force to be transmitted through the tire contact patch. Honestly, there really isn't a large market for something like this though -- most people wouldn't want to stay in the (stock) saddle for longer than one full tank of gas will last anyhow.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Seems like the extra weight would impact mileage. Looks pretty heavy to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well from some of the comments it is a wonder we are moving forward at all!

Using less fuel should be a priority for all of us no matter what you can afford!

I guess it is all about me and **** with the future generation that would provoke these kind of remarks.

The Burgman scooters have a great following but it seems that innovation and creativity is taboo around here! Am I correct on this?

It seems that a Burgman is a Burgman no matter how it is packaged and to discredit forward thinking is very narrow minded in a forum as large as this.

Is this an open or controlled forum for just the pure elite?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been following the Vetter challenge for several years. Some people like Harley's, others like modern bikes, yet others will always experiment & puss the boundaries. That is way there are so many types of bikes out there. The Burgman 650 is a poor choice for this. I have always wondered if the transmission could be programed to have an economy setting also.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts