Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and am considering a 650 burgman purchase. Currently own a honda helix 250.

Interested in your thoughts/opinions on differences I am likely to notice and thus should consider. Also, do you find the burgman to have good stability at all speeds/road types??

Thanks for advice!

Drew

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Phenomenal - few bikes I've ridden will take a sweeper at 150kph hit a frost heave which bottoms the suspension and stay dead on line with nary a wobble.

The suspension is short but the bike is stable.

You may want to read this

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

The Silverwing I owned liked to track ruts and cracks on the highway - the Burgman just stays on line.
Much superior bike and watch for the VFR800 rider's comment
"If this was a race, there would be no losing the Burgman 650"

Whole different world for you.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I came off a Helix to a Burgman 400. It's a better transition as they're both more scooter-like and low seat height. But the 650 is super stable at speed, more so than the helix due to the weight. But it's a much different bike. Lots of power. Takes a bit of getting used to.

You can't go wrong with either. What type of riding you do most should guide your decision.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I rode my friends Helix for a month and 400 miles before I decided to get my own bike. I bought a 650. The 650 is much heavier. Both to push around and making sharp turns. I dropped the 650 once making a u turn on a two lane road. In windy conditions the Helix could make a sudden lane change in the blink of an eye. The 650 gives me just a slight wobble but this isn't fair to the Helix as I had not yet had the MSF course and learned counter steering. I've wondered how it would have faired had I known then what I know now. The 650 is more comfortable on the open highways and interstates. The Helix is nicer in town. The Helix got me hooked on riding.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had and rode a Helix for 10 years before trading it on my Burgman 650 Executive. Still wish I had room for the Helix in my garage, but alas one bike had to go and the Helix drew the short straw. I do miss the Helix, it was just so handy to pop over and grab groceries or to go pay bills. Probably should have traded the V-Strom in instead of the Helix...

As to the Burgman, I just don't get it out as often as I did the Helix. Too heavy getting it off of the side stand and backing it out. I like it just fine when not backing it up but there is always that backing. Out of the garage, out of parking spaces, etc. Did I mention it is a heavy bike? There is also transmission drag to add to the weight when backing although I hear the new Burgmans are better on the transmission drag.

During the time I owned my Helix, I rode it all over the southeast USA. Even though the seat was a little low for me, I still took it almost everywhere. Loved that little bike.

Now I will catch crap from everyone here as I am telling you to think real hard about selling your Helix. But did I tell you I loved my Helix as ugly as it was?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As told from my dad, who is on his 3rd Helix and his 2nd Burgman, "I like the Helix to putt around town, but the Burgman is made for the longer distance". He has room for both in his garage. As he gets older I think he will ride the Helix more. The extra throttle at 70mph is great to get by in traffic.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
DougInKY says it hard to puck backwards yes but shift it into manual mode and it becomes muck easier. I never had or rode Helix but did have a 400.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Never had a Helix, but had a Honda Reflex that I learned to ride on. Loved it, but decided to opt for something a little bigger. Thought about the Burgman 650, but figured I would try baby steps (250cc, 400cc, then 650cc). I can't speak for the 650, but I have found the 400 to be a great choice for me. It is heavier than my old Reflex so it is easier to ride when windy and can handle the higher speeds easier. Also much better if you ever have a passenger. The 400 seemed like a good stepping stone for me and it comes at a little better price. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've got to concur with these comments. The difference between the Helix and 650 is night and day. The 400 is a nice compromise between the two if you can only have one bike.

But... If you can have two, keep the Helix for putting around town and the get the 650 for more serious riding. I just did 700 miles this past weekend on the big burg with narry a hiccup. Love that bike.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
+1 I've made it a habit to put it into manual before switching the engine off.
I try to remember to do this as you are right. Night and day difference in pushing the Burgman backwards in manual mode as long as the engine is off. I tried to do it yesterday in manual mode with the engine running and I think mine is even harder to push back in manual mode than automatic. Again this was with the engine running.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and am considering a 650 burgman purchase. Currently own a honda helix 250.

Interested in your thoughts/opinions on differences I am likely to notice and thus should consider. Also, do you find the burgman to have good stability at all speeds/road types??

Thanks for advice!

Drew
The Burgman (650) is rock solid on the highway but it is very big and very heavy at very slow speeds. It is meant for the highway. There are probably better choices if you do your riding in the city.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I try to remember to do this as you are right. Night and day difference in pushing the Burgman backwards in manual mode as long as the engine is off. I tried to do it yesterday in manual mode with the engine running and I think mine is even harder to push back in manual mode than automatic. Again this was with the engine running.
Mine pushes the same in manual mode engine on or off. Not sure why yours would be different when both of ours are the same year. :confused:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
But... If you can have two, keep the Helix for putting around town and the get the 650 for more serious riding.
This is a very practical approach. (My "small bike" is a 150cc Vespa.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a Helix a couple of months ago and really, really enjoyed it but it was just too low and slow to ride around these maniac cagers so I bought a 2008 Burgman 400. I figured I'd sell the Helix. I wrote up a great ad, took some pictures and waited for the weekend to post it. I was sad and wanted to take one last ride before posting it on Craigslist. It was then I realized that I LOVED the Helix and I talked wife into letting me keep it up at our weekend cottage in the country and talked her into getting her permit so she can learn on it. I've had a lot of bikes but I think the Helix rates right up there as one of my faves.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Have owned 2 Helix's and 2 Burgmans. Loved all of them. Learned on the Helix, and traded up for a Burg 400, and finally to a Burg 650. The Burg 400 is a great comprimise between the Helix and Burg 650, as is is great around town, but also very capable on the hwys. If you ride 2Up, and do alot of Hwy riding the 650 is the choice. Good luck in whatever you choose. Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts