Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
That is one good looking scooter :!:
I like the neat (clean) back end. if I want I backrest I can add it or put a touring box / backrest combo.
If I was not happy with my 400 and wanted / needed bigger , yes I would buy it. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
It's one slick looking bike. I might buy one but I'd have to get another shield for cool weather riding.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks, Andre. I have seen this, but it’s just the usual ‘exhibition’ bike that all manufacturers show at motor shows. Honda showed a SW600 with a short screen but haven’t manufactured it. Why bother? They owner can do that themselves quite easily from a myriad of screens available… Honda did bring out a Sports model last year, however, that has the standard model’s aluminium coloured forks, frame, brakes, etc replaced by black coloured items. They are selling well, here. No doubt the addition of an AN650 style Power Mode button has helped, too. :lol:

In reality, the bike pictured here is only a simple custom – muffler change, handlebar conversion and short screen. They’d be hard pressed to ask buyers to pay more for that over a standard model.

The true Suzuki’s Type S formula is:
• Black front forks
• Black brake calipers front and rear
• Short screen
• Metallic handlebar conversion
• Sporty instrument panel
• Exhaust pipe must stay as standard to pass emissions and noise regulations

If you look at the Suzuki Japan website or Suzuki Canada website and see the AN250/400 Type S and standard models, you will see that a simple handlebar conversion, and loud pipe won’t hit the spot.
http://www.suzuki.ca/en/bike/intro.cfm? ... ry=scooter

Factory customs only appear once a significant number of buyers for the standard product have been customizing their vehicles, or when the standard model needs to be jazzed up to stay competitive. This is the case in Japan where 250/400 riders routinely customize their machines, and the new in 2000 Forza (Reflex) was sold with black wheels as standard, and marketed as a one model “Hi-Sports” range (changing the face of big-scooter design forever). Suzuki responded by rushing out the Type S in 2002 to keep their AN250 in the ball park. You rarely see a non-Type S An250/400 here.

I’ve seen one customised 650 in 12 months, but customized SW600s are often seen – probably because they have sold the most. The TMax’s looks match it’s niche well enough as standard to not required customization. Suzuki will only offer a Type S 650 from the factory if they know they can sell it in large numbers. No market is returning enough orders to make this feasible now. Hopefully it will become feasible, but this won’t be it – especially as the exhaust pipe makes it illegal in most countries. :?

End of lecture. :wink:

A real Type S style conversion is available now via standard customization:
US$200 – metallic handlebar conversion
US$500 – wheel painting
US$0 – short screen – the standard screen is short enough!
US$n - analogue rev counter, speedo, oil temp gauge, that can be mounted on the metallic handle bars

That said, the 650 is already in a state of mild Type S customisation as standard – especially when in white - so the main thing to do is to paint the wheels black. I’m looking into doing this now, and should be enough of a Type S conversion for a start. Following that, I’m nearer to fitting full colour car-type DVD satellite navigation on the standard handlebars, and fitting the OEM electric mirror conversion than going the full Type S custom route on the handlebars, etc. I'll post up pictures in a couple of months once it's done. 8)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I see on the Burgmania.net is the Silver 650 in the logo showen in negative or someone has made big changes to the exhaust pipe system??

BTW: I love the red colour design, hmmm. I have to think about it.
Does the Type-S has differencies only on the outside or the inside (motor, CVT) is changed (more power) too??

cheers

Slepejs

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
lycheed said:
I’m looking into doing this now, and should be enough of a Type S conversion for a start. Following that, I’m nearer to fitting full colour car-type DVD satellite navigation on the standard handlebars, and fitting the OEM electric mirror conversion than going the full Type S custom route on the handlebars, etc. I'll post up pictures in a couple of months once it's done. 8)
That would make a very interesting How to, particularly the electric mirror conversion - I might be up for that!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'll keep you informed when I actually get around to doing it.
The elecric mirror conversion is easy to do - simply ride to your nearest Suzuki shop, bung them 150 quid, wait a couple of days, and 'Bingo' you've got completly new left-hand switchgear with a blue button on the top.
I'll probably end up doing the same with the wheels, too. That's looking like being near to 250 quid -but it'll look tough and free me from having to wipe the brake dust off the wheels after every weekend's touring.

Are the electric mirrors not available as a retro-fit in the UK?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
lycheed said:
They are not listed as an accessory in their catalogue (yet) :cry:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Slepejs said:
I see on the Burgmania.net is the Silver 650 in the logo showen in negative or someone has made big changes to the exhaust pipe system??
It's just a metallic heat shield on the ABS model replacing the black plastic heat shield on the standard model.

Slepejs said:
BTW: I love the red colour design, hmmm. I have to think about it.
Does the Type-S has differencies only on the outside or the inside (motor, CVT) is changed (more power) too??

cheers

Slepejs

It's just looks, Slepejs. Everyone gets an equally strong mechanical package, but can chose how it looks. I agree that this colour is striking. There really is a good argument for custom painting ANs because there is so much plastic - you really must have it the way you want it. I wanted white, and got it. 8)

·
Registered
498 Posts
NormanB said:
lycheed said:
They are not listed as an accessory in their catalogue (yet) :cry:
Bar stewards! :x You should emigrate to Japan, Norm. You're already awake most of Japan daylight time as it is... :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I take 5 hours sleep whether I need it or not!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Andre, I forget to say - I saw this at the Motorshow in 2003. Seeing the '37th Motorshow' noted on the picture, jogged my memory - last year was the 38th Motorshow.

You get a lefthand view on this link if you scroll down, as well as all the bikes on show that year.

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/show/200 ... zuki2.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I saw the G-Strider I just made some calculation, they are funny, but ....... hmmmmmm

Just some numbers??
TRUE
model 250
HP 21

TRUE
model 400
HP 33

TRUE
model 650
HP 55

??
model 900
HP 75

??
model 1300
HP 109

Interesting!!!!
Future cc
400:250=1.6
650:400=1.6
900:650=1.4
1300:900=1.4

Future HP
250:21=12
400:33=12
650:55=12
900:75=12 G-Strider 900cc CVT
1300:109=12

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lycheed said:
Hi Andre, I forget to say - I saw this at the Motorshow in 2003. Seeing the '37th Motorshow' noted on the picture, jogged my memory - last year was the 38th Motorshow.

You get a lefthand view on this link if you scroll down, as well as all the bikes on show that year.

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/show/200 ... zuki2.html
That is the same link I posted on top. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way Lycheed, any sign of the 2005 Skywaves yet?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get ask my dealer to import me an AN650LX (in black) as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Andre said:
That is the same link I posted up top.

By the way Lycheed, any sign of the 2005 Skywaves yet?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get ask my dealer to import me an AN650LX (in black) as soon as they are available.
So it is. I thought it looked familiar... :wink:

No sign of the 2005s yet, although shops have been selling them. I suppose having an order for something that you don't actually have yet is a nice problem to have. Better than having no orders at all. :wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts